Old 09-22-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Question Crooked window/panel in 2005 Bambi?

Well folks, after you all gave me great advice on what to look for in my "inspection" prior to purchase, I came across a strange one. Take a look at the attached picture and you will see that the window, or rather maybe the window paneling in the 19" Bambi CCD we are looking to buy is crooked. From the outside, the window looks fine, from the bathroom; you can see that the seam (highlighted) of the paneling is not parallel to the window frame.

What do you guys think - The dealer doesn't have the expertise to fix this one. Should I still buy it and take it to the factory service center for repair (if they warranty it) or should I just wait and order / look for another 19" CCD and hope the build quality is better?

I'm not sure what is all involved in this type of "cosmetic" repair, but it looks like removing the paneling in the bathroom and re-installing new one.

I'm at a loss. I want to sign the papers and take her home, but dont want to rush and realize this "cosmetic" quark will drive me crazy each time I see it.

What do ya'll think?

Hope you all can let me know soon - I'm currently overseas, but plan to pick her up this Saturday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Window.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	8823  

Old 09-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Craftsman

It doesn't look like the trim, because the gasket looks even. and the spacing between the windows looks even. I would bet that it's the interior skin. Measure up from the sink base on either side of the window and I think you'll come up with different measurments. If it is the skin,I don't think anything can be done about it short of tearing up the trailer to replace it. If its the window,which I doubt becaue I would imagine that they use a template to cut them out. That would be a can of worms of a different color.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, the more I look at it, it appears that the inner skin is all that is effected. The window itself looks squarely installed. I might still pass on this coach since it would be a PITA to rip out part of the inside to get that skin off or simply add another sheet over it which seems to be the Airstream preferred repair for outside skin fixes (which might also apply to inside skin fixes on a CCD).

I will share this, when I had the issue with the Safari, Airstream really worked with us, they took the dinette seats out and put new cloth on them. One of the problems with taking a unit a part is that a lot of times, it doesn't go back together or more importantly, stay together. In our case we have a dinette seat that is detaching itself from the wall since the screw can no longer bite into the skin it was once attached to. It can be fixed and will be, but just to point out that sometimes when it's taken apart, it could need to be put back together a few times.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
I agree with the above posts. Its definately a factory workmanship detail with the interior skin. Irrespective of the $ amount involved for any new rig, the finish quality should be consistent and/or perfect. Either pass on this unit or negotiate a substancial discount that will bring a smile to you each time you view it. Regardless of your decision, some sort of window treatment will mask it in the end probably making it a non-issue. But knowing that it's there is an insult to the integrity of the buyer.

Ed
Old 09-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb They all might be this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
...look for another 19" CCD and hope the build quality is better?
This may not be a flaw or QC issue, just be how the compound interior curves align with the window...can somebody with a 19' CCD check theirs to see if it's the same way?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
This may not be a flaw or QC issue, just be how the compound interior curves align with the window...can somebody with a 19' CCD check theirs to see if it's the same way?

Shari
I agree with Shari, pending report from other owners. A way to check would be to lay a straightedge or straight stiff piece of cardboard across the edges and see if they line up.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Craftsman

I hate to say it but, whoever passes through these trailers doing their quality control checklist probably just thought that it would never be noticed. Which in itself is insulting to the buyer. If Airstream really wanted to stop this they would find a way to make the person or teams responsable for these examples of shoddy workmanship pay for their mistakes. I would think that they are paid to "do it right" not just do it. After awhile you just get tired of hearing the same old lame excuses of "we're working on it" or you know "quality is really important to us". I know everyone says how wonderful Airstream is about fixing the problems : my question would be how ( or why) are they getting out the door that way? Is it truly cheaper to fix it after they sell it? I think that Silvertwinkie is right. Would this be acceptable if it were any other major purchase? How about if your new house had the siding installed at an angle? Would you just put some shutters on to kind of make it look right?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There is no need. I have seen at least 4 CCDs, two of which were Bambis and none have had that window issue. Having been through an '03 and an '04 with some level of issue, I made it a point to look over the coaches very closely.

There is clearly a q/c issue with this coach. If you still have doubts, look at the other window in the picutre...all nice, square and trimmed correctly.

Even if the outer trim piece could be brought to the outmost edge of the mis-cut inner skin, the question remains, if the skin was cut that bad, perhaps there is a reason that trim piece is that far off. Maybe there is no metal or not a lot of sheetmetal to fix the window trim piece. Given the fact that this is a $40k coach approx, I can't say it would be something I'd want to deal with. What if that inner skin is too short, then what, rip out the inner skin and replace. Not something I'd care to deal with.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the posts....

I sent a note to Airstream factory service reps, asking them what they thought, if it was a warranty repair or not... the e-mail reply I recieved was "I think we can take the window cover out and cut some off the interior aluminum allowing the cover to sit straight. It looks like there is plenty of overlap on the cover to allow for this. This can be done under warranty for you."

Do you folks agree?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I sent you a private message (PM) with my thoughts.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
My guess is yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Thanks for the posts....

I sent a note to Airstream factory service reps, asking them what they thought, if it was a warranty repair or not... the e-mail reply I recieved was "I think we can take the window cover out and cut some off the interior aluminum allowing the cover to sit straight. It looks like there is plenty of overlap on the cover to allow for this. This can be done under warranty for you."

Do you folks agree?
My first thought when I looked at your photo was that the inside skin and consequently the trim bezel was the only problem. I think AS is right that there is plenty of overlap to fix this. The openings are cut at the factory with an aircraft router using a template. Looks like the template was not perfectly square. There is no structural implication in trimming a quarter-inch from the opening so long as the bezel overlaps it.

If the trailer is at Camper Clinic, then I would trust the opinion of Les. When I had a crooked door frame on my International, he did a terrific fix that could not be detected. He has been kicked upstairs since he did my work; I would simply get his word that he would supervise the fix.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Works for me...

but it is your money I have the trim rings off on my unit and the factory cut is very sloppy, so it should work. Maybe make it a condition of purchase? Fix it to your satisfaction or find you another unit.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Gosh, if that's all that's wrong with your unit, it looks pretty good to me. If you refuse it do you think they'd sell it cheap as a 'second' or 'scratch & dent' I'm just kidding of course, if it bothers you (and you certianly have every right to be picky at that price) then you certainly should hold out on accepting anything until you get this 'straightened out'!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
No go

I will not say for others, but little things like this has ALWAYS gotten to me. I know ---picky, picky, picky!! Items that are not level or square, fingerprints on walls in out of direct sight locations,etc, are to me an indication of the integrity of the workers performing the assigned tasks. If they can leave something like this where I can see it, what is in the areas I can not see? Now that I'm older & less refined they seem to annoy me even more. It is always a personal choice to accept what I would call "shoddy" work ethics, whatever it may be. Others may be more accepting of little items, saying that's just the way it is now days. I will say for us that when we purchased an 04', it OF COURSE it had problems, major problems. What we found & I think that I may have mentioned it previously, was that the A/S management team was great to work with in getting items made right. What we were told they would do, they did & more. I have now come to a much greater degree of confidence when dealing with them ( the management). What I can not figure out is how the workers, in such a small rural town & area, can possibly believe they have it made with such bad work ethics. One would think management would get tired of repeating Quality, Quality, the buyers EXPECT QUALITY. And who ever said they had Quality control ? That's the first place I'd look for changes!!!! Get it right the first time or get out! When I was at the factory ( picking up our reconstructed unit) I wanted to visit with the QC supervisior to just to get a feel, as to how the supervisior could accept such short comings of the QC unit. I was told the supervisior was out of town. Probably better for both of us. Anyway enough of this, I'm getting upset again & that's not good!!!!
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Top | Pricing HELP »