Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
Fridge won't ignite on propane

I have a brand new Bambi Sport 16 (2015). We've taken her out a few times using shore power and everything worked fine. We are now dry camping and discover the fridge won't ignite on propane. I've done the auto "on -then- off" at least 20 times. Is there some way to ignite the fridge manually - of something else to try. When we get home I'll take it in to the dealer. Another weird thing is that after prepping the airstream plugged in at home before we left, the fridge fan will NOT turn off. I have unplugged everything and the fan still keeps running. I'm afraid it will run down my battery as I am dry camping.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
I just went through this problem with my Bambi 20' this week. Try the nozzle cutoff. There is a slotted knurled screw on the gas line near the ignition (inside the refrigerator outside door) that is off when vertical and on when horizontal. Ours was off. If it is on then turn it off then on a few times, you may have a lump of crud in it. Also, our trailer must be pretty damn level to use the propane. It actually would stop running before I got my hitch level.

That screw is brass and on ours is located in the lower door area to the right just before the heat shields/baffles. It is where you could light it.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The controls on the Dometic refrigerator you have most likely in your Sport are the same as the ones in my FC 20, and they are weird to say the least.

First, push the button until the AUTO light comes on. Then be sure the second button which says GAS is off. You may need a flashlight to see the symbols on them to know what is on and off.

The GAS button is only used when you want to force the unit to run on gas and for some strange reason it also bypasses the thermostat, so the gas flame runs constantly. When it is on, there are no lights at all showing.

So Auto light should be on, and GAS button OFF.

And remember, the RV refrigerators take time to cool down, several hours in fact and make no noise when operating.

The fan is controlled by a separate thermostat on the refrigerator cooling fin in the top upper right hand side of the upper refrigerator vent opening. It is not connected in any way with the refrigerator controls and may or may not have a separate switch inside to allow it to be turned on and off. In theory it operates automatically, in practice a number of people have had issues with it not shutting down when they thought it should be off. Mine has a manual switch in addition to the thermostatic switch and I can control it as I wish.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I fixed a no start by removing and blowing out the gas orifice. A piece of debris blocked the gas. I could hear it trying to fire.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
Got the fridge working via your suggestion of turning the slotted screw on. Don't know why the dealer didn't check everything before letting us take it off the lot.
Fan is still noisy and incessant. Is the some discussion of that on the forum somewhere?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
TJ... Noisy fan fixed.... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...lly-11811.html
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
Is this a good alternative or is it overkill

I am planning on replacing the refrigerator fan in my Bambi Sport 16'. I originally was thinking of using simply replacing the existing fan with a Noctua NF-F12. An RV service person, thinking I had a vent type system, (the Bambi Sport just blows air out the side not the top) recommend the Valterra A10-2618VP FridgeCool 12 Volt Exhaust Fan.
(Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2618VP FridgeCool 12 Volt Exhaust Fan: Automotive)

Will that work? Is that overkill? Does anyone have experience with either type fan with recommendations?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow, that's expensive....

I bought two sealed PC fans, mounted them to some aluminum (of course) angle bar stock and aligned to blow 'up' the chimney. It is a simple thing to angle them toward the exterior.

The fans I purchased were a 'standard issue' brushless design... and water proof. Still, I 'fused' the circuit... cost, ... less than $20. But, the fan you linked should do a pretty good job..

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote