Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Best wishes for your purchase.

You might get a better price buying a used trailer directly from an individual owner, but one advantage in getting one from a dealer is if they have their own dealership warranty on their products. We got a really lightly-used AS the first time through Can-Am in Ontario, Canada; and it seemed to be so lightly used that the kinks hadn't been worked out yet. Stuff like the upper rear cupboard working its way loose and falling onto the bed while we were traveling. Fortunately they repaired it and other less serious issues for free due to their own warranty on used RVs.

To get your ideal used AS, though, you may have to travel some distance to locate it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Also, keep in mind, if you buy lightly used, you may end up with a couple years of warranty available to you. I thought about buying used AI, but, as I'm not a handy work type, I need the warranty coverage. Just one more thing to consider.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
We live in the lower Florida Keys. Unfortunately nearest AS dealer is in Ft. Lauderdale and is about a 3 hour drive one way. Makes any kind of dealer warranty repair, unless it is serious, more logical for me to fix it myself. Also don't have any idea if they have good dealer repair service or not. Having to leave it and return later to pick it up would be a bit inconvenient.

I like the idea of dealing with an owner who hopefully would have quite a bit of knowledge about his own trailer. A better price without dealer overhead is also nice. Having a dealer warranty on a used trailer would also be nice in case the worst happened. Pluses and minuses in each case.

Already looked at used on Craiglist in Florida, EBAY and RV Trader on line. Wish we weren't so geographically remote at times like this. It takes a full day of driving from here just to get out of Florida. Fortunately we aren't pressed on time. I think our first trip should be to the nearest dealer just for a good look around.

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. A whole lot to consider and learn.

Have a great day, John
jwscld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscld View Post
A big thank you for the really well thought out responses. We've read them all several times. They do answer our question about it being a good decision to buy an AS. Everyone feels the minor AS problems are over ridden by the joy of owning an AS.

We will certainly consider buying used. Agree that it makes sense to buy used when having no experience on the size for our needs. Yes, the first year depreciation "hit" is a real factor if you end up trading. Also with the wealth of shared experience on this forum there is always help if you do hit a problem with a used AS.

We really appreciate all the well thought responses. Really a tremendous forum. Thank you all for making it great.

I also tried to post yesterday morning but got the dreaded page couldn't be opened after composing my reply. Hope it works today!

Have a great day, John
Welcome to the Forum. We purchased our used AS one year ago from the dealer who originally sold it new. As mentioned in numerous posts, it is very common for new Streamers to trade for a larger model after a year or so. This was the case with ours, the original owner did not like the east/west bed and traded for a new 27FB. I am still agile enough so it doesn't bother me to crawl into the bed from the foot as my wife usually goes to bed before I do. We got a good deal on a unit that was like new and purchased the extended warranty, had few items to correct, but it is all good. We love it and last month upgraded our tow vehicle. Heading out next week for the first trip of the season and can't wait to get on the road. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #25
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
jwscld, we're also about 3 hours away from our nearest AS dealer (Spokane, WA) but since we live in the boonies, a trip to Spokane is a bit of a shopping venture & holiday for us. AS of Spokane offers free overnight camping to any Airstreamers, or alternatively we have a favourite RV park in nearby Post Falls, ID. If you can fix stuff yourself, that's super, but we haven't found the 3 hour trip too onerous.

A bigger issue to us is what might go wrong when we camp in remote areas (like our recent sojourn in the Mojave desert) but we found when we did need some smallish repairs in the desert during our first year of ownership that AS kicked in anyway for work we had to have done at the nearest RV service center. For something bigger than our problem, we'd probably need to phone Airstream Central and see what they'd recommend.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
Len n Jeanne, I can appreciate your situation. I also do what you do when I have to go to the Miami area. Combine the trip with several things to get done. Planning a trip for Monday with 4 stops one of which is the Airstream dealer in Ft. Lauderdale area just to get an idea of what size trailer might work for us.

We think the 19' would work for us, International or Flying Cloud like yours. We have never even been inside an AS. Glad to hear AS stood behind repairs for yours. How are you liking it so far? Have you changed any of the original AS equipment?

Thank you very much for your input and have a wonderful day. John
Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to start research and ask questions before purchase.

Sight unseen, we ordered a 2013 25FB International Serenity. Discovered the reality for me of the cross frame bed access and roof locker I hit with my head every time I sat up. There were no quality issues with the trailer from the factory, but the work done by a dealer was a disaster and it would be returned absolutely filthy inside.

To get away from the 25FB bed issue and other minor issues, we considered a 27FB Classic which has exactly the same dinette area design and size but the bed is inline with the frame. As we were not too happy with that dinette layout, we decided on the 2014 31' Classic with the Hickory wood interior that we really liked.

So the suggestion to start out used would have been a better idea for us as well along with actually seeing and being inside the units before signing a contract.

We have spent considerable funds and time getting the Classic corrected from the manufacturing issues and lots of customizations. Baring an accident or some other disaster, we do not plan ever to replace the Classic.

We acquired the 2015 23D International Serenity that came with several QC issues we had repaired, some under warranty, but the major ones wire corrected on our nickel during the modifications to the 23D. It is small enough to go into the older parks were the 31' Classic will not fit.

We have found a third party repair facility does great work the first time and we avoid the dealers like the plague.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I found my 1st AS in Tucson, (consignment dealer), they did bearing service, checked brakes, & I took it home to ATL. It was 5 yrs old & not too gently used ! Couldn't find a recommended AS service place anywhere near ATL, so took it to the Mothership for some overdue service, 685 mi, obviously nothing wrong with running gear. It was 4 yrs till we traded for a bigger one ! ! The FC28 we found (7 miles from home here in AZ) was just past it's 2 year warranty, & everything had been addressed by P.O. Hey it's all an adventure, eh ?. . . welcome aboard & good luck, Craig
Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I bought a preowned 2008 Classic 25fb three years ago from a dealer. The trailer appeared to be hardly used. When we starting using the trailer we found several issues that if the previous owner had used the trailer the issues would've been repaired under warranty. Luckily, I was able to make the repairs myself.

Kelvin
Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
jwscld,
There is an upcoming rally in the Keys in early April. This is the Florida State WBCCI rally and I am sure there may be a few folks that would be willing to talk Airstreams with you. As the past president of the Kentucky Unit I have had folks contact me and ask if they could drop by our trailer rally to find out more about Airstreams.
http://floridaunit027.wbcci.net/full...a-state-rally/
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscld View Post
Len n Jeanne, I can appreciate your situation. I also do what you do when I have to go to the Miami area. Combine the trip with several things to get done. Planning a trip for Monday with 4 stops one of which is the Airstream dealer in Ft. Lauderdale area just to get an idea of what size trailer might work for us.

We think the 19' would work for us, International or Flying Cloud like yours. We have never even been inside an AS. Glad to hear AS stood behind repairs for yours. How are you liking it so far? Have you changed any of the original AS equipment?

Thank you very much for your input and have a wonderful day. John
Hey, thanks. We decided to stay small after we had to replace Bambi I (due to an accident) because it gives us a lot of flexibility in one of our favourite camping situations, which is small primitive campgrounds on federal land in the western states. Oftentimes these CGs do have longer sites for bigger rigs, but not many and then these tend to fill up first. 20' and under gets us into most places.

We also prefer the lighter brighter Flying Cloud décor to the darker interiors on some of the Internationals.

We're really happy with Bambi II, and have taken it all over the western states and closer to home in southwestern Canada. We haven't felt the need to modify the interior. However, due to personal idiosyncrasies we do make up the dinette every night for a second bed. The 19' north-south bed is OK if the person on the inside doesn't have to get up during the night. But this isn't a real problem.

We're just now in the middle of a 9-week camping trip-- so no, the interior space isn't a problem. Go lean! Small is beautiful.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We got our "Lil' Puppy" (22 Sport) last summer. It was a used 2015. 9 months old.

Already had front segment protectors and power jack. Those were nice add-ons

We bought from a dealer in our state (Missouri). The trailer was originally sold in Denver.

If I had to guess, I would say it had been used maybe a couple of times at most.

It still had the plastic on the mattress.

We have had a few issues to deal with, but not due to factory mistakes or heavy use. More of just the Stuff Happens type of thing. (had to reinforce the supports for the dinette lift-off covers, and had the front storage lock freeze up which involved towing the trailer to a locksmith to get a better key made).

We paid a lower price at the dealer than I have ever seen advertised in the AS classifieds. And we got a 4 hour training on using the camper and towing.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
Thanks again to all who have responded with their Airstream experience and AS dealer experience. It is much appreciated.

Well I made it to an AS dealer, North Trail RV in Ft. Lauderdale. Got a thorough look at a 22 Sport and a quick look at a 23 Flying Cloud. Courteous salesman who was knowledgeable and not pushy. Flying Cloud had a beautiful interior, Sport 22 a little less equipped and plainer interior and a lot less money. Tires are still Goodyear Marathons which I don't like after reading this forum especially on a single axle trailer. After seeing the 22 sport I feel the 19' Flying Cloud or International would fill our needs for at least several years.

The original quality of a new one still concerns me especially when I hear comments (Switz) about AS dealers doing poor repairs and leaving the trailer filthy inside. I have been looking at used and found none that are even close to where we live.

Crispy boy, thanks for telling me about the AS Florida trip to Big Pine Key area. The AS dealer gave me a really good opportunity to look inside EVERYTTHING, assembled the dinette cushions into a sleeper and opened the outside refrigerator access doors. Got a really good look at things I would not feel comfortable prying through on someone's private trailer. I did count the AS trailers I passed on my trip up the Keys, passed two.

Len and Jeanne, a 9 week trip sounds wonderful. Hope you are having a fantastic time. Looking forward to doing the same out West. We looked on line at 19s and we also definitely like the Flying Cloud and International Serenity with the lighter interiors. Your comments about fitting into length restricted spaces is another plus for a 19 along with less gas to tow and easier maneuvering plus I can park it in my garage.

Getting long here, so another thank you to all that have responded.

Have a wonderful day, John
Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #34
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the feedback! Maybe it is important just to find a good dealer.

Especially once you've purchased your AS, arrange pick-up at a time when the salesperson will have a couple of hours to walk you through every square inch, and take notes (some would say recording) on how everything works. (Alert: the electronics are pretty advanced for us technophobes.) Then they should invite you to spend your first night on their lot, or else camp nearby so that you can contact them/come back the next day in case you can't figure out something or something malfunctions.

We cannot tell a lie. We decided 8 weeks was long enough, and are now on our way home in northern Idaho. Lots of wonderful memories.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I bought my well-cared-for 2007 20-foot Safari in 2014 and so far have not found anything wrong with it. There had been one minor recall that I learned about online which the prior owner had not pursued, but it was quite trivial -- adding two reflectors to the rear end. Airstream promptly provided the stick-on reflectors to me to apply when I inquired by email.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
As a "brand new owner" of a Sport 22FB I would like to add "shout out" to the "Customer Support" at the AS factory. I live a long way from Ohio and probably will not have the opportunity to visit there. My unit is a new 2016. It had a few bugs like "hinges" on some of the lower cabinets that needed attention but aside from that I can live with it. Documentation that comes with these units is amazing....they give you a "Briefcase" to hold it all. I can't tell you how many times that I have read and re-read nearly all of it.

On our first trip this past weekend we pulled the trailer 440 miles up and around Glacier National Park and the surrounding communities, i.e. Whitefish and Kalispell Mt. Weatherwise we experienced everything from a beautiful warm day while in Glacier to wind, rain and snow on our return home. Our tow vehicle is a 2016 Ford Explorer with a six cylinder motor (290 hp...not the EcoBoost) and averaged 14.5 mpg. I was amazed at this result.
We had problems with the "hot water system" which resulted in a number of emails and photos passed back and forth with the AS customer service. Their replies were spot on and the issue was quickly solved. Yes, there was a learning curve but I have learned a lot in the short time we have owned the trailer. To put it "mildly" AS Customer Support is "superb"!

As for tire concerns....I'm not going to worry about it. They are rated for 65 mph...I'm gonna drive that...and I'm going to make it a point to keep the weight of the trailer and my tow vehicle within their limits....and i'm gonna have fun! Simply put...I can't wait to hit the road again!

One more point....the advice and counsel of this forum is "outstanding". I've already done some of the mods to my new trailer as suggested on this forum and it has greatly enhanced the vehicle. There is also a great number of videos on YouTube that I found very helpful.

In short AS ownership is without a doubt 'cult like"....in a very positive way. I may be taking a hit with "new owner depreciation" over the next few years but if I take care of my trailer as I intend to do....I expect the "value" to go back up. The fact that something like 60% of all the AS ever built still in service says a lot. When you buy an AS you've got to look at the "big picture"....the "long down the road big picture"!
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
With over 45 years of trailering my advise to any one just starting is NEVER BUY NEW.
I think as a whole this is great advice. Personally we couldn't find the configuration we wanted (23d) except new, so we went that route. Airstreams in particular seem to be a mixed bag when it comes to finding the right configuration, especially used.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The reason for this is no one can ever envision all of the things they will find desirable in a trailer. Thus start with a used trailer and figure out what you really want and need.
I totally agree with Howie. I could've purchased a new model and got the final price out the door but ended up with a six-year-old model. The past four years I have added all kinds of things $$$ but looking back I realize that MOST of what I have added, I would've needed to do to a new one. The benefit? The initial cost was much lower but I still have the newest features of what I find to be important- still for less $$$ overall. Yes, I have one with herr windows, furry walls and a few scratches outside but it is actually quite nice with that extra insulation and less radiation of heat. I go outside to look around!

I visited the factory and enjoy looking at new ones for ideas and, even other owners' older models. When you think about it, an Airstream is an Airstream. Some have mica and others have wood but they are basically the same thing. Make one your own by personalizing it.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Although we have had a few issues (resolved by a few calls to the factory - GREAT folks there and at AS Adv NW) ... none of the problems compares to the headaches with two previous SOBs ! It was worth the $$ to trade up at our dealer ...especially for the 15+ models with DUCTED AIR !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote