Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
If you want to own something that will give you some real headaches, buy a second home in a coastal, saltwater environment. Sit back and watch plastic rust. Major maintenance.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

You must have a house here in Santa Rosa Beach.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
We bought a new 2015 25foot flying cloud and had lots of issues. Totally disappointed based on what we spent. My brother in law bought a 6 year old 2008 19 foot iambi and has had no issues. My advice, buy a late model used, save a bunch of money and have original owner deal with all those small issues.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We bought two Airstreams brand new, a 2005 and a 2015. Both were 25FB's. We also had a 2012 23FB that we bought at one year old.

The used had the most issues.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We bought a new 2014 in November of 2013. Never had an issue that prevented us from camping, but we had plenty of minor irritating stuff go wrong that was cheerfully fixed for us under warranty by our dealer. We simply kept a running log of busted stuff and when it got long enough to be annoying, we'd take it in for another round.

For this reason I think it would have been great to buy a gently used Airstream for which someone else had already performed this service.

We were also lucky enough to buy exactly the right sized trailer the first time, but plenty of first time RV-ers wind up trading their trailer for another size within a year or two of their first purchase.

Oh and yes despite the issues we had under warranty, we'd buy an Airstream all over again.

So, just a couple of things to consider. Have fun shopping!

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
A big thank you for the really well thought out responses. We've read them all several times. They do answer our question about it being a good decision to buy an AS. Everyone feels the minor AS problems are over ridden by the joy of owning an AS.

We will certainly consider buying used. Agree that it makes sense to buy used when having no experience on the size for our needs. Yes, the first year depreciation "hit" is a real factor if you end up trading. Also with the wealth of shared experience on this forum there is always help if you do hit a problem with a used AS.

We really appreciate all the well thought responses. Really a tremendous forum. Thank you all for making it great.

I also tried to post yesterday morning but got the dreaded page couldn't be opened after composing my reply. Hope it works today!

Have a great day, John
Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #20
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
First impressions

Your post worked!

BTW, per my previous post above, due frequent trips to the dealer for warranty work it was really nice that we live only about 30 minutes from our dealer vs. multiple hours or days that some people have to travel for the same visit. Especially since they liked to keep the trailer for a week to get all the warranty repairs done each time we towed her in.

For that reason alone, we'll never buy any RV new without a dealer near to wherever it is that we happen to have our sticks/bricks house at the time.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Best wishes for your purchase.

You might get a better price buying a used trailer directly from an individual owner, but one advantage in getting one from a dealer is if they have their own dealership warranty on their products. We got a really lightly-used AS the first time through Can-Am in Ontario, Canada; and it seemed to be so lightly used that the kinks hadn't been worked out yet. Stuff like the upper rear cupboard working its way loose and falling onto the bed while we were traveling. Fortunately they repaired it and other less serious issues for free due to their own warranty on used RVs.

To get your ideal used AS, though, you may have to travel some distance to locate it.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Also, keep in mind, if you buy lightly used, you may end up with a couple years of warranty available to you. I thought about buying used AI, but, as I'm not a handy work type, I need the warranty coverage. Just one more thing to consider.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
We live in the lower Florida Keys. Unfortunately nearest AS dealer is in Ft. Lauderdale and is about a 3 hour drive one way. Makes any kind of dealer warranty repair, unless it is serious, more logical for me to fix it myself. Also don't have any idea if they have good dealer repair service or not. Having to leave it and return later to pick it up would be a bit inconvenient.

I like the idea of dealing with an owner who hopefully would have quite a bit of knowledge about his own trailer. A better price without dealer overhead is also nice. Having a dealer warranty on a used trailer would also be nice in case the worst happened. Pluses and minuses in each case.

Already looked at used on Craiglist in Florida, EBAY and RV Trader on line. Wish we weren't so geographically remote at times like this. It takes a full day of driving from here just to get out of Florida. Fortunately we aren't pressed on time. I think our first trip should be to the nearest dealer just for a good look around.

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. A whole lot to consider and learn.

Have a great day, John
Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscld View Post
A big thank you for the really well thought out responses. We've read them all several times. They do answer our question about it being a good decision to buy an AS. Everyone feels the minor AS problems are over ridden by the joy of owning an AS.

We will certainly consider buying used. Agree that it makes sense to buy used when having no experience on the size for our needs. Yes, the first year depreciation "hit" is a real factor if you end up trading. Also with the wealth of shared experience on this forum there is always help if you do hit a problem with a used AS.

We really appreciate all the well thought responses. Really a tremendous forum. Thank you all for making it great.

I also tried to post yesterday morning but got the dreaded page couldn't be opened after composing my reply. Hope it works today!

Have a great day, John
Welcome to the Forum. We purchased our used AS one year ago from the dealer who originally sold it new. As mentioned in numerous posts, it is very common for new Streamers to trade for a larger model after a year or so. This was the case with ours, the original owner did not like the east/west bed and traded for a new 27FB. I am still agile enough so it doesn't bother me to crawl into the bed from the foot as my wife usually goes to bed before I do. We got a good deal on a unit that was like new and purchased the extended warranty, had few items to correct, but it is all good. We love it and last month upgraded our tow vehicle. Heading out next week for the first trip of the season and can't wait to get on the road. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #25
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
jwscld, we're also about 3 hours away from our nearest AS dealer (Spokane, WA) but since we live in the boonies, a trip to Spokane is a bit of a shopping venture & holiday for us. AS of Spokane offers free overnight camping to any Airstreamers, or alternatively we have a favourite RV park in nearby Post Falls, ID. If you can fix stuff yourself, that's super, but we haven't found the 3 hour trip too onerous.

A bigger issue to us is what might go wrong when we camp in remote areas (like our recent sojourn in the Mojave desert) but we found when we did need some smallish repairs in the desert during our first year of ownership that AS kicked in anyway for work we had to have done at the nearest RV service center. For something bigger than our problem, we'd probably need to phone Airstream Central and see what they'd recommend.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
Len n Jeanne, I can appreciate your situation. I also do what you do when I have to go to the Miami area. Combine the trip with several things to get done. Planning a trip for Monday with 4 stops one of which is the Airstream dealer in Ft. Lauderdale area just to get an idea of what size trailer might work for us.

We think the 19' would work for us, International or Flying Cloud like yours. We have never even been inside an AS. Glad to hear AS stood behind repairs for yours. How are you liking it so far? Have you changed any of the original AS equipment?

Thank you very much for your input and have a wonderful day. John
Old 03-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to start research and ask questions before purchase.

Sight unseen, we ordered a 2013 25FB International Serenity. Discovered the reality for me of the cross frame bed access and roof locker I hit with my head every time I sat up. There were no quality issues with the trailer from the factory, but the work done by a dealer was a disaster and it would be returned absolutely filthy inside.

To get away from the 25FB bed issue and other minor issues, we considered a 27FB Classic which has exactly the same dinette area design and size but the bed is inline with the frame. As we were not too happy with that dinette layout, we decided on the 2014 31' Classic with the Hickory wood interior that we really liked.

So the suggestion to start out used would have been a better idea for us as well along with actually seeing and being inside the units before signing a contract.

We have spent considerable funds and time getting the Classic corrected from the manufacturing issues and lots of customizations. Baring an accident or some other disaster, we do not plan ever to replace the Classic.

We acquired the 2015 23D International Serenity that came with several QC issues we had repaired, some under warranty, but the major ones wire corrected on our nickel during the modifications to the 23D. It is small enough to go into the older parks were the 31' Classic will not fit.

We have found a third party repair facility does great work the first time and we avoid the dealers like the plague.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I found my 1st AS in Tucson, (consignment dealer), they did bearing service, checked brakes, & I took it home to ATL. It was 5 yrs old & not too gently used ! Couldn't find a recommended AS service place anywhere near ATL, so took it to the Mothership for some overdue service, 685 mi, obviously nothing wrong with running gear. It was 4 yrs till we traded for a bigger one ! ! The FC28 we found (7 miles from home here in AZ) was just past it's 2 year warranty, & everything had been addressed by P.O. Hey it's all an adventure, eh ?. . . welcome aboard & good luck, Craig