Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
The aux audio connector is not in the photo, plus the hdmi adapter requires power from the usb power outlet that is floating back there (and connected to trailer DC power with those WAGO wire lever nuts you found). What was I not speaking English before?

I only took pictures of what wasn't connected. Attached are additional photos. TV does not have audio out or Bluetooth. Going to have to upgrade TV for sound through speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	320684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	320685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3006.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	320686Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	320687
aacreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Just arrived in Ruidoso NM after a long trek across Texas. Our Rtic cooler that we set in the doorway aisle during our travel, was really full this trip. We usually set it on the floor against the backrest of the lounge. This time we moved it one foot and against the bathroom wall. Big and very bad difference since that put it 3 feet behind the wheels and main axle in a worse cantilever position. The first 20 miles we felt some mild sway and a lot of bounce. Moved it to the backrest and moved a box of dishes over the wheels. Perfect ride for the next 10 hours. Little things can make a huge difference. Physics rules.

As for the LG tv we just ignore it. Good for early morning over the air HD news updates when a/c noise level is minimum. But for evening movies we use our iPads and Bluetooth headsets to enjoy personal time during noisy a/c runs. AS missed the boat putting such a low priced tv in the rig and not running the audio into the JBL. Yes, change the tv if that is a priority.

On the subject of the a/c, I would have liked a quieter unit. Ducted AS models are inherently noisefree but the 22FB didn’t qualify. What I would have liked is an a/c under the current 11000 BTU that would run on a small Honda 2kw gas generator. After all, the 22FB is so small a 5000 BTU would have cooled it sufficiently IMHO. The installed model is overkill for the square footage.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I think I will disagree on the 5000BTU being adequate. It takes quite some time with any level of humidity to cool the trailer down from 98 degrees from a long hot sunny drive and parked in the sun...the 5k BTU might never catch up once it falls that far behind.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacreek View Post
I only took pictures of what wasn't connected. Attached are additional photos. TV does not have audio out or Bluetooth. Going to have to upgrade TV for sound through speakers.

Attachment 320684Attachment 320685Attachment 320686Attachment 320687
Yeah that looks pretty good. If you have the JVC mobile DVD unit and the LG TV on a mount like I did (I removed them for LG 4K monitors) The sound did work both directions through that HDMI cable and the USB powered adapter that I see in your photo. One of the first things the salesman showed me (probably to get my mind off other things) was the TV pulling in a local station and the sound playing through the ceiling speakers. When you play a DVD it feeds the sound to the TV speakers (in addition to the ceiling speakers), but when you play off the TV's tuner it somehow fed the sound back to the JVC for amplification too.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Frisco , Texas
Hi! What tires do you have? Thanks
ladyb2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Frisco , Texas
Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
Great to hear your first trip went well. I echo all your noted shortcomings as our 2018 is missing the same. But we have learned to live with(out) them.

We tow with a 4Runner (essentially a Tacoma) and use an Equi-I-Zer WD and anti sway that makes the trip surprisingly relaxing. It has been great in our 6000 mile journey thus far.

The 4RUNNER is a bit heavier than the Tacoma and the setup never allows the “tail to wag the dog” so to speak. Your Tacoma may be getting some shimmy due to air slipstream drag in the bed. A tonneau cover fixes that. I tow 75+ and have to look in the rear view to know Baby Doe is still in tow. Keep the tires filled to 80psi.

We added custom teakwood flooring mats to the shower and bathroom (teakworks4u.com). Made a lot of difference in our comfort and floor cleanliness during a long trip. All in all I think the 22FB is a great choice for a compact RV that is built to last.

Welcome to club.

Hi. What tires do you have on the airstream? Do you still have the dealer tires on there? If you’ve upgraded, what did you upgrade to? Thanks so much!
ladyb2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Shouldn't need much light outside this time of year. Enjoy the firelight.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Manvel , Texas
I had the same TV/sound issue - I played around with the tv settings and got it to work, I think I had to turn off the external speakers or something non-intuitive to get it to work, I also think the stereo receiver has to be on.
bmc5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post

As for the LG tv we just ignore it. Good for early morning over the air HD news updates when a/c noise level is minimum. But for evening movies we use our iPads and Bluetooth headsets to enjoy personal time during noisy a/c runs. AS missed the boat putting such a low priced tv in the rig and not running the audio into the JBL. Yes, change the tv if that is a priority.
Just a quick note on this. We added an Apple TV box to the trailer AV system which gives us access to most of our DirecTV home subscription without dragging a dish around with us. Only negative is the lack of the DVR commercial skip feature which wastes time. I have found that some programs we watch at home however are exclusive to the iPad but are easily moved to the TV screens via Airplay sharing through the Apple TV box (requires fairly good broadband, we have 5mb/sec where the AS is parked most of the time)

Kind of feel like we've joined the 21st century by finally learning this cord-cutter methodology out of necessity.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Just got my 22FB in early 2018.

For exterior lighting when on shore power or generator I use a strand of warm LEDs on the awning ..

My hubby wired my running lights so that I can run them off the battery and thats what we use most of the time. They provide enough light to be helpful without being annoying to us or others if we are in a campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180628_205117.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	320902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_204126.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	320906  

mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
For ventilation in the bathroom we crack the window and run the fantastic fan at the same time. Ditto for the cooker... crack the kitchen window and run the fan.

We did upgrade the TV to a larger smarttv with 2 hdmi inputs so we can stream prime/netflix/news apps or play downloaded content from devices but weve yet to sort out the audio because weve been too busy camping! Haha.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Congratulations! These huge purchases feel like they should come with no problems, but alas, there are things that need fixing.

Screws. The closet door latch did’t want to stay screwed in after a few trips. We bought stainless steel screws from a local hardware in just a teeny bit wider/longer and replaced both screws. Perfect. Plus, you can use them in other areas.

Front Door. Why the front door isn’t checked more carefully is beyond me. If you have a hard time opening or closing the door, go get it fixed! You are in warranty and a slight adjustement will take care of it. Don’t rip your arm off pulling the door open...or getting “locked” inside.

Take your key with you if you shut the door. Just ran into someone who’d locked themselves out because the door accidentally locked. They tell you this at the dealer and they mean it. Make it a rule.

TV. We were told it didn’t get surround sound. We didn’t watch much TV and then we just dealt with it. Movies were great.

Bathroom vent. Open the window. Sure you freeze your bum off in winter, but ok.

Biggest regret is no stove hood/ventilation. I set that darn smoke alarm off ALL THE TIME. Maybe you are vegan and don’t eat bacon. Maybe you can cook the bacon outside.

Lastly, when it’s time to turn that furnace on it’s a bear. That teensie dial on ours was hard as heck to pull on. After the first turn on, it was fine.

Good luck and enjoy it! We loved our Sport.
Coastalphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #53

Cypress , Texas
I agree with RJJ. With my 2017 F150 and 25 twin, I find that 60 - 62 is really good and safe and it keeps the rpm below 2000. With the 36 gallon tank you can cover a lot of safe miles.0
Geojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
The few trailers I pulled, that became unstable above 55, had too little tongue weight. You may need to increase that, or put more cargo in the truck bed to add weight to the rear axle. Ideally, this could be done with adjustments to the WD hitch.
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacreek View Post
Been towing for about 400 miles today with no problems. Gets shaky if I creep above 65 with wine and traffic so I try to keep it 65 and below.

I have noticed lots of sawdust in front of fridge after towing,is that common? I will try and post a picture later.
You should save the wine until your destination. [emoji6]

- Larry
lwp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:22 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Aacreek

Welcome to the airstream lifestyle.
You rig looks very sharp.
I use a Tundra with my 23 fb narrowbody
and try to stay at 62 mph.
It seems safer to smell the roses and watch people pull away from you traveling down the road. Your hitch set up may need to be fine tuned by an expert. I believe mine could be dialed in just a tad better.
I use an e2 hitch.
Enjoy your days adventure then hop in the airstream for a hot shower,cuddling luxury and a good night sleep!
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalphoto View Post

Bathroom vent. Open the window. Sure you freeze your bum off in winter, but ok.

Biggest regret is no stove hood/ventilation. I set that darn smoke alarm off ALL THE TIME. Maybe you are vegan and don’t eat bacon. Maybe you can cook the bacon outside.
I have field-tested suggestions for these 2 points.

Bathroom vent-We found that keeping that bathroom window cracked open was important year round. Why? You are breathing in and out all night and the trailer will get clammy and uncomfortable if you don't have some way for that humidity to leave.

Important when running AC since it may not kick on much at night and you don't want to be hot and clammy.

Important when running the furnace too, because propane will add humidity to the space too. Don't want to be cold and clammy.

(on our current 25 we keep the vent open but off in the shower-same idea)

Bacon-Check out Costco already-cooked bacon. Just crisp it up. No huge hot pan full of dangerous grease to manage, but a nice bacon-y essence in the pan for cooking those pancakes.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyb2cool View Post
Hi. What tires do you have on the airstream? Do you still have the dealer tires on there? If you’ve upgraded, what did you upgrade to? Thanks so much!
I have the OEM Goodyear Endurance that AS began using in 2018. They have been great. Just got to keep them at 80psi for correct load handling.

But I don’t want to stray off this thread topic. So private message me if you need info or just search the forum for tire help.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we ordered a kitchen exhaust from AS factory. Its installed and works well. be sure to seal all the gaps before installing to ensure air only goes in one direction. instead of cutting a whole in the cabinet ( and loosing space) ours hangs below the cabinet ( its 2" lower that what the factory does)

We keep the sink window open a bit and now get a very good breeze from that window across the stove and out

look in this area for pics i posted some time ago
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I have field-tested suggestions for these 2 points.

Important when running the furnace too, because propane will add humidity to the space too. Don't want to be cold and clammy.
Actually, the furnace will not contribute any increase in humidity to the interior. The furnace is a sealed combustion unit with a heat exchanger, this means none of the combustion air (or the h2o byproduct) goes to the interior of the trailer.

Anytime you increase the temperature of air it decreases the relative humidity. If you are seeing an increase in humidity it is likely just due to having the small chamber that is an AS closed up more in the cool weather, and the humidity source is you and your activities within the AS.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote