Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
compare Sport 16 to our current trailer

In deciding whether to ditch our Forest River R-Pod 177 for a new Sport 16, I was wondering if the following annoyances are common to all travel trailers or if we can expect improvement with the AS.

1. Loud A/C- we currently have a roof mounted unit that seems to jolt the whole trailer when the compressor cycles on and off. It works great and cools wonderfully. But it jolts me out of a nap every time.

2. Loud furnace- This thing jolts us out of a sound sleep, even when wearing earplugs.

3. If there are other annoyances such as leaks or maintenance issues common to all trailers, or perhaps less common to Airstreams, please speak up.

The R-pod is very similar to the Sport 16 in size, weight, and floorplan. The R-pod has a slide-out kitchen that greatly enhances interior space, but the Sport 16 is wider overall and probably roomier, although we've yet to set foot in one.

Geesh, the little Sport sets me drooling like a hormonal teenager, and the wife goes on and on about that darn Xarelto TV commercial. I can realistically see us buying one by this spring.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
the components (A/C, furnace, etc) are all pretty much the same across all manufacturers.
There are pros and cons for your comparison, but all RV's and trailers are subject to their own unique (some common, some different) shortcomings.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Unfortunately, the AC and furnace in any Airstream are just standard RV types and won't be any quieter in the Sport than any other brand. I have a 2014 Flying Cloud 20, and can live with the noise from both the AC and the Furnace, but I guess I am not too sensitive, just thinking, oh good, heat (or cool).
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All of the components (refrigerator, a/c, furnace, water heater, etc.) are the same in all RV's. The thing you will notice most is the difference in quality build and construction. You will also notice less of that "trailer smell" due to off-gassing of adhesives and particle board. I owned a Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS before the Airstream. There is a world of difference in quality and reliability. The Forest River trailer went back to the dealer almost weekly. The Airstream has never been back.
Also, there is the sense of owning an American icon that only comes with an Airstream.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'll add this: I consider most SOBs as disposable. I am anal about maintenance and did get 22 years out of my old Prowler...but it was pretty much on it's way out. And that's with extraordinary maintenance/repair.

The AS still requires the same level of attention, but it is a lifetime trailer with heirloom hand down probability....high probability.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Some good replies, thanks much.

Dare I ask...SOB= standard oblong box??

Another question; we do most of our camping in fall/winter and lose alot of heat out the single pane windows. It would seem the big panoramic Sport windows would lose even more?

Which begs another question...are the Airstreams any better insulated than most SOB's?
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2012 23 footer. The air conditioner and the heat pump are pretty loud, the furnace not so much.

SOB = some other brand.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Skooter -

We have a sport 16 ... and simply love it. Heat loss out of the front panoramic window is minimal. The glass itself is legit, then there is a protective wrap glass/plexiglass around that. The panoramic window is beyond cool in an AS ... and in the small 16 with two bodies and a small dog, we are never cold winter camping. I don't know if it is better insulated than an RPod, but fit, finish, & quality is superior, no question.
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't know that Airstreams are insulated better. In my case, the Airstream is a little smaller and has less openings. Our Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS had 2 entry doors, a huge slide, 3 outside storage compartments, and lots of windows. Also, the belly wasn't enclosed with solid sheets of aluminum- it was some material that resembled a black tarp. That trailer was much more drafty and cold than the Airstream.
Why doesn't Airstream use spray foam insulation? Is it a cost consideration?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Orrrr....SOB = Square Old Box

Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I agree with ac and heat noise, but I just run the stove exhaust fan for even noise. The furnace alone would drive me nuts. I am a former T@b owner and I notice there are quite a few former owners that switched over to Airstream.

I am buttoned up for the winter now, but escaped into it the other day, just to check it out, look for any issues and have a nice little nap.

The 8' width all along is helpful.and well, an Airstream is just plain COOL.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote