Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
can the grey water tank be extended or made larger

we love our new 2017 sport fb

only issue besides poor build and workmanship is the size of the grey water tank

two short showers and one load of breakfast dishes fills our grey tank.
we even use the on off shower hear control.

we would like to add an extension to our grey tank if possible

underneath, we see space next to the grey tank
is it possible to add and additional tank and connect the two.

if so this would help us to run longer with out having to dump the grey every day
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Don't know about the grey tank replacement...but an additional tank, plumbled level with the existing tank could certainly be done.

Your water-useage habits can be changed a lot cheaper/easier. Here's how my wife and I get 4-5 days without any trouble whatsoever on tank sizes ...fresh OR grey or black: (copied from another post I made)

**Navy shower: Place a 2-gallon plastic bucket in the shower and run the water into the bucket until it's sufficiently warm to shower. (We found an oval-shaped bucket at the dollar-store.) Leave it in the floor of the shower while showering,...the small amount of soapy-water which additionally collects will not be harmful and may be useful as you will soon see. Using the ON/OFF button on the shower-wand, wet yourself, lather up, rinse off.

SAVE the bucket of water. (You can leave it in the shower pan.) Use it to replenish the toilet for flushing or for standing-water. (Always keep a minor amount of water in your toilet to save the valve-seal. Learn that if you plan to "poop"... several inches in the bowl before using it will keep the bowl cleaner. (the mildly-soapy water may be helpful in this regard and is good for the black tank as well.) Only an inch is necessary to preserve the seal or for urination.) This bucket-water will 1- reduce your grey-tank needlessly filling, 2- save fresh-water normally wasted and therefore extend your dry-camping days, 3- good for washing the dog, bbq grill utensils, other?, etc. Use the outside shower to rinse the dog
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I had a similar issue with my '74 Argosy 26'. The original grey water tank is 12 gallons. Doesn't take long to fill it.
I bought a portable tote but found it to be a PIA.
I then decided to add grey water capacity by installing a 21 gallon tank above the floor and under one of the twin beds.
The layout is such that I could connect the discharge line of the new tank into the drain line of the galley sink.
The new tank has it's own dump (ball) valve.
I installed a terminating cap with a garden hose fitting on the sewer outlet.
I installed a pump in the trunk of the coach. When the original tank is full. I simply connect the hose from the pump to the sewer outlet and open the grey water dump valve. Start the pump and transfer the contents to the new tank. Piping from the pump to the new tank was not difficult.
When both tanks are full I connect the sewer hose to the outlet. Then open the original grey water dump valve. Emptying the contents down the sewer. I then open the drain valve for the new tank. It's contents then flow into and thru the original tank and down the sewer.
IMHO this is easier than dealing with a tote. I now have 33 gallons of grey water capacity.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Right now on your Sport 22' (if it's the same as the 2018 specs) you have 866 lb before you overload the axles. Water is 8.2 lb / gallon. If all your existing tanks were full, you would have (20 + 24 + 18 = ) 62 gallons adding weight. (yes that's a bit nuts ... go with it for now). That would be 508 pounds. If you only have gray and black full, that's 42 gallons and 344 lb. Double up your gray and you are up to around 540 with gray and black full.

All of this gets you mighty close to max weight when heading to the dump station. Getting down to < 300 lb of "stuff" is not all that easy. That doesn't include the weight of an extra tank or structure to support it ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
One solution requires replacing your toilet with a composting toilet. Then you wouldn't be using the black tank. Search Google for, "Twist On Waste Valve, 3" which attaches to the outside of your drain pipe. Then turn on both grey and black valves which will allow using some but not all of your black tank for grey water. In addition, it will greatly reduce your use of fresh water.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by fth View Post
One solution requires replacing your toilet with a composting toilet. Then you wouldn't be using the black tank. Search Google for, "Twist On Waste Valve, 3" which attaches to the outside of your drain pipe. Then turn on both grey and black valves which will allow using some but not all of your black tank for grey water. In addition, it will greatly reduce your use of fresh water.
I don't think this would work with a 22 Sport as the black tank is above the floor level and the toilet sits on top of it..
Old 08-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Don't know about the grey tank replacement...but an additional tank, plumbled level with the existing tank could certainly be done.

Your water-useage habits can be changed a lot cheaper/easier. Here's how my wife and I get 4-5 days without any trouble whatsoever on tank sizes ...fresh OR grey or black: (copied from another post I made)

**Navy shower: Place a 2-gallon plastic bucket in the shower and run the water into the bucket until it's sufficiently warm to shower. (We found an oval-shaped bucket at the dollar-store.) Leave it in the floor of the shower while showering,...the small amount of soapy-water which additionally collects will not be harmful and may be useful as you will soon see. Using the ON/OFF button on the shower-wand, wet yourself, lather up, rinse off.

SAVE the bucket of water. (You can leave it in the shower pan.) Use it to replenish the toilet for flushing or for standing-water. (Always keep a minor amount of water in your toilet to save the valve-seal. Learn that if you plan to "poop"... several inches in the bowl before using it will keep the bowl cleaner. (the mildly-soapy water may be helpful in this regard and is good for the black tank as well.) Only an inch is necessary to preserve the seal or for urination.) This bucket-water will 1- reduce your grey-tank needlessly filling, 2- save fresh-water normally wasted and therefore extend your dry-camping days, 3- good for washing the dog, bbq grill utensils, other?, etc. Use the outside shower to rinse the dog
i concur, use very similar practice.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Plus 1 on the bucket issue.

We also use a bucket in the galley sink. For first rinse, warm water waiting etc, no soap. We collect water, settle food waste if any from first rinse, dumpnwater into our fire ring. This also saves grey space. And any food particles are caught in the ashes for the next fire.