Old 10-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
what I forgot to tell you

Things will go wrong. Expect it and when it happens face it with humor.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
moosetags What a descriptive way of giving instructions #1 - #13. Easy to read. People like us who are new appreciate this method of giving instructions. Thanks Aria

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Dry run. Have a campout at home but pretend no water, AC, cable TV. Cook, sleep, shower and use the potty. You'll quickly discover what doesn't work and what essentials you need to bring along. Don't go back to the house until Sunday to do laundry.In the submarine overhaul and repair business, we call this fast cruise. For 4 days the ship shuts the hatches, starts up the propulsion plant and pretends to be underway. This is performed immediatley prior to sea trials - we find out what's broke.
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
I had posted #9, and I could tell by the following posts, that I did not make it clear enough on the AC check. You should use a polarity checker. You will need a 20 ampfemale to a 30amp adapter to be able to check your 30amp at the pole. The breakers will take care of the amp situation, but a voltage meter always plugged into a receptacle in the unit is a good plan. You want your voltage to be above 105, and below 128. If the power is either way of those two prarmeters, it is a good plan to turn off AC powered equipment until it improves.
Use 4 ought steel wool to keep the prongs on your electrical plug shiny and bright. I won't recommend this practice due to someone doing it wrong, however, I always turn the breaker off on the tower, and use a plastic handled diamond dust fingernail file to clean the female receptacle as well. All this cuts resistance WAYYY down.
2000 390 Landyacht XL
1989 29' Excella
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
1. Learn out to get a trailer out of a yawing condition (manual application of the trailer brakes while accelerating the tow vehicle).

2. Learn how to back your trailer.

3. Check your tail lights and turn signals before you start out.

4. Anticipate and watch truck traffic approaching from behind.

The one thing I love is how the trailer tows. Nothing else like it.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California

Make yourself a checklist of everything you need to do to your Airstream when preparing for travel. The list should include things like:
1. Close roof vents
2. Turn off water pump and monitor.
3. Turn off hot water heater.
4. Close windows.
5. ETC

This way you won't make a dumb mistake,like leaving your TV antenna up and driving under some low hanging trees.

The best thing I like about my Airstream is the fact that it is an Airstream, and the interest it generates wherever I go. People are always so curious about it so it is quite the conversation piece.
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Roscinante, Great choice. Bambi 19 ft. When we started looking this was our choice. We had never owned a travel trailer and we are still working. We decided to try it. We located a 20 ft Vintage Globetrotter 1967 and if we like camping we may get our Bambi. All Airstreams are wonderful. Size, model...your choice. ENJOY

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote