Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Generator Propane Conversion

As anyone converted a gasoline powered generator to propane for use with the Airstream gas system?
On a Honda 2000i generator, propane conversion kit includes a big gas regulator to be installed on a propane tank. Our Airstream Sport has a quick-connect gas outlet on it ( behind the battery ) for a barbecue grille. Does anyone know if the additional kit regulator is needed for hooking the generator to the trailer's propane system?
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I believe so but . . . .

Hutch Mountain told me the large regulator needs to be in the system. The small regulator (hooked to the large one) would be removed and the appropriate fittings and quick connect added to the hose. This then would plug into the AS quick connect, then to the large reg, and finally the large reg hooks to the generator.

I will be doing this soon with mine.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I don't know what kit your using, but the Genconnex came with everything needed. There was a small reg on the hose they supplied with the kit.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you peruse the list of topics in the following forums, you will see many earlier threads and posts on this:

Generators/Solar etc.: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/
LP Gas etc.: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/
Boondocking etc.: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/

Also, the new search function in the blue box above works great:

"Generator propane conversion": https://www.google.com/search?q=gene...=airforums.com
"Genconnex": https://www.google.com/search?q=Genc...=airforums.com

We have a Yamaha 1000 running on propane to keep the batteries charged:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yama...=airforums.com

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
It all depends on how you connect propane to your generator. Your AS propane quick-connection is already regula. If you directly connect to a stand alone 20 or 30 pound propane tank, that would NOT be a regulated connection and therefore you would need to use the hose GenConneX provides that has a regulator. If you tandem 2 generators, I suggest you let GenConneX know and they will provide the necessary hoses and connectors.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Your gas supply on the trailer hookup is already regulated, so a regulator is not necessary. If you use a 20# grill-type cylinder, you do need a regulator.

With the Genconnex conversions, they include a hose to hook up to a gas cylinder, like for your grill. If you want to hook up to the Airstream port, they offer an additional hose...I believe for an extra cost. I have both, and use whichever one needed whether I have a 20# grill cylinder with me, or hooked up to the on-board port. I use both methods.

One way to hook up to the Airstream if you don't have the non-regulated hose, however, is to remove the pigtail from one of your on-board cylinders, and hook up the regulated hose to it. But really, just get the second hose and use the A-frame. Less hassle.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Your gas supply on the trailer hookup is already regulated, so a regulator is not necessary. If you use a 20# grill-type cylinder, you do need a regulator.

With the Genconnex conversions, they include a hose to hook up to a gas cylinder, like for your grill. If you want to hook up to the Airstream port, they offer an additional hose...I believe for an extra cost. I have both, and use whichever one needed whether I have a 20# grill cylinder with me, or hooked up to the on-board port. I use both methods.

One way to hook up to the Airstream if you don't have the non-regulated hose, however, is to remove the pigtail from one of your on-board cylinders, and hook up the regulated hose to it. But really, just get the second hose and use the A-frame. Less hassle.
I have two reasons for a small propane generator. I'd like to use it with our Airstream but don't want the gasoline inside the TV while traveling. I also don't want the bulky regulator while camping. The other use for the generator would be for home backup power and the regulator is no big deal there.
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exactly why we got the Yamaha 1000 mentioned in the 4th post. The search results there lead to posts with more details.

A good fit for our needs.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Question to those who are running a small (2000 - 2200 watt Yamaha or Honda) generator off the AS quick connect propane: What is the performance you see in terms of hours of run time per tank/pound of propane?
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote