Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Fantastic Fan Cover

Have any of you folks installed this cover or something similar on your Bambi?

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...SABEgKxAvD_BwE

Have you towed with this installed and the fantastic fan door open? Any issues?
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We got the white version and installed it on the rear vent of our 25FB.

The cover slightly reduces the height the lid can open, but that does not seem to restrict the flow by much. The version we got has four metal mounts that you affix to the roof (we used 3M VHB plus sealant). Each mount has a post that the cover drops on to. The cover has slots for the posts, not just holes, so you don't have to get the mounts in "perfect" position.

We did encounter a problem related to the slots. When we get strong winds from the rear, the cover slides forward, and then you can't open the lid. At first we thought the problem was the grill getting loose so we secured it with some zip-ties. We still had trouble. My final solution was to put a second post with a washer on top though each slot. This post has no attachment to the roof, but it takes up all the space in the slot so the cover can't slide fore and aft.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
The specs list the cover as being 10.25” tall. Is that about the same height as the AC on the roof of the AS, or does it add extra inches?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I installed the MaxxAir cover on my Fantastic Fan on my Casita.

It has the proper air flow for the Fantastic Fan. You can get it on Amazon for $38.15

It's brackets mount to the side of the base and the cover clips to the brackets.
Attached Images

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We installed a Fantastic Fan cover on ours and went travelling. While in SW New Mexico we visited Ft Craig which involved a 3 mile drive down a smooth dirt road. We drove IN with the vent closed and no problem whatsoever.
We ate lunch in the trailer and then toured the Fort.

But the afternoon heated up ...so we got the same idea as you... we opened the vent for the drive down to Elephant Butte.

Boy! What a mistake! The difference driving that 3 miles was a TON of DUST throughout the trailer that took several hours to clean up. We'll NEVER do that again!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
We installed a Fantastic Fan cover on ours and went travelling. While in SW New Mexico we visited Ft Craig which involved a 3 mile drive down a smooth dirt road. We drove IN with the vent closed and no problem whatsoever.
We ate lunch in the trailer and then toured the Fort.

But the afternoon heated up ...so we got the same idea as you... we opened the vent for the drive down to Elephant Butte.

Boy! What a mistake! The difference driving that 3 miles was a TON of DUST throughout the trailer that took several hours to clean up. We'll NEVER do that again!

Wow, not good! It sounds like opening the fan lid while driving will suck in a bunch of outside dust. Looks like these covers may only be good to be able to keep the fan lid open during rain, which up here in the PNW can come in handy.

Do you have a photo of what it looks like installed on your AS?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I generally travel with all the vents shut, even with covers. If I need fan cooling for a stop, I turn both fans on exhaust at full speed and leave the screen door shut to keep bugs out. If the doggies are in while we eat, I open a window and run fans if the outside air is less than 80 degrees. Otherwise it's take out and someone stays in the TV with air conditioning running...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I also have the MaxxAir version because I like its attachment better. I do not travel with the FF open and I only have this on my rear fan. It is nice to be able to use the fan when it is raining. I think it does restrict the amount of air that will blow in, but I do not notice the restriction as much when exhausting. I leave the FF fan cover open when storing the trailer and the ventilation is sufficient to preclude mold.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I also have the MaxxAir version because I like its attachment better. I do not travel with the FF open and I only have this on my rear fan. It is nice to be able to use the fan when it is raining. I think it does restrict the amount of air that will blow in, but I do not notice the restriction as much when exhausting. I leave the FF fan cover open when storing the trailer and the ventilation is sufficient to preclude mold.

Larry

Good to know about leaving the FF open while storing the AS. Do you store it outside? In rain and cooler temps? I live in Seattle and the avg. temp is ~52F with damp air and/or rain, so I’m trying to understand what the best method of outdoor storage consists of in terms of airflow, mold, etc.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
Wow, not good! It sounds like opening the fan lid while driving will suck in a bunch of outside dust. Looks like these covers may only be good to be able to keep the fan lid open during rain, which up here in the PNW can come in handy.

Do you have a photo of what it looks like installed on your AS?
Sorry the pics are not that good....taken inside my hangar where I have it stored...and the scaffolding I use to work on top. (Click on the pics to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fantasticCover.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	292980   Click image for larger version

Name:	fantasticCover2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	292981  

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Sorry the pics are not that good....taken inside my hangar where I have it stored...and the scaffolding I use to work on top. (Click on the pics to enlarge)

These photos are great. I have a good idea of what it looks like installed. I’ll likely have the dealer install this on the AS I purchase (probably FC 20). I’m debating whether I’d want it on both FFs or only one.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, open in all weather. You need ventilation to preclude mold, although I had good success with an ozone generator on my boat. On my AS with the FF cover open and the shower vent open I get plenty of air flow, hot, cold, humid.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You want both. One needs to be open to feed air to the other. Intake and exhaust required. Keep closed while traveling. In a stop, open door and run both. Standard powered fan direction is exhaust flow. You can install a bi-directional switch. Worth doing. The older ones had that capability.

MaxxAir sells a fan with popup hood. Nice unit. Sits lower than the fixed hoods. I like the Fantastic fan fixed hood (rigid) better than MaxxAir hood (flexible).

The hoods are about the same level as AC cover. We purchased smoke color.

Get an insulating pad from Camping World or similar to keep the heat out when running AC.

Fun upgrade - Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	292995  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I've always wondered... Any find that spiders like to setup shop under the covers?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I've always wondered... Any find that spiders like to setup shop under the covers?

I suppose turning the fan on would resolve the issue?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Fantastic Fan Cover

Have not seen spiders here on the AS vents in the SoCal desert. One thing that may deter them is that AS is in a dark area. The standing lights on the house, however, are full of webs.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote