Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Furnace Noise

On a recent trip, we used our HP and Furnace and noticed a thumping sound periodically. Both systems seemed to warm our 2012 19' Flying Cloud just fine however the noise was very noticeable. Does anyone know what may cause this and whether it might be a simple adjustment or something more...I contacted airstream and they said it could be the HP working hard due to the low temps and recommended we switch over to the Furnace. I did as recommended and the noise persisted. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
estegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by estegmann View Post
On a recent trip, we used our HP and Furnace and noticed a thumping sound periodically. Both systems seemed to warm our 2012 19' Flying Cloud just fine however the noise was very noticeable. Does anyone know what may cause this and whether it might be a simple adjustment or something more...I contacted airstream and they said it could be the HP working hard due to the low temps and recommended we switch over to the Furnace. I did as recommended and the noise persisted. Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like the noise happens with either HP or furnace. Does it happen after either has been running a while? If so, I'm guessing a piece of aluminum is flexing as it warms up. Can you locate the sound? Since heat rises, I'll bet it's a ceiling panel.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Sounds like the noise happens with either HP or furnace. Does it happen after either has been running a while? If so, I'm guessing a piece of aluminum is flexing as it warms up. Can you locate the sound? Since heat rises, I'll bet it's a ceiling panel.
Doesn't need to be aluminum. Can be any metal including the furnace and ductwork.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Any chance you could record it and post it? Maybe a video and put it on YouTube? Our heat pump is noisy when it kicks in and our furnace is hardly a mouse, not a thump though..
Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Yes! It does start only after the unit has been running awhile. I've tried to isolate the sound and initially thought it was coming from the duct. Will need to spend more time now that we're home from our trip. Does this sound like something that may simply need adjustment or that which we'll just need to live with?

estegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A heat pump will thump when the compressor cycles, just like it does in air conditioning mode. But the sound wouldn't come from the furnace duct. They are separate systems so it's hard for me to figure where the thump would come from on both. Unless it is just something in the camper warming up. Maybe oil canning of the belly pan?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
It could be something in the AS too, doesn't have to be part of the trailer. In my garage is a metal can of Coleman fuel, nearly empty. When I open the garage door, depending on the weather, I'll get a nice clunk when the air hits that can and expands or contracts it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote