Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

The answer to your problem lies in the saying at the end of your letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
I will not say for others, but little things like this has ALWAYS gotten to me. I know ---picky, picky, picky!! Items that are not level or square, fingerprints on walls in out of direct sight locations,etc, are to me an indication of the integrity of the workers performing the assigned tasks. If they can leave something like this where I can see it, what is in the areas I can not see? Now that I'm older & less refined they seem to annoy me even more. It is always a personal choice to accept what I would call "shoddy" work ethics, whatever it may be. Others may be more accepting of little items, saying that's just the way it is now days. I will say for us that when we purchased an 04', it OF COURSE it had problems, major problems. What we found & I think that I may have mentioned it previously, was that the A/S management team was great to work with in getting items made right. What we were told they would do, they did & more. I have now come to a much greater degree of confidence when dealing with them ( the management). What I can not figure out is how the workers, in such a small rural town & area, can possibly believe they have it made with such bad work ethics. One would think management would get tired of repeating Quality, Quality, the buyers EXPECT QUALITY. And who ever said they had Quality control ? That's the first place I'd look for changes!!!! Get it right the first time or get out! When I was at the factory ( picking up our reconstructed unit) I wanted to visit with the QC supervisior to just to get a feel, as to how the supervisior could accept such short comings of the QC unit. I was told the supervisior was out of town. Probably better for both of us. Anyway enough of this, I'm getting upset again & that's not good!!!!
Best,

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike l.
Have to disagree with you about the other brands being worse. While the product may be more desireable the workmanship is in my opinon is some of the poorest in the industry. Have owned new Rv's of every shape and size over the years and my airstream had more problems than all the others COMBINED. pieman
It may have been a generalization (sp), however most of the units I've been in (SOB) have been pretty bad...worse than the Airstream line.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Look closer

After looking at your pic closely, I feel that it is NOT the aluminum wall panels that are crooked, but it is INDEED the trim around the window. Look closely at the attached pic and what I have circled in the middle. You can see that at the left end, there is a noticable gap between the trim and the actual window that has vanished by the time you get to the right side of the window, which is exactly mirroring what you see in the wall panel seams. Provided that the trim ring is totally removed and properly centered (and there is adequate trim to cover the old rivet holes, then there should be no issues with fixing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Window1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	8832  
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:12 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I sort of agree...but I have a strange feeling based on my personal exp that when things are installed like that, there is a reason for it. Not saying it is, but it could be that the inner skin was cut too short and the trim placed that way for a reason. Also I agree it all depends on how much skin is there to screw to...and if there is enough skin there to not only remount the trim, but also cover any existing holes made by the screws that held the trim piece that far out.

Seeing that the potential owner is out of the country right now, none of these can be answered until they get out there an get a look at it. I would not blindly take any sales persons word for it...heck and I'm not even from Missouri!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Jonathan-- I totally agree with your perception of the manufacturing industry with one exception. That being your statment concerning the cost of AS would be increased if their quality was as we would like. In a nutshell, I ask the question does it take longer to mount a dinette table to a wall level than off an inch. Does it take longer to mount a dinette base flat on the floor than it does on top of wireing harness and conduet, does it take longer to mount window trim rings level and paralell than off 1/2 inch, does it take longer to adjust wheel bearing preload than just runing the nuts down tight, does it take longer to run a screw completely in instead of half way. As you know and read the list goes on and on. Finally wouldn't it make more sence to spend the energy and expence they do correcting problems making them better to begin with. -----Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
It may have been a generalization (sp), however most of the units I've been in (SOB) have been pretty bad...worse than the Airstream line.
We have owned 2 sob's in the past 5 yrs. Both were finished better than our '04 A/S. Our Casita and most of the other Casita owners we know had no, AND I MEAN NO!, fit, finish, leak, or other detectable manufacturing errors. We bought their fully loaded, '02, top-of-the-line trailer at MSRP of $12500.-. Airstream could learn a lot from them. Their workforce is almost entirely from south of the border!! Go figure.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, I just noticed you had an '04 25' Safari. We have the same unit, I'd love for you to PM me you laundry list of items and we can compare notes.

Also, if you haven't posted anything to the '04 quality thread, please do so.

It can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=track

« - | Top | Pricing HELP »