Old 12-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #29
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
like the screws they used to attach the clearance lights. They rusted to the point they were hard to remove within two years of the manufacture date. I would have gladly have paid the extra dime for a stainless screw rather than having to spend more later, in addition to two hours on a step ladder replacing them. You're exactly right, a few simple fixes at the factory, and better quality components, would cause less grief later on for everyone involved .
AS is well-known for using cheap junk fasteners; think what I'm going through with our '83?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
I totally agree with you regarding the simple, inexpensive fixes up front that would prevent the owner problems later, and I appreciate your perspective. My response was directed at the practices of the company. I have quite a list of similar suggestions, but it would be repetitive (and again, nothing Airstream hasn't already heard), so I'll use one simple example... like the screws they used to attach the clearance lights. They rusted to the point they were hard to remove within two years of the manufacture date. I would have gladly have paid the extra dime for a stainless screw rather than having to spend more later, in addition to two hours on a step ladder replacing them. You're exactly right, a few simple fixes at the factory, and better quality components, would cause less grief later on for everyone involved .
Airstream did use this type light with screws that were not of the quality that people expected.Those lights have not been used for almost 3 years now(no exposed screws).Replacement screws where available if they rusted.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Airstream did use this type light with screws that were not of the quality that people expected.Those lights have not been used for almost 3 years now(no exposed screws).Replacement screws where available if they rusted.

Thanks, Lynn. That's great news. I suppose it shows some progress. Odd that AS didn't mention the replacement screws when I contacted them directly about it, and a host of other warranty issues.

For what it's worth, my dealership also replaced (at their expense) the badly corroded tail light bezels with replacements purchased from Airstream. They promptly corroded too. After the first rear vent cover disintegrated within 14 months, Airstream was also kind enough to send me the exact same model cover as the original ($11 bucks at a nearby RV parts supply... the cheapest one in their store). I guess my point is, that even though it was clearly demonstrated that they were using inferior components, they continued to replace them with the same inferior components.

Ironically, I still feel a bit screwed.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
San Clemente , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Attention Airstream Management,
I hope you will take this letter in the spirit in which it is meant. I am very disappointed and a little disillusioned at Airstream. I have been looking for the right model airstream for me, for over a year. Last week, I drove 500 miles from my home in Florida to a dealer in South Carolina to check out and purchase a few months old 2008 19 foot Safari SE. It is a great machine and my experience with the dealer, Carolina RV, was excellent. My disappointment is with you...Airstream.
Design, Innovation, Quality, Leadership, sound familiar? While my problem is not monumental by any means, it boggles my mind HOW and Why a product of this caliber was allowed off the production line with such a profound flaw. Someone really dropped the ball. I think a lot of people dropped the ball.
My problem has to do with the bathroom light. Its operation has been POORLY thought out. It will not work unless all the rear halogen lights are also turned on. The first problem occurs if someone needs to use the john in the middle of the night. He or she must illuminate the entire bedroom with the halogen lights..waking up the unlucky partner in order to be able to have light in the john. The second problem occurs if you are off the grid on battery power. (You do tout this as one of the great benefits of this trailer.) Problem number two is why must we drain the battery down using all the halogen lights when all I need is the small light in the john? When you're off the grid, battery power is like gold. Why purposely design in waste?
What happened to the design and innovation and leadership on this one?
A creative solution to this problem would go a long way towards redemption.
Sincerely
Ron

I have pondered this lighting issue as well. They do make stick on battery powered lighting that work rather well. Their about 6 inches in diameter and activate by simply pushing the lens in for on and again for off that give decent lighting.

I know that this is not a fix to the problem but as with many of the seemingly unexplainable quirks that airstream has, like storage. There are ways around most of these short comings.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
My 25' CCD SS has the same poor light design. It should have been done differently AND I agree that it is too little a problem to get to upset over. I have also attached the stick-up LED inside the bath. My fan has no wall switch to operate it -- so I'm confused (not hard to do) with the re-wire. We sometimes leave a small night light on in the kitchen area.

I LOVE my Airsream!!!!! and it's not even Thursday.

Tags
2007 bambi