Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Dust, carpets, and more

His might sound pedantic, but how do you keep your AS free of dirt, dust, etc when being out on gravel pads,
gravel roads, harsh winds in the desert, etc.

We use 8 or so small rugs from IKEA and a larger "sand free" 10x8 camping mat. But with two dogs
and lots of foot traffic, it seems a never ending catching up with sand.

Perhaps I am just too worried and should enjoy instead of cleaning daily...

Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
His might sound pedantic, but how do you keep your AS free of dirt, dust, etc when being out on gravel pads, gravel roads, harsh winds in the desert, etc. We use 8 or so small rugs from IKEA and a larger "sand free" 10x8 camping mat. But with two dogs and lots of foot traffic, it seems a never ending catching up with sand. Perhaps I am just too worried and should enjoy instead of cleaning daily...
Between the two of us, wife and I, we just grab the broom and dust pan, kept in the bath room, and do a quick sweep once, sometimes twice a day. So quick and without carpet, so easy. We have 3 dogs, so know your situation.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have a couple of woven, washable, reversible rugs that are shaken and flipped over a couple of times a week.

We keep a small, soft, hand-held brush by the door, for the step and immediate access area.

We also keep a 12volt vacuum plugged in and run this over rugs and floor surfaces at least once a day.

We like things clean and tidy, but accept that debris is going to happen if you are out and about having fun.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
While washable throw rugs can capture and make the removal of dirt somewhat easier they only catch Some Of The Dirt.

The dirt that is missed goes down into the floor covering carpet and remains there.

If you want to get further ahead of the dirt control issue, but not completely defeat it, consider removing the carpet and installing a manufactured floor covering. These hard surface systems allow for a more complete removal of the dirt tracked in. I replaced the carpet and use throw area rugs.

While on the road we take the throws out and shake them out while dust mopping the floor. When home the throws go into the washing machine.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
ROOM-BA! Well why not? It never gets tired of sweeping.

Within limits rugs are good, but sometimes, more rugs make more work. Get a big bristle or rubber bristle one for outside, one inside at the door that absorbs moisture. One in front of the shower that also absorbs water. A vacuum is almost more work than it is worth, but a broom and dustpan works fine. Just do it regularly.

Some folks take their shoes off at the door. Fine if you keep flipflops or slippers there.

The real culprit might not be the dogs, it might be the "waffle stomper" athletic shoes we all wear. Try taking your shoes off at the door and look at the bottoms. Mine must track in a pound of grass, sand, cigarette butts, etc.

Paula
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We have a painted floor - aluminum tinted Aluthane. It matches the aluminum trim in our vintage trailer and provides a durable, easy to sweep surface. It's not the coziest of things to walk on, so I have polypropylene Ikea throw rugs. We shake them out now and then and then power wash them between trips. They always come clean.

A trailer is a means of getting out into the wilderness, and wilderness can have dirt in it. Relax your tidiness expectations, enjoy the location you are in, and save your dirt expulsion for when you are home.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Bristle brush on the step to try and keep the dirt out, and a push-vacuum for the carpet inside. Carpet can come out if necessary for a real good vacuuming when we get home from a trip. I prefer having carpet inside because it's more comfortable to walk on barefoot, and carpet actually helps catch dust and keep it down, while bare floors result in more dust in the air.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
At home or in the AS we keep a microfiber towel handy and wipe the dog's feet (we have 2 mid sized ones) every time they come in...it helps...or at least makes us feel that it helps!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Thank you all for the good comments. Broom and dustpan and a relaxed attitude is probably the name of the game.

Stefrbrts, is your carpet custom cut? I like the thought of having a nice fit, but still able to take it out once in a while for a good cleaning.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Bristle brush on the step to try and keep the dirt out, and a push-vacuum for the carpet inside. Carpet can come out if necessary for a real good vacuuming when we get home from a trip. I prefer having carpet inside because it's more comfortable to walk on barefoot, and carpet actually helps catch dust and keep it down, while bare floors result in more dust in the air.
We must be in the minority these days, but I really love carpet in the trailer. Softer and warmer underfoot, and there is so little area that when it gets groody, I replace it. Thinking of carpet squares next time and in the new FC, maybe this upcoming year.

I don't like the fake wood floors, and the vinyl fake wood is even worse!

As you said, carpet also absorbs a lot of dirt, and holds it in place until you get a chance to suck it out with a vacuum or toss it out with new.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Stefrbrts, is your carpet custom cut? I like the thought of having a nice fit, but still able to take it out once in a while for a good cleaning.
Yes, we got a big carpet remnant and cut it to fit, and it stays in place just fine, not fastened down at all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote