Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Menlo Park , California
Finally Got Our Bambi

Just bought our 16' CCD today in blue. No problems towing with my 2006 Nissan Xterra. We are planning a Palo Alto to Georgia run starting the 1st week of August for 2 weeks. We have 2 little ones with us, so any advice as to what to see along the way would be appreciated. While I was waiting for her to be readied the sales guy told me Calista Flockhart had just been in and bought a 16' DWR.

wiredmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Welcome tot he Forums.

You might want to consider Palo Duro Canyon off I-40 near Canyon, Texas. There are campsites available.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats, I'll bet that's a nice little rig!

What kind of hitch are you using on the xterra? I've been looking at 4x4s, and I like the look of those.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby. You're going to love her.

Do a little practice towing around home before setting out cross country. Get out on the highway and let some big trucks pass you to get a feel for how the Bambi will react. Depending on the results you may want to consider some type of sway control/weight distributing hitch system as you are probably at or near the Xterra's suggested towing limits.

You'll find a lot of good info on these Forums regarding these issues. The main thing is to take it easy when towing.

Have a safe and pleasant journey, and post pictures of your Bambi and her maiden voyage.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Menlo Park , California
Towing Setup with Xterra

The Xterra is rated to 5000lbs. Bambi 16' is 3875 loaded to the hilt so I think that is below the 80% of max I have read about as a rule here. Thanks all for the info thus far. I got a Reese weight Distributing system thrown in with the trailer. I went to a dealer about 150 miles away from my house so I could get a feel for towing her on the interstate. She tows like a dream, cruise control 65mph on Rte 5 to 580 up over the Altamont pass and did not go over 3000RPM. Did not notice any heat problems, gas MPG went down to 10 to 11mpg.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Originally Posted by wiredmeyer
Just bought our 16' CCD today in blue.... We are planning a Palo Alto to Georgia run starting the 1st week of August for 2 weeks. We have 2 little ones with us...
First, congratulations...the 16' Bambi is really a very family friendly trailer. My wife and I and our two kids - 4 and 2 - have taken a pair of long trips (down to Orlando and up to PEI) and many short ones and have really loved staying in our Airstream. That said...

I assume you're going I-5 to I-40?

There are a million things to see in California - but I'd suggest getting past LA as soon as you can since anything before LA you can visit later on long weekend trips. Once past LA...

The Mojave is beautiful - but in August you're really limited to the nature you can see from air conditioning. Joshua Tree and the Salton Sea are stunning and have amazing wildlife - but it is a significant detour and again not so good in August.

You might consider going up into Nevada via I-15/93 to see Las Vegas and/or the Hoover Dam.

Once you get to Arizona you MUST detour up to the Grand Canyon (but you already knew that).

Traveling on to New Mexico you should head up to Sante Fe and Los Alamos. Many beautiful places, great food, and cooler weather.

In Texas, you should arrange to arrive in Amarillo for dinner. The Big Texan Steak Ranch is a lot of fun - full of atmosphere and you might even get a 'floor show' of someone attempting the 72oz free steak dinner. Assuming you like steak the food is even reasonable.

I found Oklahoma in Summer to be hot and boring and best driven through quickly - but I'm sure there are others on the forum who can tell you differently!

Arkansas has the Ozark and Ouachita national forests - beautiful country. Little Rock is a nice little city...but I'd spend my time in...

Memphis, TN. Great food and great music if you can find some sort of daytime festival (also great music at night...but not with young kids).

At this point you can go north and down (I-40 to I-24) or south and up (78 to I-20). North and down is slightly longer but has...

Nashville, TN - more eats, more music, more fun places to see....and...

Chattanooga, TN - The Tennessee aquarium is a must see with kids - and yes, I've been to the Monterey aquarium about a dozen times. The Tennessee aquarium is very different - it features the life of rivers and streams and manages to capture that 'feel' by routing you through and around some amazing aquatic exhibits.

You didn't say where in GA you were headed - but there is a world of things to do and see around Atlanta. Stone Mountain the park and Stone Mountain the amusement park are both good for kids. For eats, Everybody's Pizza in Emory is a personal favorite and the Varsity drive-in (burgers, etc) something of an institution.

Hope you have a great trip!
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Sounds like a great trip you are planning. I can say from experience that you need to stop and smell the roses so to speak. We did the West /East trip moving back from CA to PA in 1991 and did NOT stop to see things along the way (billboards for Billy the Kids Grave still haunt me and our son - now 25- still mentions not stopping there) . You may only get this one chance to do and see some of these things with the kids so take advantage of it. If your ETA gets pushed back a bit - C'est La Vive. Have a great time!
1962 16' Bambi (sold )
1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome and congrats of your new shiny toy! And what a great trip you're planning...I'm envious! Do take some time practicing driving, backing and all that won't take you long to get a good grip on how your Bambi behaves and you'll have a more bueno time with a little road time under your belt before you hit the raod for your adventure!

Most of all...Happy Trails!
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Menlo Park , California
Wow! Thanks for all the great advice. I love this forum. After looking at all the rain and Thunderstorms accross the south we have decided just to spend 2 weeks around Yosemite. Looks like there is some space in RV park up there.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Santa Catalina Island , California
Yosemite is beautiful. This time of year the falls may be down to a trickle, though, especially due to the drought this past season. You might want to check that out first so you won't be disappointed. Congratulations on your new baby Bambi! Here's wishing you many happy trails!

AIR #14503
"We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. . . Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the-glass bum relax and go along with it." ~John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley, in Search of America
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote

2007 bambi