Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Perth , Ontario
Buying a 10 year old Airstream

Can someone tell me some of the more important questions and things to look for when looking at a 10 year old Airstream single axle. Do the torsion rubbers break down in this time frame?
RogerKidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
The torsion axles will likely be good.. do you know how much it was towed?

Jack up each side.. measure the deflection from load to no load..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The torsion axles should be fine. Leaks and damage from leaks is the main thing, in my opinion. Holding tanks and dump valves. Dents. I think in terms of 25 to 30 years for the axles.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Leaks! We bought a '99 safari. Minimal leaks. All mechanicals were good though we upgraded bearings brakes and wheels prior to any travel
Rot and mold are your big enemies.
Make sure Every system is proven to work! Shore power, 12 volt
Water both systems, furnace and AC. stove, microwave. Don't trust tires or brakes, bearings unless demonstrated to work.
We renovated ours for cosmetics only
Also line up your insurance before you pull it home. We have agreed value with progressive. Called them re our upgrades and they increased the value with no argument. Just asked me to keep the receipts.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I would concider a 10 year old trailer still new. The big diference will be "who" owned it those ten years and how it was treated, maintained and stored.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
I would concider a 10 year old trailer still new. The big diference will be "who" owned it those ten years and how it was treated, maintained and stored.

Amen! It was the "who" with our 2005 Safari we bought last year, all age-related items were good or as-expected.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum Roger!

In addition to the good advice so far, I would echo the caution on leaks, mold and mildew, and add smoking and pet odors into the olfactory considerations.

If possible when you look at the trailer, have it be sealed up tight for a few days, then go for an inspection, and be the first one inside.

Trust your nose!

If the AS has been well cared for, 10 years is no big deal. Of course a thorough run-through of all systems is a must. Water pipes full and under pressure, etc..

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Look around the perimeter inside at the flooring take a moisture meter with you they are a cheap investment mine is a Sonin . Some have OSB sub floors if it stays wet it will rot quickly .Leaks will be the biggest hidden problem to look for .
Good luck hope you found what you are looking for .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Non-hidden "problems":

1) If the batteries are 10 years old, they need replacing
2) Tires - same thing
3) Brakes at least need to be checked, I would *assume* they need new pads unless proven otherwise.
4) Wheel bearings - same thing, assume they need replacing until shown otherwise.
5) You will have halogen lights. Plan on replacing them with LED's
6) Spend some quality time making sure the AC(s) work properly. Don't just do a quick check.

None of this part should be scary. Tires and batteries are a "use by 6 years" sort of thing and they have dates marked on them. Brakes and bearings can be checked by any competent mechanic.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If it's been cared for properly and average use (a few trips per year) a 10-year old AS should just be getting broken in ... the key is was it cared for properly and is free of accidents, flooding, etc.. Cars and trailers end up for sale all over the country following a hurricane or tropical storm that were in high water and have been dried out and sent elsewhere to be sold. Just a couple things to think about ..
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I second this! If it's had a good owner, a 10-year-young Airstream has had many of the quirks/problems fixed. Check state of sealant on the roof, the tread/age of tires and test appliances to ensure they work.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
LAFAYETTE , Colorado
Third owner on a 2006. Couple of leaks developed after our first year. Easy to fix. Painted frame after two years. Awning anchor vibrated lose. Replaced. Water inlet started leaking after a year. Easy to replace but keep an eye on it now under sink. Water heater drain leaked after one year. Added Teflon tape, fixed. Replaced bearings after one year. Just like a house maintenance must be done diligently. Every question you have will be answered on forum. If you are at all handy, most things are fixable. ENJOY!!!!!
TYSON PECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

Currently Looking...
Perth , Ontario
Thanks to everyone. This information has been very helpful.
RogerKidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum Roger!

In addition to the good advice so far, I would echo the caution on leaks, mold and mildew, and add smoking and pet odors into the olfactory considerations.

If possible when you look at the trailer, have it be sealed up tight for a few days, then go for an inspection, and be the first one inside.

Trust your nose!

If the AS has been well cared for, 10 years is no big deal. Of course a thorough run-through of all systems is a must. Water pipes full and under pressure, etc..

Good luck,

Peter

Absolutely great advice, Peter. The nose Knows. Any evidence of strange odor is definitely a danger sign. That also includes any trace that any type of air freshener has been used. Air fresheners are to cover up odors. If you don't have a sensitive nose get someone who does. I know my late wife could detect any off odor.

That being said I bought a 10 year old AS that had been well cared for, and stored in a building. It is stored in a building now. Nothing was evident when I inspected it, and none now.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Absolutely great advice, Peter. The nose Knows.
. . .

OT

I was on a construction site years ago, and we had a small hidden electrical fire with tons of smoke, but we could not find the source of the fire. When things settled down, and the fire chief arrived first in his car, he radio'd in for the dept. to send "The Nose" who was an older firefighter with an incredible sense of smell.

About 20 minutes later The Nose arrived, came in the front door, and started sniffing like a bloodhound on the hunt! He quickly ended up in the kitchen pantry, zero'd in on a wall, put his nose right up against the painted sheetrock, pointed to the spot, and said, "It's an electrical transformer right inside this wall."

He was accurate to about 2" [in a 10,000 s.f. house] . . .

Say no more -- The Nose Knows!

Thanks for the reminder,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote