Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. It's a non-issue once the slack is out of the stinger. The only reason I plan to clamp it is to reduce the rubbing on the paint, and wife does not like surprise sudden noises.

It pretty much stays in place once the WD bar tension is just right. The Toyota receiver is pretty tight compared to what I have heard about other brands on the forums. Some have had to use shims, others mentioned hitch pin holes getting elongated. The Tacoma needs a very long hitch pin because the receiver is heavily reinforced...and a bit thicker than others I have used.

What have you read or heard about Chevy Silverado 1500 hitch receivers?

ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No knowledge. Last GM product I owned was a 79 GMC van with an aftermarket hitch. Managed to bend it when we hit a patch of corrugated snow and ice on s highway near Flagstaff at high speed while towing wife's Camry. The car and tow dolly bounced up high enough to be seen in the back window. Good thing I didn't hit brakes-could have been much worse!!! Semis were crawling at 10 mph through that mess. No warning signs... came close to having a 'laundry problem' it was so violent a ride.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Short trailers in general can be prone to sway more so than say a 25
I just lost my old Hensley...cracked and failed on a slow speed turn but 21 years old so no real surprise. They apparently fail the way mine did at the equalizer insertion point in the body, and nearly always on a slow speed turn.
I now have an Easy-lift...works OK but I really miss the Hensley..hook-up issue notwithstanding....far better than the standard hitch and anti-sway friction bar
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Short trailers in general can be prone to sway more so than say a 25
I just lost my old Hensley...cracked and failed on a slow speed turn but 21 years old so no real surprise. They apparently fail the way mine did at the equalizer insertion point in the body, and nearly always on a slow speed turn.
I now have an Easy-lift...works OK but I really miss the Hensley..hook-up issue notwithstanding....far better than the standard hitch and anti-sway friction bar
JCW

Too bad about the loss. Doesnít Hensley offer a lifetime warranty? Couldnít you lean on this policy to have your Hensley replaced?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Yes. Hensley sent me a new hitch head when one of my trapezoid bearings failed after a long trip to Alaska. Through the years, they have supplied me with numerous parts, gratis, under warranty. They will even replace "worn Zerk fittings" if you send the old ones to them. They are aware my 35' Slide Out pushes the hitch design limits for North Canada and Alaska roads. Their warranty applies to the original owner, but they do have a warranty you can buy for second hand units.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Yes. Hensley sent me a new hitch head when one of my trapezoid bearings failed after a long trip to Alaska. Through the years, they have supplied me with numerous parts, gratis, under warranty. They will even replace "worn Zerk fittings" if you send the old ones to them. They are aware my 35' Slide Out pushes the hitch design limits for North Canada and Alaska roads. Their warranty applies to the original owner, but they do have a warranty you can buy for second hand units.

guskmg

Thatís understandable. I presumed you were the original owner. Itís good to see theyíve supported their product, even for a second owner.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
Too bad about the loss. Doesn’t Hensley offer a lifetime warranty? Couldn’t you lean on this policy to have your Hensley replaced?
I needed a hitch immediately and have simply set the broken hitch aside.
It is 21 years old and I am the third owner. When this busy season is over I will clean it up and take photos, then write to Hensley
Interestingly many of the old Hensleys in our unit have had a strap welded around the tubes holding the equalizer bars. This particular failure is a well known problem.
Comment about greasing the Hensley. The ball doesn't move so grease inside the hitch never gets displaced. The emergency tow operator commented that I was one of very few who had gobs of grease on the ball. He said most were completely dry! The bars were well greased; failure was at the welds holding the tubes on the bottom plate
JCW
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I needed a hitch immediately and have simply set the broken hitch aside.
It is 21 years old and I am the third owner. When this busy season is over I will clean it up and take photos, then write to Hensley
Interestingly many of the old Hensleys in our unit have had a strap welded around the tubes holding the equalizer bars. This particular failure is a well known problem.
Comment about greasing the Hensley. The ball doesn't move so grease inside the hitch never gets displaced. The emergency tow operator commented that I was one of very few who had gobs of grease on the ball. He said most were completely dry! The bars were well greased; failure was at the welds holding the tubes on the bottom plate
JCW
I would be interested in your pics. I, too, bought mine used and it is about the same age, although used little before I bought it. Do you know what weight rating the bars are? My serial number sticker had long rotted off before I got mine, so I couldn't even buy the warranty transfer. By its construction, Hensley determined it was a pretty early production model. I sandblasted, inspected closely, and repainted about 5 years ago. I also lube every 500 miles or so and drop the head once a year (about 5k miles usually), clean and lube the ball and coupler. I have put about 25k miles on the hitch. Due for an inspection before winterizing and storing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I would be interested in your pics. I, too, bought mine used and it is about the same age, although used little before I bought it. Do you know what weight rating the bars are? My serial number sticker had long rotted off before I got mine, so I couldn't even buy the warranty transfer. .
I'll bookmark this post and post pics once I get the thing cleaned up
Pretty sure my bars are 10,000 lb. This trailer probably has at least 30,000 Miles on it and Hensley is original to the new trailer from Can AM
JCW