Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
The following comments were made by Sean Woodruff of ProPride:

Hitch/Tongue Weight
The 3P parts weigh 195-200 lbs depending on the spring bars. The 228 your dealer mentioned is the shipping weight with all the spray in foam and boxes.

The hitch bar weighs 48# and that is carried by the tow vehicles.

The added tongue weight is approximately 150#. In a dead, non-distributed case that tongue weight is ALL added to the trailer.

Once you distribute the tongue weight to the tow vehicle with the weight distribution jacks you are dropping that weight carried by the trailer.

For example, 150# of hitch would be 20% of a 750# tongue weight. If you weighed the front axle of your tow vehicle and found the weight distribution added 200# to the front axle the same 20%, 40#, of that 200# came from the hitch weight. That leaves 110# of hitch on the trailer side of the equation.

Hopefully I haven't made that about as clear as mud.

When it comes to weights there are a lot of opinions out there. I don't believe, based on experience, that 100-150# over or under the ratings will ever be a problem or be noticeable.

Sean Woodruff's second comment is below:

I don't see a difference in the two scenarios you mention above. Gross VEHICLE Weight Rating is always the rating regardless of being hitched to the tow vehicle or not.

For example, if you load the Airstream to scaled weight of 4500# UNhitched, you can expect the scaled axle weights to be something LESS THAN 4500# when it is hitches because some of the weight will be distributed onto the tow vehicle. The weights do not go anywhere, they are just shifted to the axles of the tow vehicle.

Most of Sean Woodruff's third comment was:

I just read that thread and you already know the axle ratings. It is LOWER than GVWR. That is a bit surprising to me. Then again, some of the weight is on the tongue jack when your unhitches and some of it is on the tow vehicle when hitched.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
_

. , .
yep, mostly the same info rearranged.

the point is that trailer has VERY LITTLE capacity for the elements of life beyond your imagination...

so see the 3 suggestions in post #6 above.

then go camping...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
2 points to w7ts for the "briefs"!!!

thanks all for your input and advice. Seems the concensus of all is that a tad over is nothing to stress over. If the hitch is a bit less than we had calculated and some portion of that is shifted to the TVthe limits are not quite as tight. By cutting back a bit on water and putting some of the heavier stuff in the TV we should be fine. Seems like a lot of people do that anyhow (i hadn't realized that. I thought everything when in the trailer).

Now my little guy can safely take his tuxedo along for the ride (see photo). He heard that AS Rally's can be quite formal and he wanted to be stylish.

Your collective statements not to sweat a modest weight differential seems supported. I spoke with an insurance claims adjuster to find out how they view the issue of weight exceeding GVWR in a trailer accident claim. Would have expected that it would be a clear exclusion in the policy with some strict parameters (i.e., you exceed GVWR, we don't pay the claim). Surprisingly, there is NO exclusion of coverage according to him if you exceed the GVWR (i couldn't find one in the policy). Futher, he said in his 15 years in the industry he cannnot remember an accident caused by someone exceeding the GVWR (though there were lots of other exclusions and problems). So while i won't take that as a license to exceed the GVWR, his comments are consistent with the opinions express by all you more experienced folks. So thanks for the help. Appreciate your time and guidance.

Now, I'll go stress preparing my tax return. You guys give advice on that stuff too?

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
2 air.....thanks.

As a lawyer were not permitted to have imagination or personality, so that should free up more cargo capacity in the trailer.

We are going camping! 2 trips planned in April and hopefully lots more.

We upgraded our TV based on the information on this site, including your many threads, and guidance of our first AS guru Loudruff (thanks Larry!!). So we can safely store lots of doggie treats in the TV. Heavy stuff in the TV, a tad less water in the trailer, and a pair of pink flamingos just 'cause they looked so ...... and we'll comply with the GVWR commandment.

I've asked the dealer about the upgraded axle but won't really consider that until we see how the first year of streamin' (if as a newbie I may be so bold as to refer to our future Airstream camping experiences as "streamin") goes.

Thanks for your sage advice.

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Patti and Marty,
Great advice from W7TS and 2air and others, lots of experience and knowledge there. For sure, like 2air says, factory has to say you cannot exceed gvwr. And you have to start with knowing what your rig weighs for real, not theoretically. So, CAT scales. We weigh ours 2X/year, and it's interesting every time.

Our 25' has 3,000 pounds axles, a 6,300 pounds gvwr. 560 pounds net carrying capacity. Heck, we almost have that in the fridge! No, not really, but add the pantry, the fridge, and the liquor bottles and we're getting close. Who put those two heavy solar panels on the roof? These 6v batteries weigh how much more than the pair of 12v ones?

Therefore, we started, last summer, traveling with the trailer's two cargo compartments empty of all weight. Moved both laptops and their accoutrement to the truck. Moved extra clothes into a tote -- in the truck.

Result? Our rig weighs in at 6,300 pounds complete with full fresh water tank and hitched up.

We take a day twice a year and go through every tote, every storage bin, every drawer, and decide if this and that item are keepers or sleepers. Books go to the truck. Extra shoes go to the truck. Extra canned food? To the truck.

And a few things we jettison or store, don't take with us. So we end up with a truck and trailer with excess space for storage. The trailer can't stand the weight, and we don't want to fill the truck with junk that'll just get in our way.

A fun exercise, keeps us spare and clean.

Good luck!

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
right

You will learn the fine art of packing and culling! We load according to destination and what we will be doing. Most of the extra stuff is in the van. Food in the trailer. Water tank full, but extra bottled water in the van. Our next trip will be three weeks out and away from home. The challenge of packing is on!!!!!!!!!!!
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Marty....

Case closed......open upon appeal.

Don't sweat it, I Streamed for 18yrs without even knowing anyone who owned an Airstream.
Didn't wreck the trailer, hurt myself or co-pilot and managed to stay between the white lines.

....Sweet Streams,
Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Thanks all.

Sounds like a celebration catered by DreamSteamr with all that food and beverage would be a fun way to celebrate the conclusion.

We're up to 150 lbs based on AS conservative view (ignoring any weight transfer to the TV). With a 10% tranfser to the TV that is the 200 lb margin many of you were speaking about. But putting the tools, canned goods and folding table in the TV should solve it. In the end, the restriction is probably a blessing --- less stuff, less to worry about, more fun.

THANKS ALL!

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
_

. , .
herez another older thread on the cc-ccc issue with useful info words passed on from the motha'ship.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-ls-27795.html

1 last comment marty....

it IS important to respect the gvwr for the stream...

and a tiny bit OVER often becomes several 100 lbs over quickly.

richL full timed in a 30 footer for a while and weighed things often,

but still managed to be right at or near the axle rating.

the result was NEW axles after just 4-5 years vs the 20+ years many claim is normal.

it should be noted that FULL TIMING like that, may equal MORE that 20 years of a/s usage for most owners n trailers...
______

initially i had planned to post "it's not like the wheels will fall off" if you are a 100 lbs over...

but that's actually happened too....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ice-14498.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...ers-15310.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote