Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Fridge fan light. RED is off or ON?

In either pos, the fan is not running and seems odd. Its hot outside.

Is the Fan enable if the light is glowing RED or is it on if the red light is OFF?

Manuals dont tell me either way...
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
The fan is enabled to run if the red light is on. There is a thermoswitch in the compartment behind the refrigerator that closes at a pretty high temperature, then the fan runs. I jumpered acrossed the contacts of that switch to prove to myself that the motor was not defective.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
In either pos, the fan is not running and seems odd. Its hot outside.

Is the Fan enable if the light is glowing RED or is it on if the red light is OFF?

Manuals dont tell me either way...
Thanks for this question. It makes me feel like I know something

In my '18 Bambi, red means on. It doesn't run all the time although I can't tell you how to know if it's broken. There's a limit to my knowledge!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
The fan is enabled to run if the red light is on. There is a thermoswitch in the compartment behind the refrigerator that closes at a pretty high temperature, then the fan runs. I jumpered acrossed the contacts of that switch to prove to myself that the motor was not defective.

Got it. Red means ON. Im surprised it was not running since yesterday it was pretty warm.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Got it. Red means ON. Im surprised it was not running since yesterday it was pretty warm.
If you want to make sure the fan is working, you can temporarily disconnect the two wires from the sensor, and bridge them together. If the fan runs, it is good. As for the sensor, and whether it is functioning, is a little more complicated. You would need an ohm meter to check and see if it is closing when it gets hot.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you want to make sure the fan is working, you can temporarily disconnect the two wires from the sensor, and bridge them together. If the fan runs, it is good. As for the sensor, and whether it is functioning, is a little more complicated. You would need an ohm meter to check and see if it is closing when it gets hot.

The only reason i was curious was because yesterday it was 40f in there. But i had just put a bottle of room temp ice tea to cool.

This am my temp gauge says 30f in there so i think its OK.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
The only reason i was curious was because yesterday it was 40f in there. But i had just put a bottle of room temp ice tea to cool.

This am my temp gauge says 30f in there so i think its OK.
Absorption style fridges tend to fluctuate more, as far as temps, based on ambient temperatures. As long as my fridge remains below 45 degrees, and my ice cubes are frozen, I call it good.
Obviously, lower is better, down to freezing.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
If it’s red it means that it should run if it’s warm enough to trip the termo. It doesn’t take too much and the fans should run. I just had a similar problem and it ended up that a wire had worked it’s way off of the switch itself.
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
If you open the fridge door on a hot day and also put in something warm, 45F is not out of the ordinary. As a rule middle temp setting will give about 35F in the fridge. I keep a remote thermometer on my fridge while I'm camping and see temps up and down all the time during the day. It can take an hour or so to get back to the set point on a hot day. I usually see about 33 in the morning on a cool night.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
If you're not comfortable with jumping the thermostat on the fins, put a hair dryer on high pointed at the stat. Takes a few minutes.

You should also check the inline fuse, 1 amp i think. Open the outside refer door and look around. Generally close to the back side of the fan switch.I
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
I had the same question...also had some minor warranty adjustments and asked why I never heard it run. Was told it was designed to leave ON, but if the noise was distracting, it could be turned off. Guess they checked it just in case and discovered the fan never was installed at the factory. Cool enough now, I probably won't know it's working until next year unless I do the jumper test, but at least they got a fan installed.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
All great info here . We are on first trip with new trailer. I will check it tomorrow in the driveway before next weekend's camp trip
Old 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I think absorption refers are the best especially for RVs. I can only imagine the noise of a compressor running. And compressors don't run on LP.

RED is ON. Leave it on if the red light doesn't bother you at night when all is dark. It bothers my wife so I turn it off at bedtime and on during daylight hours. Fan is thermo controlled. It knows when it needs to run. Red switch in the on position (red glow) gives the thermo the option.

Finally, outside temps are less important than the operational temp in the back of the refer. If the refer is nice and cold, then no matter the outside temp, the fan won't run. 97ºF here but a cold refer means the fan need not run.

And as I have said here or elsewhere, I leave our refer on 24/7/365. Never have to cool it down for a trip or wonder if it will work while we wander.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
I think absorption refers are the best especially for RVs. I can only imagine the noise of a compressor running. And compressors don't run on LP.

RED is ON. Leave it on if the red light doesn't bother you at night when all is dark. It bothers my wife so I turn it off at bedtime and on during daylight hours. Fan is thermo controlled. It knows when it needs to run. Red switch in the on position (red glow) gives the thermo the option.

Finally, outside temps are less important than the operational temp in the back of the refer. If the refer is nice and cold, then no matter the outside temp, the fan won't run. 97ºF here but a cold refer means the fan need not run.

And as I have said here or elsewhere, I leave our refer on 24/7/365. Never have to cool it down for a trip or wonder if it will work while we wander.

We got home around 330 from our first run. Everything went well, and the fridge stayed nearly ice cold the whole time. I never heard the fan come on, but as you said, it appears that it wont in some circumstances.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Personally, i would jump/hair dryer the fan button as i would want to know i have dependable mechanics to keep all contents cold. We had to toss the freezer/refer contents when the fan...even with the outer refer door open( which usually improves air flow so much the fan usually turns off in 5 min) failed to keep pace last year at lake havassu. The fan was running continuously.

I agree with earlier post re exterior ambient temps. its the passing of air over the fins and vented to the exterior that is key. Opening & closing the refer and adding warm items to cool them also triggers the thermostat. If the fan isn't turning on when there is a call at the thermostat, cooling efficiency fall like a rock.

People replace/add fans for 1 or 2 or both reasons...noise reduction and/or increase air flow over the fins and out.

I hit the road and go red/on until i'm home and emptying the refer. Noise for me isn't an issue as i have long ago updated to a higher CFM/ lower DB fan. $20 bucks...best $ spent on the rig.
plenty of current threads in this mod. After lake havasu this last winter, i'm going to add another fan.

BTW, i hang the dog towel over the always on refer light as the light is just inside the door in the coat/dog towel rack bulkhead.

Bob
Old 10-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Personally, i would jump/hair dryer the fan button as i would want to know i have dependable mechanics to keep all contents cold. We had to toss the freezer/refer contents when the fan...even with the outer refer door open, failed to keep pace last year at lake havassu. The fan was running continuously.

I agree with earlier post re exterior ambient temps. its the passing of air over the fins and vented to the exterior that is key. Opening & closing the refer &and adding warm items to cool them. If the fan isn't turning on when there is a call at the thermostat, cooling efficiency fall like a rock.

People replace/add fans for 1 or 2 or both reasons...noise reduction and/or increase air flow over the fins and out.

I hit the road and go red/on until i'm home and emptying the refer. Noise for me isn't an issue as i have long ago updated to a higher CFM/ lower DB fan. plenty of current threads in this mod.I

BTW, i hang the dog towel over the light as the light is just inside the door in the coat/dog towel rack bulkhead.

Bob
I don't think the red light will bother me. A little bit of a night light is probably a good idea anyway so I dont crash into something at night!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Agreed on the dual use light. we use a small lava lamp night light in the bathroom as our beacon. I suspect unit layout and light location drive this. It doesn't bother me but seems to catch my wife's attention, hence the towel compromise. Bob
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
JJTX,

Great to hear. I suggest you keep the refer on while in home port and on shore power 24/7. If you don't have shore power try LP. Very little is used to keep the refer running. We do keep some vittles in the refer at all the time. Never have to worry if it works when we ship off.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
JJTX,

Great to hear. I suggest you keep the refer on while in home port and on shore power 24/7. If you don't have shore power try LP. Very little is used to keep the refer running. We do keep some vittles in the refer at all the time. Never have to worry if it works when we ship off.

The only reason I wont leave it plugged in is because of the batteries. The factory charge system applies too much power to what are otherwise charged batteries.

However you arent the first one to mention that the fridge does not use much LP gas. Surprises me. I figured it would.

We are going back out camping this weekend. I'll turn on the fridge LP most likely wednesday night so it's ready to go.

The first trip we did last weekend, I only had overnight, to cool off the fridge.

And by the next morning FRI it was -7F in the freezer and 33 in the fridge.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Humm. I’ve very heard my fan. I’ve heard it kick on or try to light for propane.

I don’t hear much over the loud ac running.

Temps 35 at night and in 90 day heat 40.