Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronderful View Post
The improvement measured at Ford Motor on light duty trucks was a little more than 1 mpg and on small cars over 2 mpg when the mirrors are replaced by cameras. The CAFE requirement for 2025 is a fleet average of 54 mpg. Automakers will be penalized for every tenth of a mpg they are under. Ford is offering buyout, stopping production of the Focus, sending other cars to Asia to scrape together the $14 billion dollars they will spend trying to avoid a potentially much larger penalty. Do you honestly think they will pass up an easy 1 mpg that marketing can sell as an improvement? And BTW when backing into a space it is an improvement, it helps. I spent a fortune on the damn thing, it should do whatever the hell I want it to.
I’m aware of what’s you cite. It’s mainly politics. Better ways to cut the national fuel bill on personal transportation.

But I’ll stay with my assertions.

Now, in re backing. The trailer bumper encountering something isn’t the problem. Ever. It’s the tail swing. Objects not in the exact line of travel. That’s where the real damage occurs.

Don’t expect a camera to cover this problem unless you go to side mount in a pair.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
that's exactly what I intend to do.
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I’m aware of what’s you cite. It’s mainly politics. Better ways to cut the national fuel bill on personal transportation.

But I’ll stay with my assertions.

Now, in re backing. The trailer bumper encountering something isn’t the problem. Ever. It’s the tail swing. Objects not in the exact line of travel. That’s where the real damage occurs.

Don’t expect a camera to cover this problem unless you go to side mount in a pair.

I can back a trailer just fine without a camera. The camera helps.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I’m installing a rear viewing camera up high and side cameras both sides that can be selected via turn signals. It is a fully wired system.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #65
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
For backing, I'll stick with an investigation of the area, an expert spotter, the new camera, both mirrors, and slow steady progress. Anything less is an opportunity to improve some good aluminum sheet metal worker's retirement plan. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
camera for viewing behind trailer while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
For backing, I'll stick with an investigation of the area, an expert spotter, the new camera, both mirrors, and slow steady progress. Anything less is an opportunity to improve some good aluminum sheet metal worker's retirement plan. Pat

There will be occasions when the "expert spotter" is not available.
I carry a couple of orange traffic cones to define my limits, a backup camera, and no hesitation to get out to re-appraise the situation.
"Anything less is an opportunity to improve some good aluminum sheet metal worker's retirement plan. "

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #67
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Even with my expert spotter, mirrors, camera, I G.O.A.L often while parking. (Get Out And Look)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 AM   #68
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
I carry a couple of orange traffic cones to define my limits

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

A darn good suggestion I second or third it.

I recently backed into a sea of fallen leaves all looked the same.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #69
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The ones I found were 6-8" in dia, about 2" tall and yellow in color. They work for guiding a backup path, show up to mark the tow vehicle at night, and do not take up much space. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
A darn good suggestion I second or third it.

I recently backed into a sea of fallen leaves all looked the same.
I store my Airstream in a hangar on my property. The actual "spot" it resides is surrounded on all-sides by equipment and airplanes...back in a corner.
When I pulled it out ... I went back and used marking-paint to paint the tire-tracks in the dusty floor...which resemble a "curve" from the parking chocks I permanently leave placed upon carpet-squares that the tires rest upon when stored. (I don't want the tires sitting long-term directly on concrete as that's not a good environment for either.)
Now, when I back the trailer into it's storage-spot... I observe the rear-view camera on back of the trailer... but I also use my side-mirrors to keep the trailer tires upon the bright-orange marking-paint "tracks" ... which lead the trailer directly back into it's spot... and thereby avoid sheet-aluminum damage on all sorts of equipment/vehicles in the hangar.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I didn't get the rear vision camera option because I knew how well I could see behind the trailer while towing. (with extended mirrors). Plus it was $675. However, returning from my first trip and backing into my 12' wide slot at the storage shelter in the dark had me concerned about crunching the sheet metal on my first trip.
I found riding the brake threw a lot of light behind the trailer, and after getting out about five times, I was parked and headed home.
The next day, in the daylight, I saw I was way forward (the power cord didn't reach), and skewed off of parallel by a lot!
That's where the back up camera would be appreciated, not so much going down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
parking chocks I permanently leave placed upon carpet-squares that the tires rest upon when stored.
Carpet squares! I like it! I'll find a color that shows up well under the red light of tail lights.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:20 AM   #72
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Thanks for info. The A-pillar is problematic. Bracing may work from roof rack mount if forward extension is possible without excessive vision loss. Next step may well be a mockup. Pat
Hadn’t forgotten this, but also haven’t walked around truckstop with measuring tape. Sure have studued plenty while underway.

As to main mirror height vs width, the shuttle buses used at airports have good geometry overall.

Again, it’s the width of the convex that drives overall size.

A tall main mirror is chiefly concerned with view alongside the rig, with maybe the top quarter to third adjuste for traffic; coming over a rise and then levelking off: does following traffic just barely show up as they top the rise? That’s about right. (One starts on level ground and places main mirror midpoint at horizon).

The drawback to commercial truck mirrors is the oversized housing. Meant to take a thwack once in a while. (Nothing like swapping mirrors with an inbound truck on the George Washington in trying to leave NYC).

Vibration at speed will be the aggravating problem.

See Glass Options at Safe Fleet. I think 8” a little wide, 7” better. Also see Fleetpride. Local to you.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
out Garmin RV GPS has a rear camera

i wired it to the lights in the AS
the signal is wireless to the GPS unit in the TV

when i want to see whats behind me, i turn on the TV lights.

at night the camera is always on, the Garmin rv GPS can toggle between map and rear camera

great solution for under $300 with lifetime maps
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote