Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
FB verses RB

Just curious. What is the advantage/disadvantage of the location of bedroom. I think I would prefer a RB, that way when I wake up if there is water, stream, or mountain view, I could lay in bed and enjoy! Seems like it would be more private and quieter also. Your experiences?

Thanks!
Dwain
Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
This subject has been kicked around on this forum quite a bit. Aside from dinette location, the RB bath has a bath window & slightly bigger, lounge is slightly smaller.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
We opted for the RB 26U Twin for the exact reasons you stated. Downside is sometimes wish we had rear entry. We don't use the dinette often enough to enjoy the scenery had we gotten a FB model. Even for daytime naps, and just watching TV I find the bedroom so much more comfortable - so RB has been perfect for us. But like with everything, your mileage will vary.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
My two cents' worth, based on living in my 27FB: I spend a lot more "awake" time in my dinette/kitchen area than in bed, so the view there is the most important to me. When I back into a campsite, I'd much rather have a view of scenery from the back windows all day than a view of the rear end of my truck from the front windows. On the other hand, when I go to bed I don't care what's outside the window, because it's dark and I'm going to be asleep for the next eight hours. So I strongly prefer the front bedroom and rear dinette layout.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I like the rear door in the FB. Took some getting used to; I still go to the front "door" sometimes and it's not there.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I think the main advantage of RB is the entrance door location. You can back into a shorter campsite and still have your door on the patio area.

The biggest grip I have of the RB is the shower stall. The bench extends the full width and standing in it is more difficult than the half bench in the FB. Even then there is enough room underneath to shorten the bench so you could stand more comfortably.

RB has a bigger toilet bath area which is appealing too.

Its all a compromise one way or the other.

Kelvin
Old 11-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
We strongly prefer the rear bedroom layout of our 28 over the front bedroom 27 (both are 28' long, by the way). The advantages are the entrance door is at the front so we can hang the rear end off in shorter spots, the storage area is much more accessible in the rear queen then front queen, the big side windows are on the awning side. The last is really nice if you can park to have a good view from a side that the view inside and the view from the awning side are the same (such as when we stay along the ocean). Also, you are looking out on your patio instead of the neighbors in a more traditional RV park. Even the 30 is goofed up with the big windows on the wrong side.

We understand many love the front bedroom layouts which is obvious by many of the newer models have only been available that way (Sterling, Onyx, Eddie Baurer, Land Yacht, Pendleton, Tommie Bahama, Globe Trotter). Hopefully, Airstream will come out the with a new crisp, modern 28'.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I have heard both arguments for RB v FB. Our 22 is FB. From a safety perspective, having a window to peek out of on the road side of the rig is nice. I can verify if I hear anyone 'messing' with my TV, batteries, or LP. Besides, our FB has a rear bathroom and there's nothing like a throne with a view...
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are experienced Airstreamers with over 1,800 nights on the road. We started out in 2005 with the then newly released 25FB. There was not an RB at that time. We kept the 2005 for eight years. When we decided to get a new Airstream, we looked long and hard at the 25RB, and spent many hours sitting in one on the dealer's lot.

After due consideration, we decided to go with another 25FB. the main deciding factor was the view from the dinette. Most often there is a better view from the back of the Airstrteam. In our Airstreaming style, we spend a lot of one nighters at various campgrounds. In these instances, we usually stay hooked-up to the tow vehicle. In an RB, our view would consist of the LP tanks and the back end of our tow vehicle.

We prefer the FB, but the RB is also a very nice floor plan. Best wishes in your decision.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
My wife and I like the FB layout BUT it does have a weakness. Namely that you store a lot more things in the lounge/kitchen area where you can get at them.

Now with the FB, this means that you have a lot of weight bouncing around the back end of the trailer. Seems like every cattle guard dumped the road atlases and travel books out of the overhead locker onto the floor. And were we contributing to rear end separation?

Time will tell on that, but in the meantime the atlases and books are getting moved to the front because 52 book pick up isn't all that fun.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As you go from a FB to an RB, the door that gets to the under bed storage area becomes much easier to get at in a center bed layout. If you go from a queen to a twin, you get two more doors for outside storage. If this isn't making much sense, take a look at some trailers on a dealer's lot. People tend to focus on the insides. The outside setup matters at least as much.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
RB advantages

For us, there were 3 factors that made us choose the RB (which hasn't arrived yet)
  1. A microwave and an oven.
  2. The larger, brighter bath with a window.
  3. We have 2 large dogs who lounge on the bed most of the day and watch the world go by (aka "watching doggie television"). I doubt that will change when we're on the road. The last thing we want is them gruffing at every passerby in a campground. We think that's less likely with an RB as we know they'll choose the bed over the dinette.
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It DEPENDS! Which model AS is being considered?

The FB is our preference as it allows us to keep an eye on our tow vehicle at night.

And we didn't get a travel trailer to SIT in it for the view! We got it to GET OUT to enjoy the view!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It DEPENDS! Which model AS is being considered?

The FB is our preference as it allows us to keep an eye on our tow vehicle at night.

And we didn't get a travel trailer to SIT in it for the view! We got it to GET OUT to enjoy the view!
Hi

Well, I gotta say - when it's pouring down rain all day long, sitting looking out those great big AS windows is a *lot* better than lying in a little tent. Also, if it's bug season / bug time of day, having a place to escape to is a good thing Some of them seem to be attracted by DEET ....

Bob
Old 12-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
This topic comes up a lot. After having lived in my RB 2016 Classic for about 14 months now, I can say I would have preferred FB. In fact, my ideal Airstream layout is the current 30 Classic but with the trailer layout reversed.

Right now in the living area I've got a great view of the happenings in the travel camp out front. Coming and goings of people etc. I'd much rather have that view of the river out back. IMO rear bedroom is silly.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
This topic comes up a lot. After having lived in my RB 2016 Classic for about 14 months now, I can say I would have preferred FB. In fact, my ideal Airstream layout is the current 30 Classic but with the trailer layout reversed.

Right now in the living area I've got a great view of the happenings in the travel camp out front. Coming and goings of people etc. I'd much rather have that view of the river out back. IMO rear bedroom is silly.

X2 love the 30' layout better than 27', we have had both.
The only time the RB is better is when you have a site where it's necessary to hang the rear beyond the stop blocks leaving the steps out in the dirt, often unlevel. Have encountered this several times.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well, I gotta say - when it's pouring down rain all day long, sitting looking out those great big AS windows is a *lot* better than lying in a little tent. Also, if it's bug season / bug time of day, having a place to escape to is a good thing Some of them seem to be attracted by DEET ....

Bob
Those "great big" windows also reduce bedroom privacy, and interfere with the ability to lie in bed and lean up against the wall while reading/watching TV.
My wife really thought it a shame the AS we bought did not have the big pano windows around the bed.... until she had a chance to try a later model with those big windows and found out those disadvantages as well as how cold the windows are at night. Each to his own... just offering an opinion the OP asked for.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Well, I note you have not said which size AS your looking at? We have had both FB and RB 25's, and currently have a RB 28'. I think there is more to a FB or RB decision then just the bed location...size and layout will also contribute to the overall living experience. You might consider that you "think" you will be spending most of the time outside anyway...so location not important? We try to cook and to eat outside most of the time, but we also will spend a good amount time inside at night to watch TV/movie or have breakfast inside when it is cold outside.

The rear view can be advantageous when there is a view out the back for these reasons...but, I don't remember us ever "discussing" that we were "sorry we don't have a view out the back" in our current unit...least not yet!
There is so much more about the AS life then location of the bed...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Those "great big" windows also reduce bedroom privacy, and interfere with the ability to lie in bed and lean up against the wall while reading/watching TV.
My wife really thought it a shame the AS we bought did not have the big pano windows around the bed.... until she had a chance to try a later model with those big windows and found out those disadvantages as well as how cold the windows are at night. Each to his own... just offering an opinion the OP asked for.
Hi

Want to read in bed? Push the button and raise the top end of the bed Wife likes that feature, I've never ever used it.

No matter where in the trailer they are, the windows do create a bit of a draft issue. That's true if you are in bed, or sitting at the dinette. Shades down nukes the draft a bit, but the view goes away. Even with the dual pane windows here at home there is the same tradeoff.

If it's really cold, condensation is (to me) the bigger issue with the windows. That is a bit unique to the single pane design in the AS and to the high humidity levels you get in an RV.

All that said, I *really* like the windows. I would not want any fewer than I have.

Bob
Old 12-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
FB versus RB

You pose a GREAT question! I prefer the rear bedroom simply because the access and storage from the back of the trailer, and under the queen bed is excellent! I keep all my tools and such gear in the very back, and the nice large opening is unobstructed. A huge plus in my book. I hope that this helps. Mike
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote