Sold the Eddie Bauer 25' last week and we delivered it to Bainbridge Island to a fantastic family on a beautiful farm. No problem on the ferry. Ended up also selling them the ProPride hitch. As I said, Sean's advice when I asked about swapping bars was essentially to keep the 1000lb bars.
We are proud owners of a new (to us) '08 16' DWR. Not in perfect shape but but with some love and TLC we're going to make it close to perfect as we can. Battery won't hold a charge. Minor roof leak (fixed I think/hope). A-frame rusted. In need of a bath. Missing the DWR chairs and bedspread which bummed out my wife. The "clock balls" (who knew clocks had balls) paint is peeling off. No worries though, lots of positive.
Took a one night test run to Deception Pass. Other than quickly (as in immediately) running out of battery-juice after a (second) full re-charge the trip was a success!
[Dirty - we've since washed her up]
- appreciate the words of encouragement. One weekend into it totally agree with your assessment.
- your experience with the F-150 and the 16' w/ no special hitch was super helpful. We decided to sell the ProPride and first experience how it all worked.
This is not a blanket statement for all airstream towing. I can say that our
2012 F-150 with the max tow package handles the 16' very well even with no sway or WD. Even in a crosswind. Even when passing or being passed by trucks. Especially on a nasty section of scalloped cement freeway that shook us hard with our previous setup. Of course the towing capacity if something like 11,000 lbs but the tongue weight is probably the real issue; Ford allows 500 without WD.
- WD and anti-sway come with trade offs. I think each setup warrants its own evaluation of the proper tools. Regarding the air circulation, this may be less of a problem in the Pacific Northwest vs. Texas. We were all buttoned up with the heat (briefly) on.
Thoughts after our first shake down:
- Get a big battery. Is it nonsense to swap to a AGM Group 31? And solar.
- OMG the idiot that spec'd the crazy-loud fridge fan situation should be eliminated. Can't for the life of me figure out why, in 40 degree rainy weather the fridge needs a cooling van. This design sucks. Fan mod coming. Thank you Airforums.
- Figured out how to drain the freshwater (and water heater). Seems like the water pump needed to be on to drain the water heater. Sanitized water system with bleach per Airstream manual.
- Lot's of little stuff most of it not worthy of sharing. I do want to figure out how to change a tire. I don't remember finding a jack anywhere. Have to remove hubcabs to check tire pressure.
- Bed is snug, a 16.5' with six more inches of bed would be perfect! Perhaps we'll try sleeping with heads at opposite end of bed.
... and absolutely loving it. Really happy with our decision to go with a 16'.
BC and MC