Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Just a point of reference, we have not been camping in any hot weather yet. First 2 times out the heater was on briefly as well, the air circulation on the bed was horrible. Your camper is different from ours though so maybe yours will circulate better.

Sure is a pretty unit. Love the wrapped windows in the rear.

I know that the windows are different but the Sport 16's I have seen have exactly the same layout (the exception being the location of the bathroom door). I simply don't notice problems with airflow. Even when we have the trailer buttoned up tight we are fine.

I have some ability to be sensitive to tight surroundings so I sympathize with what you are saying. Maybe it is my time spent on little sailboats that has prepared me for the living in small space????

I would give it some time, maybe you will "adjust".

Good luck,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
We love our 34' triaxle, but would like to have a small single axle in the fleet as well

My grandpa fixed up a '58 Traveler, which I believe is 17' or 18'. I wanted to buy it from him, but some other guy came along out of the blue and offered him a small fortune for it so he sold it before he'd planned to. So I didn't get a little one.

They would be great for parks and stuff where the long ones don't fit. Have fun with it!

See ya on the road,
Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
Bruce B - great info. Yes, ProPride makes a great product. I was super happy with this on our 25'.

Wow a 4d battery. The Lifeline specs on that are something like 124lbs. That thing is a beast. Curious to hear about your boondocking experiences (how long on battery). Do your run solar? Assume your '12 has LCD lights? Would love a picture of your custom battery box.

I'm planning on having some angle steel stock welded on top of the a-frame to hold a Group 31 AGM battery. I'm also going to repaint the a-frame, it had moderate rust.

Any other battery replacement thoughts?

Super jealous of a five week trip... I'm still a working stiff.

BC

We should not take the time off we do... I tend to live by the "...life is short...." theory.

As for the battery box mod, I wanted to be able to make it an easy two days without charging. The 4d battery gives us that ability easily.... In fact with the factory installed solar panel we have never seen the battery lower than the 60% mark in two days of boondocking.

I have spent the last 40 minutes trying post a copy of the link to the mod.
Airforums is not cooperating this morning so you will have to search for it.

The post was titled "2012 Airstream Mods on 16' International"

I tend to post when I begin one of these projects.

Bruce
Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #24
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I know that the windows are different but the Sport 16's I have seen have exactly the same layout (the exception being the location of the bathroom door). I simply don't notice problems with airflow. Even when we have the trailer buttoned up tight we are fine.

I have some ability to be sensitive to tight surroundings so I sympathize with what you are saying. Maybe it is my time spent on little sailboats that has prepared me for the living in small space????

I would give it some time, maybe you will "adjust".

Good luck,
Bruce
I do have a fan now which fixes "my imagination". To a degree I think you may have a point, I don't sleep well at home without a ceiling fan on, so maybe it is conditioning that is causing my lack of sleep. I got a Vortex Zippi and a Vortex Flippi which I set on the shelf I added above the foot of the bed depending on how much I want to move the air. They both store in next to no space so it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Zippi-...682TYKPZ1V2PVK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Gee wiz,
You are quoting me using the word "imagine". I will in my defense point out that I never insinuated that your "issue" was "imagined".
Now you have me wondering....
Bruce
Old 05-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #26
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I redid the comment probably while you were reading it. I was doing it in jest and decided the jest was "jest snippy".
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
... update:

1) battled a second leak (first was Fantastic Vent which I sealed). This one seemed to be caused by having the AS parked with the street side high. Water in under the fridge... solved when I leveled the AS.

2) replaced the sony 15" TV with a Samsung 19". Replaced the swing arm. Had issues with the mount and the existing plate. Made it all work, painted the gray plate black to match new swing arm and TV. Turned out nice but took essentially most of Sunday. Looks nice. Strangely I'm picky about how the TV looks/mounts but I don't really watch TV...

3) swapped out lights for LEDs from led4rv.com based on recommendation on the forum. easy, no problem. we got the "warm white" which is really yellow. These, probably mixed with the blueish LED light make human skin look a bit green. Or maybe it is just our skin. we agreed we'd get the regular blue/white LED if we did it again (had this on our previous AS).

4) Air conditioner. We're on our second AS and we've used the AC exactly ZERO times. Is this crazy: swap the AC out for a second vent? Free up roof space (and weight) for some additional solar possibilities. Anyone done this? Can keep AC if/when we sell the unit. Probably not searching well, but can't find any threads on this.

BC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #28
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Air Circulation

renderit,

You are right about the lack of air circulation in the bed area. How does a company like Airstream who builds such a wonderful trailer install such a teeny tiny crank out slot window on the rear of the Bambi?

I added a clip on fan that I attach to the arm of the TV and then I also put a small box fan on the dinette table facing to the rear along with the front window open so that air gets into the back of the trailer.

Previously I had a 17' Casita which had three huge sliding windows at the rear which if anything I had to keep slightly open due to the large airflow. Having horizontal mini blinds you could still have privacy and open windows while sleeping at night.

It took Airstream 7 years to fix the bathroom door location so maybe if they hear enough complaints they will enlarge the size of the opening on the rear window as well or give the Sport models the same wrap around window the Internationals get.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Mike's Airstream Sport 007.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	211353  
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
maybe if they hear enough complaints they will enlarge the size of the opening on the rear window as well or give the Sport models the same wrap around window the Internationals get
...or "got" - they no longer put a wrap-around rear window in the 16' International. Too bad as I think it was one of the best features, especially in a 16' as the larger models have room for more windows. The additional light makes the tiny 16' feel less cramped on the inside.
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm3824 View Post
...or "got" - they no longer put a wrap-around rear window in the 16' International. Too bad as I think it was one of the best features, especially in a 16' as the larger models have room for more windows. The additional light makes the tiny 16' feel less cramped on the inside.

Actually, they no longer make the International 16'.
We purchased ours the day we found it after learning it was the last of the International 16's on the East coast. We love ours! I am with you on the windows being one of their best features. That was the compelling reason we decided to buy when we did.

If you look at the numbers of 16' Internationals built by Airstream you begin to understand why the model was discontinued. A total of 7 Serenity 16's were built. I don't know the number of 16' Sports built but the number is much higher I am told. The people have spoken and they said "price is more important than the window on a 16' Airstream...."

Anyway, the DWR 16 mentioned by the original poster has the wrap around windows too. He should be good to go.

Not sure if it has plywood floors though, that would be my biggest concern.

Bruce
Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
BC -

Glad you are loving your new 16. We tow ours with a 2011 Toyota Tundra. I am using a smaller Equalizer WD/SC hitch ... the 400 lb bars. Lightens up the stiffness of having the heavier duty ones which can stress the AS frame (as I'm told). It works great for us. Anyway, it appears that towing on the ball is working fine for you. I wanted to do that but all the towing geniuses on this forum talked me out of it. And I guess if you did do a lighter propride setup, then you'd really have the cat's meow as I know that hitch is superior.

As you've probably figured out now, the small combo grey/black is manageable ... you just have to think and plan a little more.

Enjoy the 16!

~Norcal
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
floor?

Quote:
Anyway, the DWR 16 mentioned by the original poster has the wrap around windows too. He should be good to go.

Bruce
BruceB - Yes we have the panoramic windows, love them. Ok what about the floors? How can I tell if they are plywood and what should I be on the lookout for? Assume rot?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
tank size working so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal bass View Post
BC -

As you've probably figured out now, the small combo grey/black is manageable ... you just have to think and plan a little more.

Enjoy the 16!

~Norcal
Thanks Norcal! - In our first outing the gray/black combo seems fine so long a) no (inside) showers and b) don't do the dishes in the sink. Loving it so far!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
BruceB - Yes we have the panoramic windows, love them. Ok what about the floors? How can I tell if they are plywood and what should I be on the lookout for? Assume rot?

All I know is that some Airstream models used OSB flooring until around 2008. The models with osb are problematic when the floors get wet. You might want to search for posts on the subject. As far as whether you have the plywood floor or osb, I would call the factory and ask them???? In any case it is considered very bad form to let your floors get wet and stay that way.

Bruce
Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Oh I see. I want a plywood floor. We'll I'll check it out. I assume I should be able to see this under the streetside dinette where the water tank is.

And yes agree not to let the floor get wet. I already screwed this up and water got in over the weekend due to my lack of leveling the trailer. Anything special you recommend to dry it out?

BC
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I use a synthetic chamois (Absorber brand???) for the wet bath and it is simply an awesome water magnet. As far as seeing the flooring material there is vinyl even under the dinette but there are plenty of holes through the bottom for wiring so you can probably figure out what is there...
Bruce
Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' International
Quartz Hill , California
If you're worried about saving water space in the tank while dry camping you can try taking a navy shower. Turn on water, hose down, turnoff water, soap up, turn back on water, hose off soap, turn off water again, towel off, and exit shower, so you don't have continuous water running into the tank. Also, during the day, if the campground has passable toilets, you can use them. Might help stretch your time between dumping.
LunaDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' International
Quartz Hill , California
Quote:
Actually, they no longer make the International 16'.
We purchased ours the day we found it after learning it was the last of the International 16's on the East coast. We love ours! I am with you on the windows being one of their best features. That was the compelling reason we decided to buy when we did.

If you look at the numbers of 16' Internationals built by Airstream you begin to understand why the model was discontinued. A total of 7 Serenity 16's were built. I don't know the number of 16' Sports built but the number is much higher I am told. The people have spoken and they said "price is more important than the window on a 16' Airstream...."

Bruce
Too bad about the 16 ft Serenity. I noticed the Serenity the year after they stopped making them. That is when I decided an Airstream was in my future. The dealer told me he would call if one came up for sale. Fat chance of that happening, plus he probably would bone me for wanting such a hard to find used Airstream. So, looks like I missed the boat by one year. If only I had been looking a year or two earlier.
LunaDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaDogMom View Post
Too bad about the 16 ft Serenity. I noticed the Serenity the year after they stopped making them. That is when I decided an Airstream was in my future. The dealer told me he would call if one came up for sale. Fat chance of that happening, plus he probably would bone me for wanting such a hard to find used Airstream. So, looks like I missed the boat by one year. If only I had been looking a year or two earlier.
I agree that it is too bad about the demise of the International series.

You should take a look at some of the used trailers here and on eBay. Although you might pay close to the same price as a new one (hopefully much less), you can definitely find the features you want in a trailer that has been hardly used.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote