Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Sounds like you could be shaking the trailer apart. What tires and pressures are you running on the trailer? Should be around 60 lbs if you have D rated tires. The original C rated that came on Bambis can only be 55 lbs. You're using a WD hitch - what weight bars? They should be light capacity - you only have around 500# of hitch, and that truck wouldn't even notice that. Perhaps if you soften the ride it will help.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2021 23' Globetrotter
Aurora , Colorado
Dometic Door Catch

I had the problem with the refrigerator door coming open in cool weather last fall and went the bungie cord route. This spring I loosened the control panel above the door and pushed it down a bit. I also cut a couple of shims from a Marie Callender's pie pan to fit under the catch on the top of the refrigerator door. No problems so far this summer in 500 miles of highway travel.

BTW, thanks to campadk for the vent cover part numbers (camco 40152/53). A wind gust blew ours off as we were setting up camp at a rally this past weekend. Found a bunch of plastic pieces on the ground and wandered who had lost theirs. The vent was down tight at the time. At least the 40153 turned out to be very easy to install!
Bambi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Wow. You have fine taste in campsites! Think we'll try some of those campgrounds...

Tom
Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #164
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
@robert claus

Thanks for that info Robert. Not sure what the tires are set at right now but I'll check. I always check on tire pressure before trips though. I believe 60 lbs.

Yes light weight Equalizer bars. On the RAM they end up set pretty light as well.

@Bambi75

Be sure to have an extra (or two) on hand! Walmart sells them buy 2 get 5 free! (kidding - but they should). I have no faith in these vents. We use a small bundie cord as well to secure the handle otherwise the wind can easily open it. Not fun if it rains!

@Tom

I'm obsessed with camping on prime waterfront. On this last trip we pretty much had the best sites in every campground.

You are close enough to enjoy many fine waterside campgrounds! We mainly camp at State/DEC campgrounds in NY/NH and occassional VT and Ontario.

Our favorites are Fish Creek Pond (adirondacks NY), Pawtuckaway State Park (NH), Rollins Pond (Fish Creeks neighbour), Lewey Lake (adirondacks NY), Wellsely Island (St Lawrence, NY). Lots of other great waterside destinations as well depending on water you like.

You can check them out on a few of my websites:

Fish Creek/Rollins: Fish Creek Pond Campground (DEC) - Adirondack Park, Upstate New York - Campers Community and Campsite Guide
Campsite Photos of 20 or so campgrounds in NY: New York State Campsite Photo Database

Cheers
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #165
CampADK

Orleans , Ontario
I have also shoved a twist tie into the fridge clip and it worked to hold the lock down but after the door flew open (no twist tie) and I found a jar of spaghetti sauce rolling around on the floor I didn't want to take any chance of it opening again! Now it's bungied each time. Thank goodness the jar didn't break or we would have had a Lucy/Tracy moment!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #166
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post

I don't have any pics from the inside; I will try to take some this weekend but I keep the trailer in a storage so you won't see much scenery through the windows ha ha...

When I bought the trailer from Bates the taillights were horribly corroded (like almost ALL new Airstreams I've seen on lots...the most recent are the worst, they have this yellowing bubbly corroded appearance that looks like cat pee solidified on the lights).

One of the purchase agreements for my trailer was that Airstream would supply new light assemblies which they did. But, I've never installed them. They are clearcoated, but you KNOW what would happen to them if they were installed...filiform time! I didn't want to go on the "quest" to find out what kind of clearcoat wouldn't peel or corrode. I'm going to have them powdercoated chrome sparkly blue to match my truck wheels and my trailer trim and see what they look like on there. Might look horrible, but it's just for fun as I've repaired my original light assemblies last year to perfection by sanding...and sanding...sanding...sanding...sanding...endless sanding...sanding...cussing...fingers raw...bleeding...sanding...sanding...sanding...non-stop f'in' sanding.

After countless hours of sanding (did I mention sanding???) to remove the filiform I simply polished them. No more filiform...

I took the housings off and stripped them with paint stripper. The Airstream clearcoat came off in thin plastic-like sheets.

At first I did a test area of about 2" x 3". All of my sanding has been done wet, with 3m wet/dry sandpaper. It took forever, but it seemed to work. In order to get through the filiform, I actually had to use 120 grit sandpaper (I was thinking maybe 320 or at the most 220 would at least get rid of it but no) as the filiform really eats deep into the metal. So, on the test area I sanded in stages by hand, going in only one direction per grade of sandpaper. When I would switch from 120 to 220 I would then sand entirely in the opposite pattern, and so on until the last grit. I worked my way down on this little 2" x 3" section for hours going through 120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit. I then polished (rather easily) by hand with a rag and Mother's Power Metal aluminum polish. The results on this test area were mirror smooth and shiny.

There is absolutely no way to remove the filiform on these taillights with ANYTHING less than 120 grit. And, it takes literally hours to get down to where the aluminum isn't pitted anymore. It would be impossible to remove it with 1000 grit. If all you wanted to do was remove the white chalky lines and the superficial corrosion, you can do that with 320 grit...but the pitted indented slightly darkened aluminum will remain. 120 grit is the least harsh grit to use to actually sand past the pits by hand. And, again...it takes hours, just with the 120 grit. Then, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, and 2000 followed by hand buffing (or machine buffing if you wish). Even at that point, it will be possible to see pits in the aluminum from the filiform if you didn't go deep enough with the 120 grit.

I taped off everywhere that I didn't want to touch with 120 grit as I didn't want to make unnecessary work for myself; I didn't want to buff out anything that didn't need it. So, only the filiform areas were hit with 120, 220, and 320. I initially sanded the entire casings with 400 only after I had taken care of the filiform areas to 320.

But, anyhoo...eventually they were completely polished, done and perfect looking. Removing filiform thoroughly the right way SUCKS. Did I mention removing filiform sucks? If I didn't, then I just want to say that removing filiform sucks. Sucks bad.

I'm leaving them exposed natural polished aluminum (the same as polishing aluminum rims...no clear coat). That way, any natural oxidation will be easily removed with aluminum polish. The filiform creates deep pits where it spiders under the clearcoat. With no clearcoat, the filiform shouldn't form. Just regular old fashioned aluminum oxidation...which is simple to remove and maintain. They have held up PERFECTLY with no clearcoat, and I've not re-polished them (or done ANYTHING to them) since I reinstalled them last year.

After sealing them, I surrounded the joint with 1/4" chrome trim (the same manufacturer "Cowles Products" as the chrome on the beltline, just thinner). Airstream REALLY liked the trim as it really finishes the lights, and were toying with the idea of incorporating it. I doubt if they will though, as it requires a keen eye and attention to detail to install it straight, true, proper, and competently. If you just slapped it on it would look like hell. I'll try to take a picture of the trim as well.

Here are some pics after I (and my loving girlfriend) polished the assemblies until we had no skin left on our fingers:

This is the ONLY way to fix the taillights and expect them to not turn back into a filiformed mess. Don't clearcoat them...when they get a tiny bit dull (mine haven't yet whatsoever after a year) just wipe them with some aluminum polish for about 3 minutes. Back to perfection. But getting there sucks. Did I mention removing filiform sucks? It sucks. But, once it's gone, it's not hard to maintain the aluminum. Just a quick wipe here and there. Simple and easy.

Jeff
absolutely hilarious entry, but let me ask...did you have to do much sanding?
Wingman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #167
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Avondale Estates , Georgia
I am #49!

finally had a chance to get out between the summer storms here in GA and verify my #.
I am #49 of the 19-foot 75th Anniversary Winnicks.

lapple001
Avondale Estates GA

Andy&Sue Apple

Toyota Tundra 5.7L
lapple001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #168
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Oakland , California
Are Any Currently Available?

Does anyone know of a currently available Winick 75th Custom?
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #169
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Avondale Estates , Georgia
I am thinking of selling, trying to find the time or place and the replacement!
After 4-5 years of great times in the Winker, maybe a change is in the cards
- we've got an eye on the Flying Cloud 25'
lapple001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #170
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Oakland , California
Please give me a call on my cell: 510-816-0806. Thanks
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #171
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Rumour was true... we were looking to sell our Winick and thought we would 'upgrade' we to a 23FB.

In the end after much thought and deliberation we decided this was not such a good idea. Going 'bigger' really only gave us a full size bedroom area. We would lose lots of counter top (ie flat surfaces), our couch during the day, the openness and most importantly the style that we love in the Winick. Besides longer trailers can be a pain at many campgrounds we love!

So we are happy to report that we will be keep on lovin our Winick! We have a few modifications we are looking to do to keep us busy.

Kate is also busy now looking instead to 'upgrade' our teardrop trailer instead, with a Serro Scotty Sportsman that we are going to rebuild 'Hackercraft' style (ie think high end boat finishes) once we find a suitable trailer (likely a 1977 model). Going to look at one tonight!

Headed back to our favorite place in a few days!

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
[QUOTE=campadk;1331043
Headed back to our favorite place in a few days!
[/QUOTE]

David, Jane (DWR Bambi) and I reflect fondly on our sunset boat ride with you and Katie a couple of summers ago. We hope to be up that way in a few weeks ourselves. We will look you up.

--Dave
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #173
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
David, Jane (DWR Bambi) and I reflect fondly on our sunset boat ride with you and Katie a couple of summers ago. We hope to be up that way in a few weeks ourselves. We will look you up.

--Dave
Awesome! We head back to Fish Creek on Sunday for 2 weeks. Will be back again in later September and Columbus Day weekend.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Glad to hear you're keeping the 75th. It's really a very cleverly optimized floorplan.

We also were smitten by the 23FB, but the lack of a couch and tiny galley convinced us otherwise. Some want that bedroom, but we wanted the openness.

Tom
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #175
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Glad to hear you're keeping the 75th. It's really a very cleverly optimized floorplan.

We also were smitten by the 23FB, but the lack of a couch and tiny galley convinced us otherwise. Some want that bedroom, but we wanted the openness.

Tom
Yup the 23FB gallery is much smaller than ours!

Personally I think Airstream needs to hire some new designers to overhaul their finishes and decore. We have seen many SOBs that have a much warmer/inviting feel then new Airstreams. Current A/S models are pretty blah considering the price tag!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #176
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2021 23' Globetrotter
Aurora , Colorado
Winick on Blue Beret Cover

Notice Winick #01 in the Wagon Wheel on the cover of the November 2013 Blue Beret. The Maple Leaf Trail Caravan was our fourth in Bambi75, 52 nights straight in the Winick. Have any other Winicks participated in WBCCI national caravans?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB1311Cover_490x400.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	199063  
Bambi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #177
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Dallas , Oregon
David Winick 19ft Bambi

David (El Gitano),,,,,,I see that you own a David Winick Bambi....and live in Salem, OR.......John and I live in Dallas, Oregon.....and just bought ours, as Ed said, in March of this year.....Im toooo thinking sometime we should all get together that live close by, with our great little trailers......maybe at MY HOUSE...we have space to park them....Roz

You can send me a private message if you'd like to get in touch.
rozhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
We just bought number 28 from a couple in South Carolina. They were the second owners. We are so excited. It does have a couple of dents, one noticeable in the back, but we don't care! It's like a door ding, you get over it after the first one.
Because the cabinet glass slides so easily, unfortunately, the previous owners put velcro straps on the wood to hold them in. We are going to try carefully removing them, but even with it, we think it's the best looking Airstream model going.
Hudsoncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Did you pick it up yet Bennett? How was the towing?

Congrats again. Hope you can get all that stuff off! They sure went nuts with it!

Hairspray can soften glue without harming the finish I gather.

You'll have to take her out and head north west to the Adirondacks next summer!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #180
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk View Post
Did you pick it up yet Bennett? How was the towing? Congrats again. Hope you can get all that stuff off! They sure went nuts with it! Hairspray can soften glue without harming the finish I gather. You'll have to take her out and head north west to the Adirondacks next summer!
Yes, picked it up last Thursday. No problem towing at all. Luckily we missed some snow that hit the Hudson Valley the day after we arrived.
I actually emailed David Winick with a couple of pictures to see if he had recommendations for removing the Velcro without damaging the finish.
Hudsoncamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi, 75th anniversary bambi