Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
First AS, thoughts on this 22FB Sport

My wife and I have bee talking about getting an AS for the last couple of years. It looks like this year we are going to take the leap. First a little about us:

We are in our early-mid thirties, no kids but may have one in the next year, three large dogs. We have been tent campers but have started to outgrow that. I have always loved AS and my wife has now decided that we should get one.

We are of the smaller is better mindset. The size that works for us is 19-23, with the 23 being the absolute limit.

We were looking at 20' Safari SE as they seem to be a good value and have depreciated enough that we shouldn't take a bath if we decide to have two kids and need to upgrade. I posted that one in the 2007 Safari forum and a lot of people thought that I should be looking at a 22-23'.

I found this '10 22FB Sport that is local to me and is priced around the same level. Obviously, you lose some of the niceties and farkles found in the higher-level units but it is a better floor plan for us. Our favorite floor plan is the 23FB with the 22FB a close (and cheaper and lighter) second.

Any thoughts on this unit or any suggestions of other similar units that are for sale that fit what we are looking for around a $30k price point? If this one checks out, what would be a fair price?

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-pennsylvania/

Any advise or comments are welcome.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Personally, I can't speak for the other models of AS's you've mentioned but as a 2016 Sport Owner I don't see a lot of differences from my unit. Based upon the pics in the ad it would appear that the unit has been well maintained. As for the space the trailer affords....my wife and I camp with 2 small grandchildren and it works well. If your dog's are large this might not be a good choice in that regard.

I pull mine with a Ford Explorer and it does very well. Another plus for this model is that it is narrower than other AS models and you really don't need special mirrors on your tow vehicle to travel in traffic.

The floor plan works well although the walk way past the galley is tight and usually only one person can pass thru. However there is an excellent thread on the forum where other Sport Owners have moved the pedestal base closer to the curbside cabinet. The table can be moved around and several configurations. By doing this you can actually set up a nice lounge area and it does wonders for two people to be in close proximity in the galley area.

If that price holds your looking at saving $25K over a brand new one.

Good luck!
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks for the feedback. I went and looked at it today and TBH, the owner really did not know much about it--I probably knew more from reading on this forum than she did and was able to point out things that she did not know/notice.

Anyway, we opted to walk from that one. I think we want a 23FB in FC or higher--well maintained from someone who diligently maintained it.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
1972 31' Sovereign
londonderry , New Hampshire
We have just picked up a 2016 22FB and love the floor plan. It is MUCH smaller than our 1972 31' and I believe it would be to small for 3 dogs. I would go as big as you feel comfortable traveling with. It seems that a lot of people trade their campers in for larger ones after a year or two.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just in case you come back to the 22 Sport, based on the pictures it looks like new to me, and the price is very reasonable. But your instincts may be right...it'll get very cozy with 3 large dogs if you have to stay inside for any length of time. I have a 20ft FC, love the layout, but am down to one 7 year old and one yellow lab, so it works for me. Glad I no longer have to tow it on the Delaware stretch of I-95. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Nice. Cute. Cramped!

My first venture into owning a Airstream was our 2008 22' Sport. We found out pretty fast what our dog felt like living in his kennel cage!! While we enjoyed not being in a tent; this size is JUST better than the 16' Bambi. The improvement over the 2008 Sport came in the 2009 model side seating/dining booth. This is a comfy unit for two & a youngster. It is NOT for three adults that can't stand feeling like three in a sleeping bag!! If you can, buy as much as possible by getting a older - but larger 28' AS as a entry platform. We were fortunate and went to a 34' PanAm. Buying, then trading up - or trading - puts you at the mercy of the market - a second time. Just my experience from when I was a Newbie.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Went from 2013 23ft.fd international signature to a 27ft. Fb international signature! Loved the 23ft. But the rear corner bed & toilet shower were a nightmare!
only 2 of us but what a difference!
The 2015 with duckedair cond. Is a godsend. Plus the extra width makes quite a pleasant difference.
No more forgetting to lower t.v. antenna!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Olatje , Kansas
Current 22Fb owner here. 3 large dogs are not going to be happy. 2 kids + 2 adults is tight but my son is 3 and my daughter is 16 so we make it work..

I'm likely keeping out bambi for another 2-3 years since we bought it with some light hail but we're already looking at an upgrade in our future..

If the dogs weren't in the mix, there would be plenty of room for you and your spouse but dogs + people + maybe baby? I'd say you need more space..
joekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
. Our favorite floor plan is the 23FB with the 22FB a close (and cheaper and lighter) second.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-pennsylvania/

Any advise or comments are welcome.
I am not sure what years you are talking about, but presumably not new since you want a 'depreciated unit'

I actually like the newer 22 foot better than the 23 foot... If you are at the table and it is pulled out, you can't open the refrigerator door very far on the 23 while the 22 is ok and the door isn't blocked.

I would say you don't go smaller than 22' and maybe even consider 25' (I know you said 23 was max BUT...) With three big dogs and just the two of you a 20 is WAY TO SMALL unless you intend to pitch a tent outside for the dogs!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I started with 2015 22' sport. Easy to tow, but seriously lacking storage. Traded for 25' 2015 FC. It's perfect and still easy to tow. The added width, length and storage were worth every penny.
Tagsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We started with a 25FB. Me, my wife and our choc lab. Big enough but could have used more storage. We moved to a 28 and love it. More room, diff layout, more storage.

Three big dogs on a small space and possibly kids could get tight. Just MHO.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote