Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Forum member Bruce B is towing his 2012 16' Serenity (a trailer that I covet) with a 2010 F-150 and a ProPride. Seems to be very happy - maybe it's worth sending him a PM with any towing questions.

Tom

Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
What are you selling it for???? Specs?

Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
update

Sold the Eddie Bauer 25' last week and we delivered it to Bainbridge Island to a fantastic family on a beautiful farm. No problem on the ferry. Ended up also selling them the ProPride hitch. As I said, Sean's advice when I asked about swapping bars was essentially to keep the 1000lb bars.

We are proud owners of a new (to us) '08 16' DWR. Not in perfect shape but but with some love and TLC we're going to make it close to perfect as we can. Battery won't hold a charge. Minor roof leak (fixed I think/hope). A-frame rusted. In need of a bath. Missing the DWR chairs and bedspread which bummed out my wife. The "clock balls" (who knew clocks had balls) paint is peeling off. No worries though, lots of positive.

Took a one night test run to Deception Pass. Other than quickly (as in immediately) running out of battery-juice after a (second) full re-charge the trip was a success!

[Dirty - we've since washed her up]

JackDog - appreciate the words of encouragement. One weekend into it totally agree with your assessment.

Ordloop - your experience with the F-150 and the 16' w/ no special hitch was super helpful. We decided to sell the ProPride and first experience how it all worked.

This is not a blanket statement for all airstream towing. I can say that our 2012 F-150 with the max tow package handles the 16' very well even with no sway or WD. Even in a crosswind. Even when passing or being passed by trucks. Especially on a nasty section of scalloped cement freeway that shook us hard with our previous setup. Of course the towing capacity if something like 11,000 lbs but the tongue weight is probably the real issue; Ford allows 500 without WD.

Renderit - WD and anti-sway come with trade offs. I think each setup warrants its own evaluation of the proper tools. Regarding the air circulation, this may be less of a problem in the Pacific Northwest vs. Texas. We were all buttoned up with the heat (briefly) on.

Thoughts after our first shake down:

- Get a big battery. Is it nonsense to swap to a AGM Group 31? And solar.

- OMG the idiot that spec'd the crazy-loud fridge fan situation should be eliminated. Can't for the life of me figure out why, in 40 degree rainy weather the fridge needs a cooling van. This design sucks. Fan mod coming. Thank you Airforums.

- Figured out how to drain the freshwater (and water heater). Seems like the water pump needed to be on to drain the water heater. Sanitized water system with bleach per Airstream manual.

- Lot's of little stuff most of it not worthy of sharing. I do want to figure out how to change a tire. I don't remember finding a jack anywhere. Have to remove hubcabs to check tire pressure.

- Bed is snug, a 16.5' with six more inches of bed would be perfect! Perhaps we'll try sleeping with heads at opposite end of bed.

... and absolutely loving it. Really happy with our decision to go with a 16'.

BC and MC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
BC,
As mentioned, I use a ProPride to tow our 16' Serenity. We switched after a year of using an Equalizer and couldn't be happier. The experience under tow is a night and day comparison... We did get Sean to modify the brackets for the jacks though as I couldn't get the propane cover off the trailer any other way. I have since switched to two 30 pound aluminum propane bottles and abandoned the cover entirely making the change in design moot....

I also modified the battery box (this is the reason I had to modify the ProPride jacks...) to install a much larger 4d battery and our trailer came equipped with the solar panel option. We now have plenty of battery capacity...

I have never had any issues with ventilation in the berth and although the berth is snug we have no problems most evenings.

We did just get back from a five week run through the South and we had a blast!

There are times when we look at 25' Airstreams and wonder what we are missing but by and large we just love the simplicity of the small but well designed 16'. We have been through a Dunkin Donut drive in with our Airstream in tow, we have parked on the street in front of LL Bean in Freeport (actually on a side street but close enough to hit with a rock if I had wanted), we constantly find little restaurants and stores as we travel and we always find a place to park with our little Airstream...

What's not to love?

Have fun with yours!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
great info

Bruce B - great info. Yes, ProPride makes a great product. I was super happy with this on our 25'.

Wow a 4d battery. The Lifeline specs on that are something like 124lbs. That thing is a beast. Curious to hear about your boondocking experiences (how long on battery). Do your run solar? Assume your '12 has LCD lights? Would love a picture of your custom battery box.

I'm planning on having some angle steel stock welded on top of the a-frame to hold a Group 31 AGM battery. I'm also going to repaint the a-frame, it had moderate rust.

Any other battery replacement thoughts?

Super jealous of a five week trip... I'm still a working stiff.

BC
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #20
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Just a point of reference, we have not been camping in any hot weather yet. First 2 times out the heater was on briefly as well, the air circulation on the bed was horrible. Your camper is different from ours though so maybe yours will circulate better.

Sure is a pretty unit. Love the wrapped windows in the rear.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Just a point of reference, we have not been camping in any hot weather yet. First 2 times out the heater was on briefly as well, the air circulation on the bed was horrible. Your camper is different from ours though so maybe yours will circulate better.

Sure is a pretty unit. Love the wrapped windows in the rear.

I know that the windows are different but the Sport 16's I have seen have exactly the same layout (the exception being the location of the bathroom door). I simply don't notice problems with airflow. Even when we have the trailer buttoned up tight we are fine.

I have some ability to be sensitive to tight surroundings so I sympathize with what you are saying. Maybe it is my time spent on little sailboats that has prepared me for the living in small space????

I would give it some time, maybe you will "adjust".

Good luck,
Bruce
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
We love our 34' triaxle, but would like to have a small single axle in the fleet as well

My grandpa fixed up a '58 Traveler, which I believe is 17' or 18'. I wanted to buy it from him, but some other guy came along out of the blue and offered him a small fortune for it so he sold it before he'd planned to. So I didn't get a little one.

They would be great for parks and stuff where the long ones don't fit. Have fun with it!

See ya on the road,
Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
Bruce B - great info. Yes, ProPride makes a great product. I was super happy with this on our 25'.

Wow a 4d battery. The Lifeline specs on that are something like 124lbs. That thing is a beast. Curious to hear about your boondocking experiences (how long on battery). Do your run solar? Assume your '12 has LCD lights? Would love a picture of your custom battery box.

I'm planning on having some angle steel stock welded on top of the a-frame to hold a Group 31 AGM battery. I'm also going to repaint the a-frame, it had moderate rust.

Any other battery replacement thoughts?

Super jealous of a five week trip... I'm still a working stiff.

BC

We should not take the time off we do... I tend to live by the "...life is short...." theory.

As for the battery box mod, I wanted to be able to make it an easy two days without charging. The 4d battery gives us that ability easily.... In fact with the factory installed solar panel we have never seen the battery lower than the 60% mark in two days of boondocking.

I have spent the last 40 minutes trying post a copy of the link to the mod.
Airforums is not cooperating this morning so you will have to search for it.

The post was titled "2012 Airstream Mods on 16' International"

I tend to post when I begin one of these projects.

Bruce
Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #24

2014 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I know that the windows are different but the Sport 16's I have seen have exactly the same layout (the exception being the location of the bathroom door). I simply don't notice problems with airflow. Even when we have the trailer buttoned up tight we are fine.

I have some ability to be sensitive to tight surroundings so I sympathize with what you are saying. Maybe it is my time spent on little sailboats that has prepared me for the living in small space????

I would give it some time, maybe you will "adjust".

Good luck,
Bruce
I do have a fan now which fixes "my imagination". To a degree I think you may have a point, I don't sleep well at home without a ceiling fan on, so maybe it is conditioning that is causing my lack of sleep. I got a Vortex Zippi and a Vortex Flippi which I set on the shelf I added above the foot of the bed depending on how much I want to move the air. They both store in next to no space so it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Zippi-...682TYKPZ1V2PVK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Gee wiz,
You are quoting me using the word "imagine". I will in my defense point out that I never insinuated that your "issue" was "imagined".
Now you have me wondering....
Bruce
Old 05-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #26

2014 16' Sport
I redid the comment probably while you were reading it. I was doing it in jest and decided the jest was "jest snippy".
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
... update:

1) battled a second leak (first was Fantastic Vent which I sealed). This one seemed to be caused by having the AS parked with the street side high. Water in under the fridge... solved when I leveled the AS.

2) replaced the sony 15" TV with a Samsung 19". Replaced the swing arm. Had issues with the mount and the existing plate. Made it all work, painted the gray plate black to match new swing arm and TV. Turned out nice but took essentially most of Sunday. Looks nice. Strangely I'm picky about how the TV looks/mounts but I don't really watch TV...

3) swapped out lights for LEDs from led4rv.com based on recommendation on the forum. easy, no problem. we got the "warm white" which is really yellow. These, probably mixed with the blueish LED light make human skin look a bit green. Or maybe it is just our skin. we agreed we'd get the regular blue/white LED if we did it again (had this on our previous AS).

4) Air conditioner. We're on our second AS and we've used the AC exactly ZERO times. Is this crazy: swap the AC out for a second vent? Free up roof space (and weight) for some additional solar possibilities. Anyone done this? Can keep AC if/when we sell the unit. Probably not searching well, but can't find any threads on this.

BC
Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #28
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Air Circulation

renderit,

You are right about the lack of air circulation in the bed area. How does a company like Airstream who builds such a wonderful trailer install such a teeny tiny crank out slot window on the rear of the Bambi?

I added a clip on fan that I attach to the arm of the TV and then I also put a small box fan on the dinette table facing to the rear along with the front window open so that air gets into the back of the trailer.

Previously I had a 17' Casita which had three huge sliding windows at the rear which if anything I had to keep slightly open due to the large airflow. Having horizontal mini blinds you could still have privacy and open windows while sleeping at night.

It took Airstream 7 years to fix the bathroom door location so maybe if they hear enough complaints they will enlarge the size of the opening on the rear window as well or give the Sport models the same wrap around window the Internationals get.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Mike's Airstream Sport 007.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	211353  

JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote