Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Hail damage

I am sick. Softball sized hail just beat up my 06 Bambi. I called my insurance carrier but does anyone know how this get fixed? Email me...
[edit by moderator staff: email address removed to control spammers. Please contact member via private messaging system]
thanks guys
Nightwind15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the insurance will cover it it will have to go back to Ohio.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwind15 View Post
I am sick. Softball sized hail just beat up my 06 Bambi. I called my insurance carrier but does anyone know how this get fixed? Email me...

thanks guys
The Airstream dealer in Little Rock, can handle that body work.

They are well qualified to do so.

DO NOT settle with your insurance company. Take the trailer to a dealer and get an estimate. Then you have talking power. All insurance companies will attempt to make their own estimate, that they are "NOT" qualified to do.

The dealer can much better communicate with your insurance company, than most individuals.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Actually not Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The Airstream dealer in Little Rock, can handle that body work.

They are well qualified to do so.

DO NOT settle with your insurance company. Take the trailer to a dealer and get an estimate. Then you have talking power. All insurance companies will attempt to make their own estimate, that they are "NOT" qualified to do.

The dealer can much better communicate with your insurance company, than most individuals.

Andy
Well, close to Little Rock, anyway. Airstream of Arkansas (Airstream of Arkansas: RVs for Sale in Searcy, AR - Airstream, Airstream Trailers For Sale - Airstream Travel Trailer) is 50 miles north (on Interstate like US 167) in Searcy, Arkansas. Also, look for posts by Airhog1, Gene from AOA.

Andy is right; they do good work and are true believers. Friendly people in Searcy, Little Rock, and Arkansas in general. One caveat, if it matters to you, White County is dry so any needed supplies must be purchased prior to leaving Pulaski County on 167. There will be lots of huge emporiums as you approach the county line.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Do you want original bucked rivets or Olympic rivets for the repair? See what your insurance company will cover,If you want bucked rivets take to the Factory Service in Ohio. What all was damaged?
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree. I've heard great things about Airstream of Arkansas. Also have seen what the factory service center can do. Your best bet is to take it to A of A or get some pics taken and send them to the Airstream service center and have them work up a quote.

My sense is that if it was softball sized hail, your unit may look as if someone hit it with a baseball bat in many places. It could be conceivable that the cost to repair could outweigh the value. I say that because I have seen many a totaled Airstream from severe hail damage...but it's hard to say for sure without pics or getting some estimates.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
One caveat, if it matters to you, White County is dry so any needed supplies must be purchased prior to leaving Pulaski County on 167.
Yes, my mother in San Antonio has said it's been unparallelled dry since August of last year.

Though I did grow up in Texas and know exactly what you're sayin'....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I've seen Airstream of Arkansas's body work in person. Top quality, first rate repair. Great and friendly dealer to boot!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Yes, my mother in San Antonio has said it's been unparallelled dry since August of last year.

Ha!

I can't tell if you two are agreeing or talking past one another, but either way, it's funny as heck!

Austin has been in severe drought for almost two years now, fortunately the county is not dry, so my "supplies" are well stocked.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
dry here too

Dry in Texas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Farmer.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	78208  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sorry to hear about your trailer. We'd be sick too.

Here's how insurance companies often handle disasters such as hailstorms. If you got hit, probably a lot of others did too. They'll bring in claims adjusters from all over, many of whom know nothing about your claim. They will try to give you a check on the spot, usually for too little, and get rid of you. Or, they will try to send you to a shop that doesn't know what it's doing because they will work cheap for the insurance company.

When Denver got hit by a major hailstorm in the late '80's and our SUV got whacked, my company offered me half of what it would cost. I had an estimate in hand. I just kept talking louder and louder about how they were trying to cheat me, lowball me, etc. The room was full of other insured with claims and immediately the boss came over to me and offered me a bunch more money. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to get in their face.

Read your policy first before you make a claim. I hope you have replacement coverage. I agree, if you were hit by softball sized hail, the trailer may be totaled. I've seen what golf ball sized hail does and it ain't pretty.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
hi
the last big hail storm that came thru a few years ago i got hit . two vehicles my classis motor home and the roof on my house. 48k was the final pay out by the ins co. i got an education on state farm tactics. they tryed to low ball me every way the could. one thing i did learn by alabama law if yout vehicle has more damage than 75% of the units value. their book not yours it is totaled. and they only pay the 75 % figure. and they will take the vehicle. my motor home was 74% so i got a check and kept the unit. we had hail here in south huntsville but not the large stuff. i got a ding or two but nothing to get excited about.
good luck some one mentioned sending pictures for an estimate. that is the best way to do that . if not you will be burning a lot of gas getting same and it will not be recoverable. most ins co will not pay for the trip to the repair shop.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

Good one! Where in Texas?

I bought my ’67 Trade Wind in San Marcos when I lived between Wimberley and Driftwood. Before that I lived in Dumas and Dalhart up in the top of the panhandle. Really dry there, but not the same kind of dry as Arkansas’ dry counties. Trust me, it has (recently) led to driving from White to Woodruff County for relief from the drought.

And, I can pronounce Bexar County, Bourne, Manchaca, and Pedernales.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Back to Hail

Back on topic, I feel your pain. I bought my Excella this way. For now I just try not to let it bother me. The story was that it had been towed through a hailstorm. Makes sense to me, almost all the damage is to the front cap with very little elsewhere. Right now, repair is not in the budget. I know budget is a dirty word for Airstreamers, forgive me all.

You can now see the reason for my avatar, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Without Cap 1600.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	78211  
Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Oddly enough, after a few heat and cold cycles, some of the dents seem to work themselves out...not perfect, but I noticed this on my car that took one for the team a few years back. Still ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but she still turns a few heads and looks far better than it did the day after it happened.

This won't typically work though for softball sized hail....maybe pea sized.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Good one! Where in Texas?

I bought my ’67 Trade Wind in San Marcos when I lived between Wimberley and Driftwood. Before that I lived in Dumas and Dalhart up in the top of the panhandle. Really dry there, but not the same kind of dry as Arkansas’ dry counties. Trust me, it has (recently) led to driving from White to Woodruff County for relief from the drought.

And, I can pronounce Bexar County, Bourne, Manchaca, and Pedernales.

How about Seguin??

Andy
Old 04-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hail Estimates.

An estimate for "hail" damage made from photo's can easily be challenged, since it usually has guess work in it.

An estimate for "hail" damage made from an eyeball inspection, is far superior. Then the only part that can be challenged is the labor hours and cost of materials.

Minor hail damage is usually replaced when the coach is not more than 3 to 4 years old.

After that period, "loss of value" settlements are made, except for parts broken, such as exterior lights, vent covers, AC shroud, and of course broken windows.

The best a person can do, is have enough of an insurance background, so that you can talk their language or better, but by far, the very best way to obtain a top notch settlement, is to let an educated dealer handle the claim for you.

An Airstream dealer or service center that has been around many years, and routinely does major Airsream body work, is by far, the best place to go, since they also deal with "values." That same dealer should also have an excellent reputation with the major insurance carriers.

Ask questions directed to a dealer that you may not have a personal experience factor with. Or ask those that have that experience.

The factory does ok, but they do not have the retail value experience that a dealer does.

The old original "flat rate manual" that I wrote in 1970, is a valueable tool when dealing with an insurance company and/or an unqualified adjuster.

Andy
Old 04-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Seguin Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
How about Seguin??

Andy
Hi Andy,

As a matter of fact, I had a couple of sets of heads machined in a shop in Seguin that also repaired cars for an antique car museum. Saw some incredible cars there.

Also north of Seguin was a crumbling adobe structure with a funny car in front. I pulled over and discovered it was a jet dragster. There was also a jet semi truck and a turbine powered (farm type) tractor. Also, sitting on a stand was a 4-row radial aircraft engine. (Pratt & Whitney R-4360 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) What a beast! I was never able to find out who owned all that.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
There was also a jet semi truck.....What a beast! I was never able to find out who owned all that.
A fella named Bob Motz used to own that truck if we're talking about the same one. A red/burgandy t-800?
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in MO View Post
A fella named Bob Motz used to own that truck if we're talking about the same one. A red/burgundy t-800?
As I recall, it was white with a couple of accent stripes. I have seen others on TV, but still strikes me as strange.

Tags
2006 bambi