Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
CPAP Usage

Anyone with a 16' 19' or 22' with a CPAP? Where do you set your unit at night? How do you power it?

Thanks
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
We have a 22FB Sport and both wife and I use Cpap machines. She set's her's on the little shelf beside the main bed. I often sleep on the converted dining table/bed. I place mine on the floor beneath the bed area. As for power we often are hooked to shore power so we just plug them in at the nearest AC power outlet. When on battery power only I have installed a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and installed outlets beneath the main bed and up behind the TV. When on battery only we both use the outlet beneath the main bed. They work very well.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am on my second CPAP with the trailer. The first worked on 12 volts and I just used a 12 volt cord I got from the CPAP manafacturer. I did have to replace the 12 volt socket that shorted out at 1 am one night. The current one works on 24 volts. I bought a 1000 watt inverter at O'Rileys auto parts and use that. I generally turn the water temperature and humidity down and hose heat off when using the inverter. Our batteries are often weak so I do carry a generator in case I have to charge the batteries. Between the 2 systems I feel better running it on the inverter even though it uses more current. At least I know the CPAP is getting the right voltage.

My plan is to put in a new converter and better batteries next spring. Will probably buy a "better" inverter at the time.

My trailer is a 25' with 2 batteries. With a small trailer and no generator I would consider getting a battery pack for the CPAP. Not sure what is out there but thinking a gel or lithium battery.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I purchased the Transcend mini-cpap for travel and the trailer. I also purchased the * hour battery pack to go with it. If I run it at night with the battery only then I will let it charge during the day. Oftentimes I will run it on 110v with the battery pack in case of power failure.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
New Hampton , Alaska
Re: CPAP Usage

We have a 2018 16’ and I use a Transcend Auto miniCPAP. While I am not totally happy with this machine it is perfect for our AS. This machine has a strap fixture on either side so my wife used two Comand Hooks on the wall (closet wall) and it hangs perfectly there all year. Good luck!

<><

Additionally I use a standard deep cycle when off grid and get 4 nights out of the battery (2nd year using)
BillingsBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I bought the 12v adapter for my CPAP and it runs fine on just the house battery at night and uses way less power than trying to run it off of AC and the Converter when not plugged into shore power. I did have to replace one of the USB plugs with a 12v power plug however. They don't install the power plugs at the factory anymore. I ordered one from West Marine.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I put my CPAP in the cabinet over the bed. Then, the hose hangs down just right from above and doesn't get in the way of anything during the night. Works well for me.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Bend , Oregon
We have a 16' and I use a CPAP. My CPAP and many others are designed to run 12v DC and have a converter in the AC power cord that converts it to 12vDC during normal operation. Of course check yours first to make sure before you hook it up. Going from 12v battery power into an inverter and then back into 12v with the manufacturers converter burns juice. There were 2 double usb ports by the bed and I just swapped one of them out with a 12v jack, cigarette lighter style, from the auto parts store. Even when we are on shore power I use the 12v jack. Shortly after getting our 16' I put in 2 6v golf cart batteries and led bulbs. We can go for days.

Now where I put my CPAP changes. Depending on the weather my wife and I change sides of the bed. When I am on the window side I put it in the overhead bin. I have thought of adding a shelf but havn't done it yet. When I am sleeping on the exit side of the bed I put it on the floor under the bed, in front of the fuse panel.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #9
WDCgator

2018 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
[QUOTE=camperguy58;2041649]Anyone with a 16' 19' or 22' with a CPAP? Where do you set your unit at night? How do you power it?

Mine fits nicely at the end of the bed of the 16' and there is an ac plug right there.
wdcgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
USB plugs give 5 volts, do they not? Is the DC wiring in the Airstream still at 12v, and stepped down to 5v in the USB plug itself? So that one can just remove the USB fitting and wire in an old style cigarette lighter jack and have 12 volts on it?
Dan P G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P G View Post
Is the DC wiring in the Airstream still at 12v, and stepped down to 5v in the USB plug itself?
Yes

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
WDCgator

2018 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
I just ordered the same machine. What dont you like about it? Please...
wdcgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
Cpap

We have a 19' and I put my CPAP in either of the cupboards over the bed. For my CPAP I bought the 12V DC power supply from the CPAP company. I leave that power cord set up all the time, so even when I'm plugged into shore power, I run it off the DC port. Works well and is easy.
RyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
My wife uses a CPAP, and I put the unit in one of the cabinets over the bed when we have 120v, and I place it on thecountertop next to the sink, and plug it into the 12v outlet there, when we don't have 120v. I got a 12v adapter for it, so we can use it with either power source.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P G View Post
USB plugs give 5 volts, do they not? Is the DC wiring in the Airstream still at 12v, and stepped down to 5v in the USB plug itself? So that one can just remove the USB fitting and wire in an old style cigarette lighter jack and have 12 volts on it?

Yes USB plugs are 5v but vary in amperage. The Airstream DC is wired at 12v and then the step down happens in the USB plug itself. On the 16ft the back of the plugs are in the rear of the closet and they are attached by a simple screw down collar and have the standard flat spade connectors on them. There is a wood panel held in place with Phillips screws that allows you to access them. You might be able to reach up from the hinged water heater cover in the closet but I would have to go look to double check.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Cpap

We generally are going to camp where we have access to shore power. But, I carry a small 12 volt battery anyway to fill tires, etc. so if we find ourselves in the "boonies" I'll use that battery along with a 12 volt converter to power my CPAP. I leave the battery on the floor next to the bed. The CPAP fits well into the cubby located along side of the bead. Works great
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
Yes USB plugs are 5v but vary in amperage. The Airstream DC is wired at 12v and then the step down happens in the USB plug itself. On the 16ft the back of the plugs are in the rear of the closet and they are attached by a simple screw down collar and have the standard flat spade connectors on them. There is a wood panel held in place with Phillips screws that allows you to access them. You might be able to reach up from the hinged water heater cover in the closet but I would have to go look to double check.

Thanks! I guess the only other question is, have they switched to a lighter gauge wire to the USB fitting since the wattage is presumably pretty limited, and would that wiring be adequate to support the draw of a 12v CPAP machine if one chooses to run the heater/humidifier?
Dan P G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
The wires going to the USB are too small a gauge for anything else. The Cig Plug will come with correct size wire to use, so remove the small wire and replace with the larger wires. Reach behind and you will feel a large plastic nut holding the USB in place. Unscrew that and pull the USB out the front. They leave plenty of extra at the factory so it is a fairly easy job. I would use crimp connectors, not wire nuts as they can come loose from the vibration in a moving vehicle.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Just sharing. I have a ResMed S9. When traveling, I don’t use the water chamber or heated hose, except in the winter when I’m at home and sick. Bottom line: the AC adapter adapts down to 12vdc. In the Airstream, between the twin beds, we added a 12vdc receptacle and I purchased a 12v cable made for my CPAP. Now, if power goes out in the trailer park, or if we overnight at Walmart, I just need to turn the receptacle on and plug in the 12vdc adapter. We have factory solar, so the next morning, the system starts recharging the house batteries. I leave the 12v CPAP cable in my trailer for this reason. Sleep tight...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
BTW, slightly off-topic. I use a SoClean2 at home. I LOVE IT. I was never diligent about cleaning and I’d go 3 weeks before my nose would be running and I started getting swollen glands and feeling like I was starting to get sick. Then I would clean my CPAP and symptoms would resolve within a day. So, I bought the SoClean. Fixed. Now, every 3 weeks or so, I’ll remove the nasal pillows (I use the OPUS mask), wash the pillows and headgear tubing and all stays great. Why am I rambling? I’ve been thinking about adding a cleaning system for my travel bag (to use in the AS). Happened across the Virtuclean ... it’s even smaller than the SoClean Travel version ... not sure if I’m going to get one or not but I’m thinking about it... I should probably at least start with disinfectant wipes. Anyways ... Niteynight ...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote