Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
The voyager camera has a wide view and the distance of following vehicles is a bit off. But if you pass a vehicle you can definitely tell when it is safe to cut back in. Great supplement to mirrors even if it's not a legal "substitute". Laws will probably need to change to keep up with technology (most vehicle laws are from the 1950s).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
Al,

Please tell us more about your system �� and which equipment specifically you bought. I had 12v wiring positioned above our back window during the reno for this purpose. I had planned to buy Fred’s system but he isn’t responding and his website is offline.

Thanks
I swear I posted something, but it isn't here. I must have stopped before hitting submit.

The only thing I bought was the App for the iPad. I had everything else left over from one project or another.

For the camera I used an Edimax IC- something or other, no longer available. Find a camera that says it can be used outdoors, the critical thing being light sensitivity. The ones designed for indoor use have good low light sensitivity, but are overloaded by full sunlight. I still had to get some ND filter material and cut a filter for my lens to knock the light down some more. A newer camera might not have that problem. Make sure that it has WiFi and operates from a 12 volt "wall wart" power supply. You can cut the wires from the power supply and wire it in to the trailer's 12 volts.

For the router I used an old Linksys router that was wireless-B only. A newer one will have better throughput. I run mine at about 4 frames per second which is plenty adequate for this use. As with the camera, make sure that it operates from 12 volts.

The app I used is uCamProHD from the Apple App Store. It has the capability to flip the image horizontally or vertically, one of which you will need depending on how you mount the camera. As I said, it was the only thing I bought, $3.99 IIRC.

I find it very useful for highway driving. I haven't used it much for backing, but the few times I did I found "aiming lines" would have been helpful. I thought about putting some pinstripe tape on the rear glass to perform that function but haven't implemented it yet.

I'm sure the Voyager camera is great, and there are a couple of other WiFi to phone/tablet cameras out there. My son bought a WiFi unit with its own display to put on his Sprinter van but found the WiFi didn't work too well so he had to run a cable. That's less of a problem with a van than a trailer.

Mine does what I need, and I thought the price was right.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearles View Post
We have a 2017 19' bambi that I pull with my 2014, Toyota 4-runner. They do not make side mirrors for my car. We got some that do fit, but they shake and it's really hard to see the cars in the lanes when you need to change a lane. Is there a good camera that someone can recommend for the back of the AS. thank you!
A camera isn’t what works. Or meets legal requirements.

A set of McKesh or Eagle One mirrors will be superior to other choices. I’d prefer the McKesh as they were built in the 1970s (tapering wide grey arm) which can be found on eBay. Attach largest convex mirror.

A camera for backing would be useful WITH these mirrors. Sort of.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A camera isn’t what works. Or meets legal requirements.

A set of McKesh or Eagle One mirrors will be superior to other choices. I’d prefer the McKesh as they were built in the 1970s (tapering wide grey arm) which can be found on eBay. Attach largest convex mirror.

A camera for backing would be useful WITH these mirrors. Sort of.

If you can't see with the Voyager camera it's aimed wrong.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If you can't see with the Voyager camera it's aimed wrong.
Aim isn’t the problem.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
get the garmin RV GPS. it has a BU camera option
i wired the power to the RV lights ( they go through the 7 pin)
when i want to seee behind, i just turn the light on while driving
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Aim isn’t the problem.
Well I'm not sure what is then. Mine works great, night and day difference from just mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	300802  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Are there differences with that view versus reality? It’s a long list. One can call it a deceptive narrative if that makes it easier.

Besides the requirement, mirrors remain in peripheral vision. Need we go into that as well?

A pair of original McKesh is as good as it ever got.

The “trick” to good vision is an upright seating position and correct distance from steering wheel. This is another normal “fail”. The tendency is to sit on one side of the body, a little too far back and low, to operate the vehicle optimally. One wrist draped over wheel. (Next hour change to other side).

Mirrors adjusted to this revised seating make Highway decisions easy.

It’s quite easy to tell in a rapid closure rate from behind which RVs are awake and which are not. The struggle to sit up after the problem is well underway is part of the reason for loss-of-control accidents.

I’ve watched enough of them, and have sat in that seat for decades. Run down the rest of the problem list: bad choice of TV at too high a speed, bad hitch rigging, improper tire pressure, etc. That sequence is almost predictive.

Get the best mirrors. A camera is a poor substitute with its far higher expense and low reliability. Good for backing, and maybe as “proof” in an ROW dispute.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Can anyone recommend a decent wifi camera compatable with Iphone/Ipad ?
Something I can set or mount on the shelf just below the rear window or mount above under the storage area.
I see they are available but would like to hear from someone with real world results.
Thanks

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Are there differences with that view versus reality? It’s a long list. One can call it a deceptive narrative if that makes it easier.

Besides the requirement, mirrors remain in peripheral vision. Need we go into that as well?

A pair of original McKesh is as good as it ever got.

The “trick” to good vision is an upright seating position and correct distance from steering wheel. This is another normal “fail”. The tendency is to sit on one side of the body, a little too far back and low, to operate the vehicle optimally. One wrist draped over wheel. (Next hour change to other side).

Mirrors adjusted to this revised seating make Highway decisions easy.

It’s quite easy to tell in a rapid closure rate from behind which RVs are awake and which are not. The struggle to sit up after the problem is well underway is part of the reason for loss-of-control accidents.

I’ve watched enough of them, and have sat in that seat for decades. Run down the rest of the problem list: bad choice of TV at too high a speed, bad hitch rigging, improper tire pressure, etc. That sequence is almost predictive.

Get the best mirrors. A camera is a poor substitute with its far higher expense and low reliability. Good for backing, and maybe as “proof” in an ROW dispute.

One might argue this to be deceptive, you forgot to mention a whole host of additional requirements for proper vision. What about only driving in proper lighting conditions, a full 8 hours of sleep, making sure your body is completely free from the toxins of medications that will interfere with vision and ability to control the TV and TT, or the appropriate Body Mass Index or (BMI) for perfect articulation of the torso and extremities for control. I find your flippant responses concerning and slightly dangerous.

You should start a YouTube channel to impart all of your wisdom, but why do that when you can write us all a series of how to novels that we can carry around in our trailers for handy quick reference.

Give me a break
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Can anyone recommend a decent wifi camera compatable with Iphone/Ipad ?

Something I can set or mount on the shelf just below the rear window or mount above under the storage area.

I see they are available but would like to hear from someone with real world results.

Thanks

AlinCal, I am a big fan of the DropCam. There are cheaper cams out there, but I like the crisp field of vision on the DropCam.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I could probably see 90% of the view to the rear with the stock mirrors.
I add the CIPI slip on mirrors (2015 Tundra) when towing. They are rock steady. My only complaint is the passenger side is magnifying, so cars look much closer than they really are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend uses these and loves them. Universal fit.
https://www.amazon.com/Milenco-DM-29...d+Aero+Mirrors
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CT View Post
AlinCal, I am a big fan of the DropCam. There are cheaper cams out there, but I like the crisp field of vision on the DropCam.
Is the cable for usb power or does it need a router too?
Thanks

Alan
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
After rethinking this I might like it in the front of the trailer looking back thru the trailer and the rear window, I spend too much time looking in the trucks rear view mirror squinting to see thru the rockguard for open fridge door or pantry pull out that missed getting latched, as well as any traffic that might be on my ***.

Alan
Old 12-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Is the cable for usb power or does it need a router too?

Thanks

Alin, the cable is for usb, no need for a router. I don’t know how long your trailer is, but on our 30 footer I don’t think you would have much use for what you would see out of the back window if mounted in the front of the trailer. Next time I get miracle 2.0 out of storage I’ll drop the cam in (see what I did there?) and try and upload a picture for your reference.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've struggled with the need for a rear view camera.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I could probably see 90% of the view to the rear with the stock mirrors.
I add the CIPI slip on mirrors (2015 Tundra) when towing. They are rock steady. My only complaint is the passenger side is magnifying, so cars look much closer than they really are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend uses these and loves them. Universal fit.
https://www.amazon.com/Milenco-DM-29...d+Aero+Mirrors
I've been using the Milenco mirror for 5 years now and have no complaints. Easy to set up and stays aligned with little or no vibration. Sometimes I think I could use a camera on the rear of the truck for hooking up but really, just to save a couple of minutes? I find that with the Garmin on the dash and Bluetooth phone, the last thing I need is another distraction on the dash.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #38
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Mirrors are a must have... but even more important is actually knowing how to adjust them properly. Most people don't adjust their mirrors correctly, so they lose most of the benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpuller View Post
Essential problem is the extremely wide focal length of the lens. Objects that are 15 ft behind the bumper, look like they’re 50 ft back on the screen. Something 100 ft back looks like it’s a 1/4 mile away on screen.
... this is all true, but I love the fact that between the camera and the mirrors (properly adjusted) I have ZERO BLIND SPOT. I've trained myself to recognize the distorted view of the camera ... basically if you can see a car at all in the the view (unless it's very very tiny), it's close enough to worry about.

One other thing I do is leave the front and rear curtains open on my trailer. That way I can see through the trailer. Helps to reset my sense of perspective now and again, and at night it's very helpful since headlights are easy to see. (Also, I don't have to worry if the fridge door was left open!)
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
get the garmin RV GPS. it has a BU camera option
i wired the power to the RV lights ( they go through the 7 pin)
when i want to seee behind, i just turn the light on while driving
Hi, I also have a Garmin RV 760 GPS with optional back up camera. It was necessary for me to mount my sensor on the front of my trailer to get a good signal. I plug mine into my Battery Tender connector at my battery box. One reason for choosing this was because my GPS and backup camera share the same screen.

I bought a set of Mckesh Mirrors and they won't work/fit all tow vehicles. To fit my Navigator, I would have to modify [cut/trim] my belt molding or take a chance on scratching or breaking my front windows. I sold them. I now have a truck with factory tow mirrors. Don't waste your money on Mckesh Mirrors. They have been around for a long time and worked great on my 1959 Ford, But not so great for newer, tighter, windows on modern vehicles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Don't waste your money on Mckesh Mirrors. They have been around for a long time and worked great on my 1959 Ford, But not so great for newer, tighter, windows on modern vehicles.
Our McKesh mirrors (purchased in 2002) fit our 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee just fine. Obviously, not all new cars are the same.

The Eagle mirrors are a less expensive copy of the McKesh mirrors. I don't know how they really compare.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote