Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Couldn't part with our Bambi.

After jumping in the MB Sprinter Van conversion craze, we got rid of the Hummer H2 SUT & Ford F250 (both gas monsters & both overkill for a single axle). We planned & agonized over separating with Bambi..... turns out, the converted fully independent Sprinter with proper towing equipment is more than capable for our once or twice a year road (mostly flat) trips with the grandkids. Without the kids, the Sprinter is perfect for Rose & myself. We even drive through some rough trails & searched for great remote camping spots. Tioga Pass was awesome last summer, could not have enough of the snowy montains in the middle of summer & sceneries to drool over, went there twice.
I'd be dramatic, we miss the Bambi when we see other folks on the freeways & camps. We unconsciously or purposely were not aggressive in putting Bambi in the market last year (as we planned). I am just happy to see her in the driveway, shiny and safe from potential buyers. Did I say, I had 3 people stopped by to ask if I'd sell her (on the average per year)?
I thought keeping Bambi towed by a MB Sprinter is happy enough, no it isn't. Our daily driver 5 series, just any other Bimmers we had decided to be useless & became another money pit. Wife said, "get rid of it". I took it to Carmax & accepted whatever they offered. All along, I've been wondering how to justify getting an off-road vehicle again (because I missed the two previous 4x4 Tow Trucks).
Well, I just picked up a 2018 TRD Off-Road 4-Runner up in Utah. Drove around, looking for snowy trails for fun over the Thanksgiving week. I just installed a brake controller and ready to tow Bambi with it in springtime, keeping in mind.... just like the MB Sprinter, the towing capability is not as great as the Ford F250, nor the H2 SUT.
Merry Christmas everyone!

ReySFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We had a similar experience. Our first Airstream was a 2007 19' Bambi. Then in 2015 we purchased a 23FB. The plan was to sell the Bambi, but we had so many great memories that we have yet to put it on the market. We park it in our backyard "Airstream Park" during the summer and take turns sleeping in it.

Of course, we now have to store two trailers for the winter but do not feel the urgency to part with the Bambi yet.

So I rationalize the situation by saying that the Bambi is a "camping" trailer and the 23FB (which we also really like) is a "travel" trailer.

this is a high-class problem.

Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
For us it was a Scamp 13 that came first. Then after twelve years came the 25FB Flying Cloud. Going out with the Scamp is a whole other experience. So we still have the Scamp. Even bought it a new axle last year.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
We had a similar experience. Our first Airstream was a 2007 19' Bambi. Then in 2015 we purchased a 23FB. The plan was to sell the Bambi, but we had so many great memories that we have yet to put it on the market. We park it in our backyard "Airstream Park" during the summer and take turns sleeping in it.

Of course, we now have to store two trailers for the winter but do not feel the urgency to part with the Bambi yet.

So I rationalize the situation by saying that the Bambi is a "camping" trailer and the 23FB (which we also really like) is a "travel" trailer.

this is a high-class problem.
great pride of ownership, feeling classy indeed.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
For us it was a Scamp 13 that came first. Then after twelve years came the 25FB Flying Cloud. Going out with the Scamp is a whole other experience. So we still have the Scamp. Even bought it a new axle last year.
certain stuff get attached to us, or the the other way... become part of the family because of the fun memories.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I understand completely bonding with this particular type of inanimate object.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
SANTA MARIA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Same thing, we had a 13 foot Burro and now also a Bambi - love these little trailers!

Golden Central Coast of California
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote