Old 02-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Blowouts in any form and on any trailer (or a tow vehicle for that matter) is never a "fun" experience... We do what we can to avoid them, of course, but they happen nonetheless. It doesn't matter how many axels you have. Granted, you have more flexibility on when and how to change the tire, but the fact remains that blows can happen to anyone and the tire has to be changed.

We tow a 19' with a 2016 Tacoma (before that a 2007 Tacoma, both with tow packages). We've had one blowout (yup, Marathons) and have never used Marathons since. The blowout was certainly nothing we wished for but the Bambi handled well in the situation, and we were able to stop safely and change the tire at the side of the road...and were back on the road in about an hour.

If you do end up with a single axle, consider getting a tire pressure monitor system for your rig. We did and it has saved our bacon a few times...just recently we were on I-10 and it alarmed...we were losing pressure fast (later found that we had a puncture from road debris of some kind)...with the warning from the TPMs we were able to stop and deal with it before the tire shredded. Had we not known we were losing tire pressure on that tire it would have shredded with potential wheel well and skin damage. TPMs are not going to prevent blowouts that are instant failures with no time to warn anybody of anything, but issues from low tire pressure, etc they help us mitigate the situation. (Ours are PressurePros, but there are a number of brands to chose from with different features.)

We are happy with the 19' (2006)... we sometimes look at the 23s and yearn a bit, but it's not because it has dual axles...it's the layout that draws us.

Good luck with your decision!

AirForums #21900 . Prez & Membership Chair, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Hi all, I've asked on a number of the tire threads without reply! Maybe here? Will the 16" Michelins fit on the 2017 22 FB without lift or mod to the wheel wheel? I believe they do on the 19 but have not heard about the 22. Thanks!

Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Research is GOOD!

As you can see, you'll get much advice from this forum. At no time should you hit the road without inspection of ALL systems - NEVER. I am sure you can get better tires than what comes standard via the factory issue. However, your biggest concern will be road hazards as you journey. Debris from TRUCK TIRES ("Road Alligators") is very dangerous. Wind from passing BIG trucks is another; as a "Newbie" be prepared for this. For two, the 22' is nice - however, the dual axel 23' is what I would consider. Furthermore, if you do go with the 22' Sport, the 2009 (or newer) has a better side seating layout! Much easier for people to move through the galley. Lesson learned on our 22'!! With many of the Airsteam models, you don't NEED a Beast for towing. You DO need the proper tow hitch and sway control setup. I tow the 22' and 34' with a 5.7L Tundra Limited; others feel better with a "Beast" (any brand)! The majority will tell you this: Safe STOPPING is your main concern.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
We have two axles, but also use a tire pressure monitor system. We pay close attention to our tires, as I'm sure all of these contributors do, also. I think whatever choice you make will be fine since you are so conscientious.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Single Axle Blow Out

I believe the video shows a case of overreacting.
We have a 20FB that had a blowout last year driving about 50 mph at the time. Nothing about it was or felt life-threatening, just pulled over.
The worst part was finding the tool to remove the nut covers. Just make sure you know where every tool you need is.

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Tires are the most important consideration. Michelin has a better reputation than many others. Check your tire pressure and watch out for any sidewall damage. Keep your speed below 60. Watch out for pavement potholes. You'll be fine with a single axle.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
We've put about 49k miles and two sets of tires on our single axle with no incidents (knock on wood). A few other bennies of single. When replacing tires, you have only half or a third the number to buy. Rotation is much less hassle and the rotation pattern/sequence will always be correct. Then there's fewer brake pads to replace, rotors to turn. bearings to pack, etc.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We started out with (and still have) a 19' Bambi. First long trip out, had a blow out at 65 in the Imperial Valley Desert. Yes, damage to the underside and discharge valves, but no loss of control. I'm fixin' to leave on a 3-weeker, and have no concerns. Flats happen. We recently acquired a 23D, dual axle simply for space reasons on longer trips. Yep, we'll have an extra tire to run on in case of a blow out, but the same damage is likely. Frankly, I think there is a design flaw placing the discharge valves behind the tires, but, that's another discussion.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
Go with 23 flying cloud(double axle) worth it

Go with 23 flying cloud
dfgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi. I'm new and my wife and I are talking about buying an Airstream in the next year or two.

We're really focusing on finding the best balance between a tow vehicle and a trailer. We'd like to have a tow vehicle that's relatively fuel efficient when not towing, and nice to drive in general. With it's very low dry weight, as well as hitch weight, we've begun focusing on the 22FB Sport. The lower price doesn't hurt either. We feel like it offers quite possibly the most bang for your buck in the Airstream lineup.

But there is one thing that sticks out to me as a concern. A single axle. I've seen a lot of talk about tire blowouts and have even seen them in various youtube videos from Airstream owners. Obviously a tire blowout at highway speeds on a single axle is a nightmarish scenario. I'd feel much safer with a double axle trailer, but then that means a big ol vehicle to tow it, which we'd really like to avoid.

So, how warranted are my fears about the single axle of the 22FB Sport? Would changing out the tires dramatically reduce the possibilities of this ever happening? Hopefully the 2018 Sport models gets better tires off the line this year?

Curious to hear others thoughts on this. We do intend to travel a fair bit in this trailer, so before we embark on a 3,000 mile jaunt we'd like to feel safe with what we're towing.
I prefer the 23' Flying Cloud tandem axle for the added safety and stability.
The Ford F-150 is a great truck for this.
We tow ours with the F-250 or our Mercedes Benz 350 BlueTec diesel. We take the F-250 when we are boondocking for long trip hauling supplies and a generator. For Mountain driving I love my F-250
FYI Ford will be coming out with the F-150 diesel in the near future.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
Our 1968 Safari came with "skid" attached to the axle inboard of the tire so in the event of a flot the trailer settles on the skid holding it level. JBH
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
Blow out in 19'

Not that you can always tell, but I've been pretty lucky a few times sensing something was wrong. The two blowouts I've had, one towing our 19' Bambi, and we had a 16' Scamp before that, I felt/heard something funny before hand. A vibration and or noise, so I was tuned in when they blew. Both times I didn't have any issues loosing control, and neither of those times did I have an anti-sway device.

I had a very close call last fall towing my 19' boat and again, felt something funny and a vibration. Turned down the radio so I could really hear it, like the other times, trying to decide if it was something wrong with the car or the trailer or even rough payment in the road, and then pulled over on the side of the freeway. I did like someone else mentioned and did the touch test. Both tires were full and touched one and it was warm, touched the other and it was so hot I thought it would burn my hand, and the tread was uneven, it was delaminating. Talked to the guy at the tire store and he said it had aged out. It was about 8 years old and they are only good for 5 I think.

Back to the Airstream, when that tire blew on our trip up to Canada, I replaced both tires and moved the best one to the spare.

My tow vehicle is either my wife's Toyota 4Runner with a V6, or my Toyota Tacoma with a V6 and 6-speed manual transmission.
RyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Here is the lesson. Get the size of trailer, and layout, you want. Consider the comfort and livability of the related tow vehicle that fits your situation. Then, keep your speed down. Airstream suggests the highest tow speed of 60 MPH. There is a big difference of outcome when having a blowout at 60 versus 75 MPH. What is the big rush, anyway? Enjoy the scenery, chit chat with your travel companion during tedious sections of highway, let the other drivers pass you by with an attitude of glee.

If you have a blowout at 60 MPH, you are going to be all right. Some minor damage maybe, some time spent changing the tire maybe, but you will be fine. Follow the advice listed above regarding routine maintenance and pressure checks, but get the trailer that first tugged at your heart.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Get a proper the proper tow hitch and sway control setup.
balance the trailer for proper tongue weight
check the tires on the AS and tow vehicle each time you drive off

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote