Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Failed Ovhd Vent Fan

The sole Fantastic (or whatever brand it is) Fan in our 22' Sport (2008 model) is just outside the bath door, inside the entry-door, and in front of the wardrobe. It's one of the "economy" models I'm sure, as it has only a rotating "rheostat" type switch... it clicks on/off and rotating the knob thru it's full range governs the fan speed. (There is also a spoked-knob which opens/closes the cover.)
Anyway... one day the fan quit working. I figured it to be a simple fix... but NO! There are no parts available and it's not an identifiable brand-name, although the OEM fan.
It's also not a simple rheostat....it's controlled by a PC-type circuit-board...with a 3"-square printed circuit of electronics. Searching about, I exhausted every resource attempting to find replacement... but AS only offers a NEW inexpensive fan... for $345 plus shipping! And installation too, of course.
Not wishing to spend that much and also not salivating over the prospect of finding new ways to introduce leaks to the roof, ...I thought I'd try to find some electrical genius at work who might be able to diagnose/repair the circuit-board. (My day job was as an aircraft simulator instructor-pilot and I knew we had electronic genius's at work who keep those things running.)
The engineering dept was full of about 35 electronic "technicians"... none of whom thought they were capable of fixing it... and one of them referred me to another technician who was out that day... a guy name "Trann".
Next day, finding Trann at his workbench, I showed him the PC board and asked if he thought it repairable.
"Amellicans arr just trow-away evie-ting!", responded Trann. "In Viet-Nahm we must FEEX! I look at and terr tomollow."

Next day, in my company mailbox I found an envelope and opened it to see the PC board with a new component installed that looked like a plastic blob with three wires soldered to the board, and a note: "This PC board is an intermittent DC controller which varies fan speed by varying pulses of DC current. I think it is now OK."
When I took it home and reinstalled it...the fan ran backwards. :embarrassed: I failed to note the polarity when I removed it. I also noted the main power-supply wires to the fan which cautioned the original installer not to reverse the connections or risk destroying the controller.
I re-installed the PC board the "other" way... and VOILA! Works PERFECT!

I tried to pay Trann but he refused any/all efforts, ... so I bought a Home Depot gift-card and dropped it into his company mailbox.

Hope this helps anyone who might run into this issue.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
It only helps if we have access to Trann!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]