Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
from 16' DWR: Free '08 Sony TV and bracket

Upgraded the television in our "new" '08 DWR 16'.

If anyone would like the 2008-ish 15" Sony TV and/or mounting bracket they are yours for the cost of shipping (or local pickup in Seattle).

Thanks!

Barry

bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
**sold**
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
still available

** not sold **

still available for free; you pay shipping or pick up in the Seattle area.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I would be honored to take both off of your hands if they are still available. I'll PM you for details. Thank you!
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
ok "sold" again!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Bc, what did you upgrade to? I would love to find a nice 12volt television for my 2006 Bambi 16'. I think I have the same original Sony you are selling (or sold).

Stan
Salt Lake City

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Samsung replacement of Sony TV in 16' Airstream

Hi Stan - you are actually the second person to ask about my new TV.
And FWIW my Sony TV "sale" was for free to another forum user.

Backstory: We've recently "upgraded" to a new-to-us '08 16' DWR from a 2012 25' EB.
See thread "Getting small...":
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-118841.html

I actually don't really watch TV while camping but having seen a good TV setup and mounting situation on the 2012, I really hated the 2008 setup, especially the bracket which was spewing metal dust on my wife's white comforter (I know I know, tell me about it... why white in a camper?).

And my wife enjoys TV from time to time and for theoretical resale value (always a good excuse to "invest" in your trailer) I decided to upgrade the very-out-of-date-oh-so-quickly Sony TV and the metal-dust-producing mount.

Not a ton of good small TV options, I opted for the 19" Samsung which is $157 on Amazon, as available locally at BestBuy. Better picture, the screen ratio supports HDTV, lighter, bigger, all around better. And the size when mounted works better than the Sony in the back of the 16'... it can swing out and not hit the overhead storage.

Also, in theory it will work directly on the 12v system with an adapter from Radio Shack. Haven't had a chance to test this yet, I've included a thread below with more details on this. Beware, I don't know if this actually works or not. The Samsung is 14v but "according to the internet" it should work with a 12v system. Proceed at your own risk.

TV:
Amazon.com: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz Slim LED HDTV: Electronics

I bought the mount from Camping World for $99. It is 100x better than the one that I replaced it with.

Master Mounts Locking Cantilever Extending Arm Wall Mount for up to 32" LCD - 403L | Wayfair

The Samsung and the Master Mount are perfect for the 16'.

Notes:

- Thread with info on a 14v TV working on a 12v system (and the money quote from this thread: "Actually a TV which USES a 14V "brick" just may be the ideal TV to use on a 12V BATTERY system.") This also has a link to the radio shack part for a 12v cable and adapter to use with the Samsung. I have purchased but haven't tried it yet.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: TV with 14v brick, okay at 12.x volts?

- The Master Mount worked best with the Samsung (in my opinion) when mounted upside down.

- I wouldn't mount the Master Mount straight into the particle board. The DWR has a steel plate with a bunch of screws that go into the particle board. I painted this black and re-used it... maybe had to turn it upside down to get it to work with the new mount. I had to do some drilling and dremel work on the Master Mount to get the screws on the stock metal plate to work with the Master Mount. If interested I can provide more info. A piece of sanded and painted plywood (marine might be good) would do the trick perfectly and be less hassle in my opinion.

- The Samsung TV speakers are kind of weak... ideally you can tap into the stereo or some other solution if you are picky. Mine was wired for this so no issues.

- I also killed the Winegard antenna to make room for two 100w solar panels and instead mounted a JackTV antenna next to the A/C. (I wanted to kill the A/C but this is another story).

- My antenna booster in the back has a 12v outlet. For some unknown mystery the 12v in our 2008 is too small for any standard 12v style plug. I bought a replacement outlet / booster on Amazon and it came with a normal 12v outlet. I haven't installed it yet.

If there is interest, I'll take some pictures and try to better document what I did. I sure it would all work / mount properly so I didn't spend enough time taking pictures but I should have some.

Hope this is useful.

BC
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
BC,

Thanks for the info on the TV. Have you tried it out with just 12 volt?

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote