Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Bumper Kit installation

Has anyone installed the rear bumper kit on their Bambi?

I've ordered a bumper kit (from that Silver Trailer place in Salt Lake City that NEVER answers emails, charges the credit card $900+ , promises it has the kit in-stock, actually does NOT ...having meantime cannibalized it for a walk-in.. then promises it to be shipped within a week ... and now almost a month later still does not answer emails...) ..

Anyway... IF... WHEN...I ever get it... has anyone any tips on installation?
Thx.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
What is a bumper kit? Did you receive it and install it?
RyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Contact your credit card company about purchase. The company might have a bad credit rating; especially since not answering your contacts and calls. CC the vendor and credit card company. Been there , done that and got quick results.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Yes, I finally got it and installed it and am very happy now that it's all over.
VERY useful, looks good, protects rear of AS and provides good storage compartment (illuminated by the license plate light above, as it turns out...happy coincidence.)
The install is well designed and instructions are clear, no welding, it's a few holes to drill in the frame and self-tapping bolts...which are cheap hardware and broke off.
I had to supply better grade-8 bolts and tap the holes to attach to the frame, but otherwise it's a good and not difficult install. (Using one-size 1/32 larger drill than specified to make the holes likely would prevent the bolts from shearing.)
I'm very happy and recommend it, despite the $1K cost. (probably better than a deductible from a rear-end bump.)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
What is a rear bumper kit? Is that a storage space for the flexible sewer hose?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeL View Post
What is a rear bumper kit? Is that a storage space for the flexible sewer hose?
The 22 Sport came without the nice AS rear bumper and storage compartment. Go to the AS site and shop and you'll see it.
No ... it's not a square tube for storing a slinky... It's a nice, curved aluminum rear bumper with rectangular storage compartment between the rear of the AS and the bumper....although a slinky and lots of other stuff is stored in mine.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
I guess I'm missing something. I went to the Airstream website, then to the online store, then to travel trailer accessories, clicked through 12 pages and I don't see any sort of rear bumper storage unit. Would you post the link to the page where this product is listed? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Here is a pic of the unit. I'll try to find the ordering info, but I'm certain if you contact Andy at InlandRV he can put you onto it.

Well....here is the kit I ordered. I'm pretty certain it's the same for your 19' Safari...
http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...roduct_id=1094

The page it is offered also offers a kit for the 16'... I cannot see what the difference is but it is a different part no.
http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...xterior?page=2

Now, let me tell you, we caravanned with friends who have a 20' Flying Cloud and these bumpers are exactly the same, despite their oft-claim they are for "narrow body" Airstreams... They measured exactly the same on my 22' Sport as their 20' Cloud widebody.

I can also say that "Airstream Supply" (the links above) are actually the Salt Lake Airstream Dealer known as Intermountain. Those guys sold me the kit and told it it was "in stock"...but in fact, it wasn't and they ordered it drop-shipped from Ohio factory. They charged my CC ...but it didn't arrive for a month backordered...and the folks in Salt Lake failed to communicate with me on the matter completely. I could not get a response from them
I contacted Andy at InlandRV (who participates here) and he offered to help out, and he checked on the order and is who actually discovered the kit was backordered. Hence... you might consider him for your source. It's up to you.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Hope all that (above) makes sense and helps.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #10

2021 16' Bambi
Pensacolaa , Florida
Bumper for 20ft FB 2021 Bambi

Does anyone know if it is possible to install a bumper on the 20ft Bambi? If so, any suggestions as to where to get the bumper (kit)? Thanks for any help.
NavyPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #11

2021 19' Bambi
Hayesville , North Carolina
Bumper Kit

We found the bumper kit part number for our 2021 19CB Bambi by calling Airstream in Ohio. The bumper kit for this airstream is 688150. The dealer we are using to have segment protectors installed said they could install a bumper kit but they had to call Airstream to understand how to do it, which makes us a bit nervous.

Has anyone installed a bumper kit on a 2021 19CB Bambi that would be willing to share their experience?

BTW, the bumper kit, through the dealer is $827.00 + tax + delivery (which they weren't sure what the delivery price was yet), AND Airstream told them it is a five hour install at $164.00 per hour, so another $820 for the folks to install it. All total around $1900 for the job.

The segment protectors are $1100.00 plus $500 to install - at this particular dealer.

Thanks and happy travels!
kjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Minneapolis , MN
airstreamsupply.com

The site appears to be shut down. I have a 2015 Bambi Sport that I would like a bumper with storage for as well as a hitch for a bike rack. Any ideas?

P
potoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Northeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroberts View Post
We found the bumper kit part number for our 2021 19CB Bambi by calling Airstream in Ohio. The bumper kit for this airstream is 688150.

Did you ever get this bumper successfully installed on your Bambi 19, and if so what has been your experience with it? Thanks!
DarthBrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:42 AM   #14

2021 19' Bambi
SOLON , Iowa
Bumper Installed ON 2O23 BAMBI 19CB

We just purchased a 2023 Bambi 19CB and had a bumper installed by RVONE in Des Moines. Looks beautiful and done by an Airstream certified technician. Also had chip guards, fan covers (so we can open during rain), and an Acuva 2.0 LED water treatment system. Great service and the bumper looks beautiful.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	429468   Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	429469  

Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1 4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	429470   Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	429471  

Goldwinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Nice work on the Protectors and Bumper. Have you used the Acuva system yet? I have a home unit and it has been great! We are thinking about getting the smaller unit for the trailer.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:45 AM   #16

2021 19' Bambi
SOLON , Iowa
We just had it installed, but glad to hear you are satisfied with your home unit. Looking forward to not using our Berkey, or bottled water.
Goldwinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I like the choice of protectors as well. The "euro" ones are usually picked for the Bambi's but these ones are nice and have a hinge so you can open them up to clean in behind and they cover the bottom of the trailer too.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Here is a pic of the unit. I'll try to find the ordering info, but I'm certain if you contact Andy at InlandRV he can put you onto it.

Well....here is the kit I ordered. I'm pretty certain it's the same for your 19' Safari...
http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...roduct_id=1094

The page it is offered also offers a kit for the 16'... I cannot see what the difference is but it is a different part no.
http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...xterior?page=2

Now, let me tell you, we caravanned with friends who have a 20' Flying Cloud and these bumpers are exactly the same, despite their oft-claim they are for "narrow body" Airstreams... They measured exactly the same on my 22' Sport as their 20' Cloud widebody.

I can also say that "Airstream Supply" (the links above) are actually the Salt Lake Airstream Dealer known as Intermountain. Those guys sold me the kit and told it it was "in stock"...but in fact, it wasn't and they ordered it drop-shipped from Ohio factory. They charged my CC ...but it didn't arrive for a month backordered...and the folks in Salt Lake failed to communicate with me on the matter completely. I could not get a response from them
I contacted Andy at InlandRV (who participates here) and he offered to help out, and he checked on the order and is who actually discovered the kit was backordered. Hence... you might consider him for your source. It's up to you.
The links in this post I made six years ago…are now INOP…just fyi. (Maybe they finally went out of business because of their poor operating practices such as I’ve mentioned.) Anyway…the pics posted by Goldwinger1 above are illustrative…Thx.

There’s NO REASON for anyone handy with common hand-tools to pay some shop hundred$ to install the bumper kit….it’s straightforward with good instructions. Cut two rectangular holes in the plastic “bananna” skirt…. slide the bumper supports thru the holes ….(the supports fit inside the hollow frame of the trailer)… secure with bolts.