Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Vacaville , California
Blue ox wd sway & Tacoma

Anyone using blue ox wd hitch with a tacoma with tow package?
If so on the sway bars how many chain links do you have exposed?
My set up seems just a little off. Don't know if it's just the truck or the hitch.
Clutch1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Yamhill , Oregon
Clutch, I have a new 23FB so larger than your setup, but exact same rig, 2005 taco 4 door with 5' bed and tow package. I have 750# bars and am connecting at 6 links from the end (loose end). I would experiment with different settings, you will find what works.
Rob Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Vacaville , California
Does anyone else have this set up.
Clutch1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not here--got rid of the similar Husky that came with the trailer and went ProPride. Was latching at 5 links from the end when I had the Husky.

Measure the unhooked height of the Taco front fender well on level ground, then hook up and use the WD bars to get back close to that measurement. I've found no matter what the hitch, you can feel the Taco is light in front--it steers funny and porpoises a bit fore and aft if you don't have enough bar force cranked it. It will depend upon the load you have in the truck and the trailer. Mine varies a bit depending upon what's aboard the truck and the trailer. I've had to crank in about an extral link's worth of force if I'm heavily loaded--about 1/2 to 1 inch on my ProPride jacks.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Clutch-

We have a heavier truck and Airstream combo than you, an F150 crew towing a 27FB, but did tow it for 6 months with a Blue Ox BX1000 (1000 lb bars). I am posting on this thread to share with you my findings while using that hitch.

Blue Ox wants a "bend" or "bow" or "arch" in the bars when set to ensure proper weight distribution and sway control, as they are tapered and designed that way. When I setup the Blue Ox on our coach, I was able to return the truck front fender height to within 1/2" of unloaded height and the rear to within an inch of unloaded height, dropping 7 links and hanging link 8 on the rotating bracket connection. The combo towed well, although when I found a super deal on a used ProPride I upgraded.

Last week I setup the Blue Ox on my 20' equipment trailer, carefully remeasuring and re figuring everything with my typical load of a tractor and implements on the trailer. Sure enough, dropped 7 links and towed it yesterday. That trailer never towed better than it does with the Blue Ox.

Take your time, review your measurements and settings, re-read the Blue Ox book and dial it in carefully, and I bet you can improve your ride.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North Las Vegas , Nevada
I am not sure there is a set number of chain links. Rather each rig is based on TV hitch ball height and the type of trailer you are pulling
DFGILBERTSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
I have a 2012 Tacoma long bed w/towing package and a 22FB. I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. I hook the 9th link on each chain. I have 750# spring bars. My truck is level and the hitch works great.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote