Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
FC 20 (or other Bambi) + Hensley Cub

Anyone using the Hensley Cub with an FC 20? Can you provide some details on the performance, maintenance or any other pertinent info?

Friendly PSA: I’d like to avoid having this thread turn into a hitch religious ideology war. If you’re not a fan of Hensley, or have never used one, please save yourself the time and energy by telling me how the Hensley is overkill, how it costs too much, or how I’m an elitist for even considering it as the hitch to pull my future AS FC 20. In return, I promise not to drive with my pinky in the air. [emoji6]
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had a 20 and later put a ProPride/Hensley on our 25. The 25 was more stable than the 20, both with the same Equal-I-Zer brand hitch and truck. The 20 would have definitely benefited from the Hensley.

Sure, the ProPride cost $2500 but if we had purchased it instead of the Equal-I-Zer, we would have saved $700 in the long run. We also like that we can open the truck tailgate when hitched up because of the ProPride longer length, and that the hitch head, w.d. bars, and w.d. jacks stay on the trailer tongue once mounted. It was the best money spent on our Airstream, there is nothing like safe, comfortable, relaxed towing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not sure if its what you are looking for, but I tow a 23 International with a ProPride (Hensley design) hitch setup.

I do like the total lack of sway. I find it interesting but not impossible to hook up by myself, but its a bit easier with help. The design flat out tows great.

I find that I need to disassemble it a bit to lube the ball--I'm planning a grease fitting upgrade for the stock AS hitch to eliminate that pain. I did find that I want to either shim or lock the stinger in the receiver, because it clunks a bit. I have a gadget for that.

I did determine that I needed a slightly longer umbilical cable, because the Toyota 6-way socket does not hold the plug in as tight as I'd like. looking into a different system for connections that uses super strong magnets to hold it together... On my setup, the breakaway cable seems to be long enough. I did have to extend the chains about 6-8 inches so they would allow turns but not drag.

I plan to put a 3-4 inch Dexter lift kit on the trailer--the WD bars on the hitch are perilously close to dragging all too often, and a few more inches ground clearance won't hurt a bit...I have scraped on driveway approaches occasionally...

Other than those few minor things, I love the design and tow characteristics. I tried the rig over the Cajon pass in California (Interstate 15) before I went with a Hensley design, and one trip up and down convinced me that overkill on sway control/prevention is a darn good idea...white-knuckles are no fun at my age...

And I WON'T promise not to drive with my pinky in the air...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have been towing our 2002 19' Bambi since it was new using a Hensley Arrow (the Cub was not available). Absolutely no regrets, no sway, and, after the first year, no problems hooking up. The backup cameras on our last two towing vehicles have really made hookup easy.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
We have been towing our 2002 19' Bambi since it was new using a Hensley Arrow (the Cub was not available). Absolutely no regrets, no sway, and, after the first year, no problems hooking up. The backup cameras on our last two towing vehicles have really made hookup easy.

Tim

How much maintenance have you had to compete on your HA?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Not sure if its what you are looking for, but I tow a 23 International with a ProPride (Hensley design) hitch setup.

I do like the total lack of sway. I find it interesting but not impossible to hook up by myself, but its a bit easier with help. The design flat out tows great.

I find that I need to disassemble it a bit to lube the ball--I'm planning a grease fitting upgrade for the stock AS hitch to eliminate that pain. I did find that I want to either shim or lock the stinger in the receiver, because it clunks a bit. I have a gadget for that.

I did determine that I needed a slightly longer umbilical cable, because the Toyota 6-way socket does not hold the plug in as tight as I'd like. looking into a different system for connections that uses super strong magnets to hold it together... On my setup, the breakaway cable seems to be long enough. I did have to extend the chains about 6-8 inches so they would allow turns but not drag.

I plan to put a 3-4 inch Dexter lift kit on the trailer--the WD bars on the hitch are perilously close to dragging all too often, and a few more inches ground clearance won't hurt a bit...I have scraped on driveway approaches occasionally...

Other than those few minor things, I love the design and tow characteristics. I tried the rig over the Cajon pass in California (Interstate 15) before I went with a Hensley design, and one trip up and down convinced me that overkill on sway control/prevention is a darn good idea...white-knuckles are no fun at my age...

And I WON'T promise not to drive with my pinky in the air...

I was wondering about the breakaway cable and the electric hookup cable length and wether they would be long enough. Sounds like some extending may be required.
My tow vehicle will be a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, so I’ll have to see if anyone with a similar setup has had to extend their cabling.

I didn’t think about WS bars potentially dragging. Has that only occurred for you a couple of times? I presume there wasn’t any damage inflicted?

How bad is the clunking from the stinger while in the receiver?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We had a 20 and later put a ProPride/Hensley on our 25. The 25 was more stable than the 20, both with the same Equal-I-Zer brand hitch and truck. The 20 would have definitely benefited from the Hensley.

Sure, the ProPride cost $2500 but if we had purchased it instead of the Equal-I-Zer, we would have saved $700 in the long run. We also like that we can open the truck tailgate when hitched up because of the ProPride longer length, and that the hitch head, w.d. bars, and w.d. jacks stay on the trailer tongue once mounted. It was the best money spent on our Airstream, there is nothing like safe, comfortable, relaxed towing.

Did you end up going from the 20 to the 25 because of towing issues?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
Did you end up going from the 20 to the 25 because of towing issues?
No. We got the 20 for a few months extensive travel each year that extended to 6-7 months. The 20 is a great size for travel and shorter trips, but for the long travel months and stays, it quickly became too small.

A longer Airstream is more stable (greater length of hitch ball to trailer axle), but that's irrelevant with the Hensley/ProPride hitch.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No. We got the 20 for a few months extensive travel each year that extended to 6-7 months. The 20 is a great size for travel and shorter trips, but for the long travel months and stays, it quickly became too small.

A longer Airstream is more stable (greater length of hitch ball to trailer axle), but that's irrelevant with the Hensley/ProPride hitch.

Gotcha. We’re looking for a weekend “cabin” on wheels where the background and scenery can change as we wish.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:

I didn’t think about WS bars potentially dragging. Has that only occurred for you a couple of times? I presume there wasn’t any damage inflicted?

How bad is the clunking from the stinger while in the receiver?

The bars only dragged a vouple times at low speed. No real damage, but I don't worry about the links to the WD jacks coming loose. The threads are well disrupted and will be interesting to get off. Minor paint loss on the bottom of the bars, but no damage to function.

The clunk is only a minor irritant. My receiver is fairly tight, so it's not a towing issue. I have a clamp that ties the stinger tight into the receiver so it won't wiggle around. I usually get a light clunk on first hook-up and drive away. It subsides after a moment of driving steadily.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
The clunk is only a minor irritant. My receiver is fairly tight, so it's not a towing issue. I have a clamp that ties the stinger tight into the receiver so it won't wiggle around. I usually get a light clunk on first hook-up and drive away. It subsides after a moment of driving steadily.

So it sounds like the stinger simply needs to get seated and as force is initially exerted on it, it’s a non-issue?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
How much maintenance have you had to complete on your HA?
About once or twice a year I lubricate with WD-40 the WD bar jacks and other moving parts on the hitch. Before a long trip, I grease (with the zerk fittings) the attachment of the WD bars. I have lubricated the ball twice and have painted the orange part of the hitch once since 2002. I probably should lubricate the ball more often, but there have been no problems. Perhaps that is because the trailer is small.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
About once or twice a year I lubricate with WD-40 the WD bar jacks and other moving parts on the hitch. Before a long trip, I grease (with the zerk fittings) the attachment of the WD bars. I have lubricated the ball twice and have painted the orange part of the hitch once since 2002. I probably should lubricate the ball more often, but there have been no problems. Perhaps that is because the trailer is small.

Tim

That sounds very reasonable, especially given the age of your Hensley.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
So it sounds like the stinger simply needs to get seated and as force is initially exerted on it, it’s a non-issue?

Yup. It's a non-issue once the slack is out of the stinger. The only reason I plan to clamp it is to reduce the rubbing on the paint, and wife does not like surprise sudden noises.

It pretty much stays in place once the WD bar tension is just right. The Toyota receiver is pretty tight compared to what I have heard about other brands on the forums. Some have had to use shims, others mentioned hitch pin holes getting elongated. The Tacoma needs a very long hitch pin because the receiver is heavily reinforced...and a bit thicker than others I have used.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Yup. It's a non-issue once the slack is out of the stinger. The only reason I plan to clamp it is to reduce the rubbing on the paint, and wife does not like surprise sudden noises.

It pretty much stays in place once the WD bar tension is just right. The Toyota receiver is pretty tight compared to what I have heard about other brands on the forums. Some have had to use shims, others mentioned hitch pin holes getting elongated. The Tacoma needs a very long hitch pin because the receiver is heavily reinforced...and a bit thicker than others I have used.

What have you read or heard about Chevy Silverado 1500 hitch receivers?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Corona , California
No knowledge. Last GM product I owned was a 79 GMC van with an aftermarket hitch. Managed to bend it when we hit a patch of corrugated snow and ice on s highway near Flagstaff at high speed while towing wife's Camry. The car and tow dolly bounced up high enough to be seen in the back window. Good thing I didn't hit brakes-could have been much worse!!! Semis were crawling at 10 mph through that mess. No warning signs... came close to having a 'laundry problem' it was so violent a ride.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Short trailers in general can be prone to sway more so than say a 25
I just lost my old Hensley...cracked and failed on a slow speed turn but 21 years old so no real surprise. They apparently fail the way mine did at the equalizer insertion point in the body, and nearly always on a slow speed turn.
I now have an Easy-lift...works OK but I really miss the Hensley..hook-up issue notwithstanding....far better than the standard hitch and anti-sway friction bar
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Short trailers in general can be prone to sway more so than say a 25
I just lost my old Hensley...cracked and failed on a slow speed turn but 21 years old so no real surprise. They apparently fail the way mine did at the equalizer insertion point in the body, and nearly always on a slow speed turn.
I now have an Easy-lift...works OK but I really miss the Hensley..hook-up issue notwithstanding....far better than the standard hitch and anti-sway friction bar
JCW

Too bad about the loss. Doesn’t Hensley offer a lifetime warranty? Couldn’t you lean on this policy to have your Hensley replaced?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Yes. Hensley sent me a new hitch head when one of my trapezoid bearings failed after a long trip to Alaska. Through the years, they have supplied me with numerous parts, gratis, under warranty. They will even replace "worn Zerk fittings" if you send the old ones to them. They are aware my 35' Slide Out pushes the hitch design limits for North Canada and Alaska roads. Their warranty applies to the original owner, but they do have a warranty you can buy for second hand units.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Yes. Hensley sent me a new hitch head when one of my trapezoid bearings failed after a long trip to Alaska. Through the years, they have supplied me with numerous parts, gratis, under warranty. They will even replace "worn Zerk fittings" if you send the old ones to them. They are aware my 35' Slide Out pushes the hitch design limits for North Canada and Alaska roads. Their warranty applies to the original owner, but they do have a warranty you can buy for second hand units.

guskmg

That’s understandable. I presumed you were the original owner. It’s good to see they’ve supported their product, even for a second owner.