Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
FL Keys, Bambi & Jeep GC

Took our first trip with the new tow vehicle..2014 Jeep GC with tow pkg, and our 16' Bambi. Long trip from NC to the Fl Keys, but I've gotta tell ya, the Jeep towed our trailer like there was nothing back there. Sooo nice. It took us a while to figure out what tow vehicle we wanted, and then the issue of what kind of hitch system,(which as you know, makes for quite a lively discussion here..) but, we agreed we had made the right decision. We chose the Fastway WD/ anti-sway, and glad we did. Went through some unbelievable storms on the way and back, big rigs, construction..you name it, we had it. No worries.
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Thanks for this post. Though you didn't get an award for responses you are part of the reason I got a 16' and the Fastway. Thanks again.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This one slipped through the cracks. Usually threads that that discuss the benefits of a hitch system, get significant attention.

I am glad to hear that your that you TV/trailer combination works well on a long road trip.

We would love to see some pictures of your rig and hear more about your experience with the Fastway Hitch System.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Thanks for this post. Though you didn't get an award for responses you are part of the reason I got a 16' and the Fastway. Thanks again.
Had not seen this until now. I'm glad this helped you, because I sure did fret over the decision at the time. There are soooo many opinions on what to do! We just sold our Bambi a few weeks ago (and we included the hitch) because we bought the Flying Cloud, but we never regretted our decision. Here's hoping you have as much fun as we did with our Bambi!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Oh! I meant to mention we were just in Austin last wk. We were able to sample a little of SXSW on Friday. Great city!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Just spent 4 days last week in Pedernalas Falls State park which is virtually a stones throw down the road from us. SXSW is crazy here on traffic and such. Seems like more events are upon us every year. We are looking at moving WAYYYY up North and leaving this to the kids. I have been a mountain man ever since I saw them....

Thanks again. We are loving the camping but still are not used to the bed.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Grand Cherokee TV

Welcome Mtnlvrs,

We tow our 16' Sport with a 2010 Jeep Liberty 4x4. It does ok being it has the old 3.7 and 4 speed auto.

It's good to know you find the GC tows your's well. We plan on offing the Liberty next year for a really nice used 2012 GC 4x4 with the new Pentastar V6 and better automatic.

We will miss the mid size of our Liberty, the classic Jeep look and especially the flip up rear window for the dogs but having more HP, better gas milage and an automatic that works better for towing will be a plus.

I was at the Jeep dealer last week end and I saw the new Cherokee; I'm not sure with the weird Fiat styling and FWD car based chassis it will be a draw for the Jeep crowd. You have to purchase the top of the line Trail Hawk with AWD and even then the towing capacity is only 4,500 pounds.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Pine Chritmas 2012 009.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	207244  
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee are to different SUVs.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Yeeps

I agree that the new Cherokee looks funny, they messed with the grille and now it looks like it has a runny nose. I even e-mailed them to say "Don't mess with our Jeep grille, we like the bars, spirit of the willy's 'n' all."
I love our 2007 diesel GC. A serious vehicle, with grownup style and tons of oomph. I don't want a stupid zoomzoom/teenager/sporty thing with pointy windows. I like to be able to actually see out the windows, and shoulder check.
Why, oh why are all the car companies making their SUV's look like little hatchbacks (but bigger)? Even Subaru-and I thought they would hold out-has gone to the swoopy shape.
Rant over, sorry!
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Mtnlvrs,

Always great to hear when people make a good decision on AS and TV; what's not to love?

We are heading to the keys in a month or so - can't wait!

If you are not aware, there is a forum rally not too far from you coming up in early April - Springstream (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ns-110601.html) in the north Georgia mountains, for what it is worth. Always a fun time and great way to meet others in the area.

Safe travels.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Mtnlvrs,

Always great to hear when people make a good decision on AS and TV; what's not to love?

We are heading to the keys in a month or so - can't wait!

If you are not aware, there is a forum rally not too far from you coming up in early April - Springstream (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ns-110601.html) in the north Georgia mountains, for what it is worth. Always a fun time and great way to meet others in the area.

Safe travels.
Hey thanks for the heads up on the Georgia rally. Haven't I seen your name on the list for Alumalina in a couple weeks?? Should be lots of fun.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
Hey thanks for the heads up on the Georgia rally. Haven't I seen your name on the list for Alumalina in a couple weeks?? Should be lots of fun.
Will be there - see you then!!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
New Styling

I spoke to a friend of mine last night who works for Ford in R&D. He said two things are driving the changes in the SUV segment.

One, is due to our Nanny State government who keeps pushing the CAFE levels higher and higher which means SUV's will continue to get smaller and more car like. He thinks it's not far off that when it comes to buying a vehicle to tow a trailer your only option will be a truck. I don't have anything against them (I've owned five) its just I like having a vehicle that's more like a station wagon in design.

Ford has no plans to replace the current Expedition and could possibly be dropped after the 2016 model year. Since I use my TV as my daily driver I really don't want to go the big full size route. If Jeep drops its rear wheel drive GC that will be the end of mid size rear wheel drive SUV's.

Ford's replacement for the E series vans will be smaller and more european and will not be as heavy duty as the current vehicle which means the current "C" class models will also have to downsize.

Two, the people who are now in control of the styling departments at the car companies are younger and have a different perception of what a good looking car is. They design vehicles for the 21 to 35 year old crowd and not for people in their fifties. I've own alot a great cars over the years (63' Sting Ray coupe, 57 Chrysler 300C, 69' Shelby GT500, 64' Buick Riviera) and I say a great design is a great design is a great design! Thank goodness Airsteam understands this and keeps with their iconic design.

In the future it might be the option to go out and look for a really pristine, low mileage RWD SUV. My neighbor has a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with the V8 and 21K miles on it. I might have to start working on him to sell it to me.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Interesting observations JackDog. Sometimes we need protection from ourselves (Wall Street) and sometimes our Nannies can help with that. Sometimes competition can help us see down the road a little bit. I am pretty sure our auto industry did not know that it was not on the right track when it climatically produced the 1959 Cadillac Seville, perhaps one of the most gorgeous automobiles ever designed and made in America, and not many would say at the time that it was the beginning of the end. Some guys in Japan saw the trend developing and in 1958 shipped over a Datsun whose impact by the 1960's changed America.
In the future we will still have tow vehicles and trailers (Airstreams I hope) that will out of necessity just be made of lighter materials. Perhaps some kind of aluminum coloured carbon fibre that comes out of a printer. In the meantime, I am going to get a new Jeep Diesel and put it away (almost) in the garage for a decade. Jim