Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #121
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk View Post
Do you have a photo of your awning? That is on my To Do List. We also want to do strips, might pick more 'Adirondack colors mind you... not sure. The blue is probably pretty sweet!
Found a couple more pics that show the awning...

ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Wow! Awesome post. Was expect maybe one photo lol.

I am truly attached to our Winick (and our teardrop as well). We are only 'contemplating' a 23FB pre season. Once we go to pick up the 40 Winker I am sure Kate will change her mind

We actually only looked at the 23FB because I went to the local dealer to buy an Airstream hat since Airstream charges $24 for the hat and a whooping $22 to ship it! lol. It's a promotional item guys, help us help YOU promote the Airstream brand . So we go in to buy a hat they didn't have and ended up looking at another Airstream ha ha.

Anyways back on topic! Love the SSR / Winick combo!! Looks fantastic.

Airstream needs to give you some kind of kickback or whatever for all the branding you are doing!

What is the towing capacity on the SSR? Did you do anything special to allow towing the A/S?

I need to get some of that trim for the bottom of our propane tank cover. Can't understand why Airstream designed it so you have metal on metal rubbing. Had to repair the resultant rust caused by this design flaw.

I'll Have to read your post again later when I have more than 5 minutes lol.

Good on mom for making the curtains. Kate made some tie back straps for ours that have bear shaped buttons for the Adirondack match lol. Fancy pillows too I see!

Keep us posted on all you mods!

I could post photos of the duct tape I used to assist in keeping the mice out ha ha!

Cheers

Dave

campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #123

1968 22' Safari
Got my lettering all centered and mounted over the wheelwells, along with a thin blue pinstripe along the wheelwell molding...

And...got my Michelin XPS Rib tires in, modified by DiamondBack tires with a wide whitewall and dual bluelines...they look amazing! Can't wait to mount them on my blue rims with the stainless baby moons and trim rings...

WooHoo!!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #124

1968 22' Safari
Finally got my tires and rims installed!!! WooHoo...it's been alot of work.

With the damn humidity down here in Louisiana that Rustoleum Sail Blue paint (which I LOVE the color of) never dried correctly on my rims. I spent 8 hours just STRIPPING them, sanding them, and prepping/priming them for repaint (the first of TWO repaints). I repainted them, again, with the Rustoleum-thinking it was possibly something wrong with the cans of paint that I used. The Rustoleum just wouldn't dry properly...spiderwebs would appear after about 3 days. Usually spiderwebs are an indication of too thick paint, but that was not the case...ESPECIALLY not the 2nd time I painted them. I purposely left the coats thin, followed all proper directions for coating/recoating...EXCEPT the humidity. You just can't escape it down here.

Anyway, the SECOND time I painted them, the damn Rustoleum did the same thing. After a few days, spiderwebs appeared. Even with thin coats...the paint was just a gummy mess. So, I had to spend ANOTHER 8 hours stripping them with Aircraft stripper, which turned the Rustoleum into a thick goo...the paint didn't just lift as is common with chemical stripper. So, the next step was to use steel wool soaked in paint thinner and/or stripper (with gloves of course) and rub. And rub. And rub. And rub some more. And wonder if you have any skin on your finger tips. And rub. Then, after that, sand the entire rims smooth and prime them...

So, I had to paint them a third time. This time, I used Dupli-Color ceramic engine enamel, in regular Ford Blue with no clear coat (I didn't use clear the previous two times either). The Dupli-Color Ford Blue is similar to the Rustoleum Sail Blue, but it has an itty bitty tinge of a slight yellow hue to it. The Rustoleum has more of a true ever-so-slight purply-blue tint to it. The Rustoleum matches my pinstripes and Airstream logos perfectly...the Dupli-Color Ford Blue is just a tiny bit darker and as I stated a tiny tiny bit yellower. The Duplicolor doesn't cover as thick or as even as the Rustoleum, and it doesn't create the beautiful smooth deep-glass finish right out of the can that the Rustoleum does, but it DRIES. I just couldn't get the Rustoleum to dry down here in this humidity...the Dupli-Color was close enough in color, and it dried hard and quick. I mildly hand-polished them, and had my tires installed and balanced.

I installed them tonight. I love the way they look. I am REALLY happy. The tires, again are Michelin XPS Ribs in a 225/75/16, customized by DiamondBack Tires with a 1.5" whitewall and dual blue lines. The blue lines are the exact same color as my pinstripes (and the Rustoleum Sail Blue, sadly). The stripes on the tires take away some of the HUGENESS of these tires.

The trim rings are stainless steel, ribbed. The hubcaps are PhoenixUSA 1309SS also in stainless steel. They fit the 16" Dexstar rims with ease...no denting, no forcing. I also installed Centramatics from Andy while I was at it.

Here are some pics of the rims and tires. Talk about POP!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Does any one know someone else who wants a David Winick 75th, anniversary model ?? If so call 501-944-6817
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
David Winick #7 and Another Unit For Sale

Ran across 2 David Winick 75th Anniversary units available for sale for anyone interested.

LUCKY #7 has never been used. $49,400 in Winters, CA (listed with RV Trader Jan 24, 2013)
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/AIRS...le&BAC-Oodle=&

A used 7TH listed for $46,500 in Grass Valley, CA (listed on Air Stream Classifieds Jan/Feb 2013)
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...=18058&cat=all

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #127
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
You too can own one of these rare David Winick Bambi's!

Found #16 for sale, asking $50K!

Jonesboro, Arkansas

2007 David Winick 19' - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
40 Winker at Night

It's been a while since I posted any more 'Winker' photos. So here is one for now. Taken at Verona Beach State Park outside of Syracuse NY last weekend...

On another note...

Had a little issue with our Ventline vent cover disappearing off the roof (the vent above the kitchen table. Kate went to open it, and it had disappeared! Not sure when. Apparently this is a VERY common problem on all trailers, not just the Winick. I found that the nearby RV dealer had a whole row dedicated to replacement covers for these! Had at least 50 of them at Alpin Haus!! The plastic hing eventually gives out and then the cover is free to fly off at will. Considering our trailer spends more than half the time indoors, I'm surprised it only lasted 5 years. Best to have an extra one on hand just in case! Better yet, get up on your Bambi roof and check yours out before its too late! Shameful the RV industry still uses these fragile vent covers after all these years.

Note: These covers coming in a boat load of minor design changes (all still very bad). The correct cover available from Ventline, Camco and others for the Winck Bambi is the 40152. Here is a link to the correct one with the cheapo pastic hing... Amazon.com: Camco 40152 RV White Polypropylene Vent Lid for Metal Vent - Jensen (since 2004): Automotive . I gather this must be HUGE business as even our local Canadian Tire store of all places sells a bunch of them!

Carry a spare, and keep and eye on your vent and you should be fine! I would also note that we always tie the vent handle to secure it. Once we noticed the vent was wide open due to the wind blowing it open!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #129
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
On another note...

Had a little issue with our Ventline vent cover disappearing off the roof (the vent above the kitchen table.
Dave - Do you happen to know if our Winicks have power at the front vent location? I just started to consider adding another fan there and neither my local dealer or Airstream know whether it's wired or not. Seems they'd know more about an '07 Bambi than they do.
We'd like a fan that can be used when raining, and are considering the Maxxair Deluxe, which has some nice benefits and is quite low profile as well.
Thanks, Ed
Winick Custom #6
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #130

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7trx View Post
Dave - Do you happen to know if our Winicks have power at the front vent location? I just started to consider adding another fan there and neither my local dealer or Airstream know whether it's wired or not. Seems they'd know more about an '07 Bambi than they do.
We'd like a fan that can be used when raining, and are considering the Maxxair Deluxe, which has some nice benefits and is quite low profile as well.
Thanks, Ed
Winick Custom #6
Hi Ed...

I have the prototype trailer, and it absolutely was wired in both vents for power. I actually added another fan last year, but I added it in the rear as mine came with a fan up front. However, it is strange but all the 75th's I've seen sold in the US have the powered fan in the front, vs. the ones I've seen from Canada that have the fan in the rear. I bet there was no rhyme or reason to it and Airstream just put them wherever they felt like it...it is probably coincidence that ones from up north had the fans in the opposite position. I'd be willing to bet with 99% certainty that all the trailers are wired the same; i.e., the wiring should be there for the fan at either vent.

Fantastic actually offers a gray fan for Airstreams; this is what I went with vs. the horrible yellow-y white that came in my trailer. Fantastic was nice enough to send me an entire inside gray kit for FREE for my existing original fan to match the new gray one that I bought. Their company has quite possibly the best customer service I have EVER come across.

The amount of air movement with both fans moving is unreal. When laying in bed, with the only the window next to the bed opened just at the first support notch, you can aim the aluminum blinds to act as an airflow adjuster so that all the air sucked in by two fans on high speed blows right over you. Even last summer in 90+ degree heat and 100% humidity at night sleeping in a rest area the two fans kept us cool enough to sleep comfortably...they really suck a LOT of air right over you. Very highly recommended to go with the two fans.

Hope this helps!
Jeff
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We had to disassemble the whole vent from the inside to replace the missing vent cover. Did not see any signs of wiring up there. I wouldn't expect there would be actually as the trailer is configured for one fantastic fan at the back already. It was mentioned to me that an option would be to add a maxxair vent cover which would prevent rain from getting in even if the current vent cover is open, and you still get the air flow.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #132
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the info on the Fantastic fan Jeff!

You mentioned 75th up north in Canada.

Do you know of any other owners who purchased a Winick in Canada besides us? Haven't heard of any ourselves.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

I haven't seen another Winick in person, so can't verify any fan locations, but I know for certain my Winick was delivered new by a dealer on Colorado and my fan is in the rear. We just got back from a long weekend in ours, so haven't had a chance to pull out the front vent interior to see if there is any electrical in that location.
I did just notice something in Dave's photos however that I've never noticed before - two sets of low mounted running lights front and rear. Are there many others with that lighting configuration?
I just removed my four reflectors at the lower front and rear and installed shave head rivets in all the screw locations. Quite a coincidence that the two screws holding the reflectors on line up very nicely with rivets in the body just above, so they look like they belong there. Just before removing those reflectors I installed the louvered vents to replace the plastic fridge vents, and that's a very nice upgrade that I'd recommend.
Here are some images of those two recent projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	186698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00569.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	186699  

Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #134
1 Rivet Member

Salem , Oregon
David Winick #16

Hi, we just purchased #16 from Boyd Freemman.

Thanks, David Bishop (El Gitano)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	186759  
* 2007 International Custom David Winick #16 *
El Gitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #135
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm thinking that the extra set of running lights has to do with the fact that our Winick is certified both in the US and Canada. We must need lights up higher or something to see over the fog? lol
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #136
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I should mention that the 40153 vent cover also works. The one we just installed is a 40153 actually which we bought for $14 at an RV dealer. Here it is for reference... Camco 40153 Plastic Jensen Vent Lid : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the update David and congrats on #16! I've added you to the registry.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Just noticed kd7trx...

You have a Bambi badge on the road side of your Winick. Ours is on the back...

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Lucky #7 is for Sale

For sale for $49,500 in Sacramento, CA. Listed about a month ago..

75th anniversary bambi airstream for sale - Yakaz For sale
Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Just noticed kd7trx...

You have a Bambi badge on the road side of your Winick. Ours is on the back...
Our #6 has three Bambi badges, both sides and rear. I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo or two that show Bambi badges on other Customs, but it seems the majority don't have any.
We did not buy ours new, so it's possible the original selling dealer or first owner installed them. With the Custom being a tribute to an earlier era, I personally favor the lack of badges. That's one of the reasons I removed the reflectors, "Less is More" is my motto. I've also removed every decal and sticker, except for the metal tag below the water tank filler. Since the above photo was taken, I also removed the sticker on that water door that says you could get sick and die if you put anything in there but potable water. Duh!

Tags
2007 bambi, 75th anniversary bambi