Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Can't open rolling tambour cabinet

It keeps getting stuck, driving me nuts! Any suggestions

Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

I would try some boeshield T-9 spray in the tracks. It's not oil, more of a waxy film. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22fbsport View Post
I would try some boeshield T-9 spray in the tracks. It's not oil, more of a waxy film. Good luck!
Only if you want to gum it up!

If anything...try Silicone spray. (but it's possible something in the rear of the cabinet is blocking the tambour door from rising and you might drive it around the block to see if it'll shift back out of the way.)
Old 04-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Knives and forks in an upright holder? Slide to the front and catch it on the curve? Don't put items in that are taller than the curve start from vertical.

Just a guess, that's what gets mine.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Clean the tracks well, then lubricate them with a little silicon spray.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I had one of those plastic bins jam one of my Tambor doors under the beds in the back. It was a pain to get it unstuck. A garden hose shoved in from the outside compartment pushed the bin against the tambor and jammed it.

I also had problems with this in the bathroom where a bottle would get in the way of the tracks and block the door from opening. I ended up putting a sheet metal guard around the scrolls to keep stuff out of there. Most of the side opening doors have a metal guard around them already.

Food grade silicone spray works well and it does not have solvents in it that smell like mineral spirits.

Perry
Old 04-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
The dealer told us they treat all tambour doors on new trailers with silicone lube as part of their pre-delivery prep. When we first looked at our 16 sport the doors were very stiff. Now they work fine.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurr68 View Post
It keeps getting stuck, driving me nuts! Any suggestions
What is the age of your trailer? I can't see it in your profile.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
My tambour under sink is vertical enclosed in can at rolled end, can not open far enough to reach behind, have tried to lift when opening, sprayed wd 40, it just stop after 4 in. I can not feel anything in back at end out side of can. Major job to remove drawer comp. at open end to explore further, have had lots of sug. tried all still no go, as to other tambour all work fine after spraying w/wd40, next time will use dry spay silicone [no residue].
Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Tambour doors in a 1976 Airstream especially the under cabinet tambour doors after 39 years can be a problem. The tracks can get clogged, backing material on tambour can peel and cause problems, the cabinets shift and cause tambour to bind and on and on. You can take them a part which can be a big job but may be the only solution to at least find our what the problem is, and maybe fix it. If I sound pessimistic, notice that I also have a 1976 31' sovereign. When I first got it in 2000 I tried everything including new tambour product. Nothing made them work like I wanted.The overhead tambour still works fine but they are made of a different type of material and shorter up and down runs and don't cause problems. I eventually replaced all of the kitchen and living area cabinet tambour doors with custom made Oak doors. Looks better and works great. Good luck.

Airstream Interior 2010.pdf
Old 04-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Tambour doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Tambour doors in a 1976 Airstream especially the under cabinet tambour doors after 39 years can be a problem. The tracks can get clogged, backing material on tambour can peel and cause problems, the cabinets shift and cause tambour to bind and on and on. You can take them a part which can be a big job but may be the only solution to at least find our what the problem is, and maybe fix it. If I sound pessimistic, notice that I also have a 1976 31' sovereign. When I first got it in 2000 I tried everything including new tambour product. Nothing made them work like I wanted.The overhead tambour still works fine but they are made of a different type of material and shorter up and down runs and don't cause problems. I eventually replaced all of the kitchen and living area cabinet tambour doors with custom made Oak doors. Looks better and works great. Good luck.

Attachment 235402
Very nice looking interior. What did you do with vinyl paper on bulk heads? Mine are peeling off and I like wood look. I'm trying to keep my AS as original as possible. I pur new 1n 1977 & haven't changed int. except drapes & carpet, added spice rack that was option from AS. Out side garbaged care free awning 2 yrs. ago went w/Zip-Dee only thing done out side. Bill
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Very nice looking interior. What did you do with vinyl paper on bulk heads? Mine are peeling off and I like wood look. I'm trying to keep my AS as original as possible. I pur new 1n 1977 & haven't changed int. except drapes & carpet, added spice rack that was option from AS. Out side garbaged care free awning 2 yrs. ago went w/Zip-Dee only thing done out side. Bill
The original vinyl if still in place can be painted with a good latex paint. You can also cover over the flat surfaces with 1/8" plywood veneer in a wood grain of your choice tp get the wood look you want. Then trim the edges and it looks great.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
I picked up my brand new 16 foot Sport today and first thing that happened was the sliding panels above the dining table got stuck. It will not budge (I presume that's the tambor door you are talking about?) I hate to have to go back to the dealer to have them fix it - but if that's what it takes I will. Until then any ideas how to unstick this cabinet door?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

Attachment 235402
Very nice job. My 81 Excella had the same problem. I finelly got disgusted and used my pocket knife and a hammer to get into that cabinet. Much easier access with regular doors. Sal

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote