Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Flying Cloud 20 Questions

My wife and I bought a new 2012 Flying Cloud 20 on July 1st this year, and so far have had it out on two 4 day outings in steamy and wet conditions here in Florida. We are incredibly happy with our new FC, especially when compared to our previous trailer, a 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe.

Our time using the new trailer did bring up a couple of questions. Hopefully some of the members here may be able to share their experience.

1. Although the refrigerator appears to be functioning well over the ten days we have had it on (with frost showing in the freezer), I have never heard the frig. cooling fan running, even in 90+ degree heat. Our dealer said that they have tested the thermostat with a heat gun, and the fan does work. Does that sound normal?

2. I was surprised to find that the rear window, over the galley sink does not have any means of opening or holding the window open when the window latches are released. Because the wall of the head is so close to the window frame, there is no room to mount a lift control rod on the right side of the window. I checked another FC20 at the dealer's lot, and it was the same. My question is: Has someone come up with an elegant solution to get air circulating through the rear window, or should I just go ahead and hold it open with a stick?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Freq Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had the same trailer, a 2007 Safari SE 20'.

Our refrigerator fan never came on in the 12 months total we actually traveled with it, and the refrigerator worked fine. A bonus on warm days when the sun shines on that side of the trailer, open the entrance door and it will shade the fridge compartment easing the refrigerator's cooling load, or pull out the awning.

The rear window is a required escape window. Adding opening hardware would make it too small to crawl out of. We held it open with a stick, or you can have a small vent by opening it and turning the lock latches as a rest to hold it open a couple of inches.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Thanks for the feedback doug. I guess I shouldn't be concerned about the fan not cycling. It seems that the frig is cold enough, I was just surprised that the fan wasn't cycling in the hot weather.

Since we already have an escape window with the red exit labels in the aft dinette seat, I didn't think the window over the sink was an exit too. Regulations? Anyway, I guess I'll work up some sort of prop to hold the window open in the cooler weather.

Rich
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
2. I was surprised to find that the rear window, over the galley sink does not have any means of opening or holding the window open when the window latches are released. Because the wall of the head is so close to the window frame, there is no room to mount a lift control rod on the right side of the window. I checked another FC20 at the dealer's lot, and it was the same. My question is: Has someone come up with an elegant solution to get air circulating through the rear window, or should I just go ahead and hold it open with a stick?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

When I had my 20 my "elegant" solution was a stick! Guess you could make something a bit fancier but the stick worked fine.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
I'm a stick guy too!
Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Sounds like I should use a stick... I would have thought that the Cadillac of trailers could come up with something more sophisticated.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I was just at an AS repair place and leArned that if you open the escape window all the way up the glass will fall out, it is designed to do that. I have to sAy I will take their word on that, no way I want to find out by testing it! I use two little blocks of wood. I had no idea that could happen, glad I know.

My fridge fan runs a lot here in NJ, less in this cooler weather and it runs for a while after I turn fridge off too.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Our fan runs very often in So Cal. As far as the rear window, I bought a set of bike handle bar foam grips cut them in half and cut a slit on the one end to slip them on the angle hardware on the window side and the other end on the window frame. I leave them in the window frame when travelling so I wont lose them.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 2014 FC 20 there is a switch by the door which allows you to turn the fan on and off (the manual says turn it off if you are outside on the "patio" and it is too loud. Do you have that switch and have you left it on to see if the fan comes on? I can't imagine it would not considering the heat generated.

The back window on the 20' is certainly not for an emergency exit. It is way too small and over the sink. No way anyone over about 10 years old could get out of it. My left center window in the dinette is clearly labeled as the emergency exit window, and is large enough to use for that purpose in some kind of fantastic emergency where the door was locked or blocked. So, that is not why they left the window levers off the kitchen window. My inspection would indicate that they were simply too lazy to put a notch in the bathroom wall where there is room behind the shower and would allow a standard double lever opening window. Pure design economy and it irritates me no end. A screened window which you cannot open or close from the inside, in a kitchen with no other operable windows is pretty inexcusable in my opinion. Prop it open with a stick, or some other improvised system in a $50 to $60 K trailer? Major silly.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
On my 2014 FC 20 there is a switch by the door which allows you to turn the fan on and off (the manual says turn it off if you are outside on the "patio" and it is too loud. Do you have that switch and have you left it on to see if the fan comes on? I can't imagine it would not considering the heat generated.

The back window on the 20' is certainly not for an emergency exit. It is way too small and over the sink. No way anyone over about 10 years old could get out of it. My left center window in the dinette is clearly labeled as the emergency exit window, and is large enough to use for that purpose in some kind of fantastic emergency where the door was locked or blocked. So, that is not why they left the window levers off the kitchen window. My inspection would indicate that they were simply too lazy to put a notch in the bathroom wall where there is room behind the shower and would allow a standard double lever opening window. Pure design economy and it irritates me no end. A screened window which you cannot open or close from the inside, in a kitchen with no other operable windows is pretty inexcusable in my opinion. Prop it open with a stick, or some other improvised system in a $50 to $60 K trailer? Major silly.
Interesting on the emergency window. On the 2007 FC 20's (as we had) the window in back over the kitchen sink was designated the emergency exit, had a decal stating so and red colored latch releases. The big windows over the dinette were not designated emergency exit, and the latch handles were not red.

On the latest FC 20's (as you have) the kitchen sink window is not designated the emergency escape. Rather a window over the dinette is, and the latch handles are red.

That's the original design and they haven't changed the hardware, maybe too lazy, I don't know. We liked our 20 anyway, just wasn't big enough for 6 months a year. Best galley of any Airstream and a great traveler.

doug
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
After using sticks for a while, I cut a piece of PVC pipe and notched the ends to slip over the hardware to hold the window open.

I'm not that big and relatively athletic, but getting out that window as an exit seems like a joke. But I guess if the adrenaline is high enough.....
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Our refrigerator fan will run all the time once the compartment heats up enough to activate the switch. I turn it off manually at night when the air cools down then back on in the morning. The refrigerator will not work properly without it during warm sunny days.
We were using a stick to hold the window partially open, then I found an expanding tube with a locking device. Part of an old pool cleaning handle. I cut it down short enough to fit in the window and now we can adjust the window opening to suit our needs. If you use a piece of Velcro on the inside of the window and one end of your stick it prevents the stick from falling out.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Well it looks like I'll work up something out of pvc tubing or bicycle handlebar grips to hold the rear window open... maybe if it's good enough I could sell the idea to Airstream (giving proper credit of course). I guess the good part is that the window is over the galley sink. Hopefully any rain getting in will find its way down the drain and I won't need to go outside to close it.

I was OK at first about not hearing the frig fan running on hot days with the fan switch always on. The dealer told me that they checked it and it was working. But from the above comments, it sounds like with daily temps here in Florida over 90, it should be cycling, at least some of the time. I'll try contacting the Airstream service dept next week to see what they have to say about it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Rich
Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
My fan runs ALL the time! (when hooked up to shorepower) even when I turn the refrigerator OFF. I'm going to call Airstream Monday.

PS How do you turn it off "manually" except by pulling a wire off?
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I gues because my trailer is a different model (see avatar) all the windows have hold-open hardware, even the fire escape window in the back. It is annoying that the little knobs on the lift arms have a threaded place for set screws, but do not have the set screws in place. Apparently at some point Airstream stopped putting the set screws in the little knobs, as some older trailers have the set screws.
I have never heard my refrigerator fan. As long as ice cubes stay frozen...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfield View Post
My fan runs ALL the time! (when hooked up to shorepower) even when I turn the refrigerator OFF. I'm going to call Airstream Monday.

PS How do you turn it off "manually" except by pulling a wire off?
On our new trailer the fan runs easily when hot outside. If your's runs when the switch is off that likely indicates the compartment is hot; refrigerator is probably working normally.

Your fan is trying to cool the compartment. You can help it by propping open the fridge vent door(s) to allow more air, and perhaps park it so the sun is not on it directly (that makes a BIG difference).

I did cut a wire to the switch and put a little inline lamp switch there so we can shut it off at night, but I do have the vent doors propped open when I do that.
There is a chance the compartment can get dangerously hot if not ventilated, a fire risk.

doug k
Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
TRC
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I have the same trailer & mine came with a manual switch on the side of it. As for air in the galley, I open & turn on the fantastic fan & open the one above the bed. Air circulates really well with this method.
TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
aa , Alberta
Continuously running fridge fan

I just bought a 2013 25 Flying cloud and it's fridge fan is also running all the time even with the fridge shut off. did you get a answer from Airstream?
albertamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
I was told it's on a temperature activated switch (i already knew this) and will run whenever outside temp in compressor/condenser coil compartment is "high". If your refer is running this helps condenser remove heat. I didn't get a clear answer about why it runs even if the refer is turned totally off. I got the impression that's "just the way it's made". No reason for it to be running when not using the refrigerator system. I guess that's a rare situation in their minds. Wish the fan was quiet and area better insulated. I'm looking into some good rubber isolation mounts to reduce the sound transfer into the living space.
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
aa , Alberta
ok thanks for posting AS response. I'll install a toggle switch and perhaps install a quieter fan. Seems like poor engineering by Airstream. Happy with the rest of the unit so far!
albertamike is offline   Reply With Quote