Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
De-Winterizing - Water Heater Issue

Hey experts,

Its 64 degs and I just de-winterized my 17 22FB at home. Its my first one so I read the manual over and over. Everything is in working order except I'm not getting hot water. After I cleared the system of the pink antifreeze, I lifted the bed and turn off the bypass switch and I heard the water going into the tank. I turned on the water heater in the bathroom wall and heard the furnace fire and stayed heating for about 15 mins.

I tried the hot water on all the faucets and got cold water. Heard the water pump going too. FYI. I filled up the water to the fresh water tank and have been using that. I read somewhere that I would be using the city inlet line to get the hot water going but don't know why that would make a difference. Im already at 50 percent grey water capacity so I'm reluctant to do that before I head to a dump station.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Some switch I'm not turning on?

Looking to head out to camp in two days for spring break and hoping to get this fixed asap.

Hope someone can get me a answer quickly

Perry
redvfr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Update.

I turn off the water pump, the remaining water that comes out is HOT! I turn the water pump back on, its cold again.

Must be a simple solution...
Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Just run all your hot water fixtures long enough to be sure they are all clear of air and run hot. Not sure what's going on but it sounds like things are working. By the way if you've just been clearing your lines of Antifreeze and flush water you should be able to just dump your grey tank wherever you are. No worse then washing your car.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
So just to be sure we understand the problem, you lift the faucet lever up and to the left, which would be hot, you get a good flow of water but its cold? And the same thing happens in the kitchen and bath? You also have a good flow of cold at both sinks? Before you turn the water heater on make sure you've let the hot water run and get a continuous stream of water so you sure the heater is full. You're sure you have your hw heater bypass valve open?
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
So just to be sure we understand the problem, you lift the faucet lever up and to the left, which would be hot, you get a good flow of water but its cold? And the same thing happens in the kitchen and bath? You also have a good flow of cold at both sinks? Before you turn the water heater on make sure you've let the hot water run and get a continuous stream of water so you sure the heater is full. You're sure you have your hw heater bypass valve open?
Frank, correct with the lever. same happens in kitchen and bath with good flow. The only value I turned allowed the water to flow into the heater water tank. I could hear it going in. Was there another value to turn on? Also, when I shut off the water pump, the hot water works on the faucets until it dribbles due to lack of pressure.

Thanks, Perry
Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvfr02 View Post
Frank, correct with the lever. same happens in kitchen and bath with good flow. The only value I turned allowed the water to flow into the heater water tank. I could hear it going in. Was there another value to turn on? Also, when I shut off the water pump, the hot water works on the faucets until it dribbles due to lack of pressure.

Thanks, Perry
Not sure on the 22 Sport, is it one valve for the bypass, some trailers have more than one valve, that need to be turned on and off in a certain configuration to allow you to not only fill the water heater, but also make sure the hot water can get OUT of the water heater. Double check with the manual!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I had the same problem. After de-winterizing, the water heater worked and heated water. But at the faucets/shower, I would get about 15 seconds of hot water before it went cold and the flow dropped to almost nothing. Turns out, all of the sediment in the bottom of the water heater had gotten stirred up when refilling/dewinterizing, and clogged the mixing valve (on the back of the water heater) and also sent sediment into all of the water lines, clogging the faucets/shower.

To fix it, I removed all the screens from the faucets and cleaned the sand/sediment out of them. Disassembled all of the faucets and soaked them in vinegar over night. Filled the water heater with vinegar and turned it on and let it heat overnight. Drained the water heater and used a special wand (sold at camping world and online) to rinse out the water heater. An amazing amount of sediment came out. After this, I had more hot water, but instead of running about 15 seconds of hot water, it would run about 2 minutes before the flow decreased and it went cold. I did the entire procedure again. Now it runs about 2 minutes of hot water and then will run warm water indefinitely (until I actually use all the hot water). I suspect there is still some sediment in the mixing valve. I bought a new mixing valve but have been unable to get the old mixing valve off, so I haven't changed it yet to confirm that it is truly the problem.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
I seemed to have many valves. The only one i turned on was near the top of the tank that allowed water to fill the heater tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170409_202012686.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	283092Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170409_202140187.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	283093
Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Not sure on the 22 Sport, is it one valve for the bypass, some trailers have more than one valve, that need to be turned on and off in a certain configuration to allow you to not only fill the water heater, but also make sure the hot water can get OUT of the water heater. Double check with the manual!
My manual only states turning on the bypass valve. I had this serviced at the dealer so I don't know what they shut off. Worst case is that I call them tomorrow and hopefully get a answer.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
This pictures is of winter settings for water heater with bypass engaged, cold in and hot out turned off. To correctly set for summer, change all 3 of these to be the opposite of what is show here.

That will get the water heater settings correct for use.

The other two valves on the floor are the low point drains. They will need to each be closed to build up pressure in the water lines for use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter setting.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	283094  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
To dewinterize you need to turn 3 valves, not just one. The picture Piggy Bank just posted is perfect. Turn the top and the bottom valves to be in line with the pipes. Turn the bypass valve in the vertical line to perpendicular to the line.

The water comes into the heater at the lower left in the white pipe. It flows into the heater and exits at the top. Follow this flow and you will see that the top and bottom valves need to be open. During the winter you shut these valves and open the bypass valve.

If you leave all three open, then some of the cold water can mix with some of the hot water leaving the tank. This will also cause some problems.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Just run all your hot water fixtures long enough to be sure they are all clear of air and run hot. Not sure what's going on but it sounds like things are working. By the way if you've just been clearing your lines of Antifreeze and flush water you should be able to just dump your grey tank wherever you are. No worse then washing your car.
Bad advice especially in the east. No gray dumping unless posted to do so.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
To dewinterize you need to turn 3 valves, not just one. The picture Piggy Bank just posted is perfect. Turn the top and the bottom valves to be in line with the pipes. Turn the bypass valve in the vertical line to perpendicular to the line.

The water comes into the heater at the lower left in the white pipe. It flows into the heater and exits at the top. Follow this flow and you will see that the top and bottom valves need to be open. During the winter you shut these valves and open the bypass valve.

If you leave all three open, then some of the cold water can mix with some of the hot water leaving the tank. This will also cause some problems.
Thanks guys. I will give it a try after i get back from work today. Will post update.

Feels like I'm in a flash Gordon movie pushing buttons and turn levers. [emoji16]
Old 04-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #14
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
it's the mixing valve. We had the same issue, and it gradually, with use cleared itself up and produced hot water.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
Classy Roscoe

We are in Big Ben. Same issue with hot water. Realized mixing unit. Silver device affixed to back of hot water heater.

To access, there is a round hole under front couch on street side. Lift seat pillow to find hole and there is mixing unit.

Smite it with the back of a kitchen knife about 4 times and life returns to normal.

Big Ben is as always fantastic. Just 103' at 3 PM but very cool at night. Wind just came up to about 15 to 20 mph out of the north.

Good travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Update. it was indeed the mixing valve I had to open. Hot water is available now thru the airstream. Ready for camp now. Thanks for your help all!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
How did you "open" the mixing valve? Do you mean that you just unclogged it (and if so how) or did you actually turn something?
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #18
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
How did you "open" the mixing valve? Do you mean that you just unclogged it (and if so how) or did you actually turn something?
I have a feeling he is actually referring to having all the winterizing bypass valves opened. In his earlier post with pictures, he mentioned he had only turned one valve to dewinterize which filled the tank, but didn't turn correct valve(s) to allow hot water to flow out into the trailer.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Yes. I didn't have all my valves correctly opened. You would think they would put that in the manual.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
same thing here..

I had the exact same issue until I also found the bypass valve with the help of the forum.. only my bypass valve is broken! i called the selling dealer in Chicago , ADVENTURE RV and they are getting us in 4-18 for a same day repair, excellent service !!
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote