Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
Maple Valley , Washington
Blue Ox - Is it necessary?

We recently traded in our Interstate for a 19' International. We love the design and the space is more than ample for the two of us. When we purchased, the dealer strongly suggested we add the Blue Ox hitch, which we agreed to. The trailer is relatively light and our F350 can handle quite a bit more weight, but we felt the anti-sway benefit was worth it.

We are having some second thoughts and would like to you how you experienced travelers felt. Is it overkill?

Also, I have been searching to a departure checklist and haven't had much luck, any suggestions? We are making our first overnight trip this weekend and appreciate the information available here!

Thank you!
Semmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I have a 16 foot with similar situation and purchased a equalizer. I have pulled with it on and without the equalizer. I pull at 60 to 65 and have not noticed any difference. However many that have been pulling a long time tell me I need sway control for safety. I will have to leave it to the experts for all the reasons why we need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You do not need a Weight Distributing hitch with that trailer and a 350. Even if you use one the limited forces you would put into the bars will have little effect on the sway control aspects of the hitch.

You might want to consider an Andersen hitch that will provide the sway control you are interested in.

If you investigate the Andersen you will see comments that it is not compatible with certain Atwood couplers. This is true and is a problem with heaver trailers but should not be a problem because of the limited tension you will be putting on the chains.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Overkill? Not necessarily but I think you would be better served by the light weight, clean and easy set up Anderson system.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there. Overkill? Probably not. You likely don't need the weight distribution for that setup though I wonder if the WD is integral to the sway control of that hitch. Even if you don't need WD, you should always have sway control (in my opinion).

As for checklists - there are many in the forums here - and a website with lists of lists here: http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide..._checklist.php

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To clear the above comment on sway control..

The WD aspects of the Andersen is a function of the load in the chains. The sway control is a function of the tongue weight on the ball shank.

For your configuration the chains could be set to a near min. tension and used only to cause the motion in the ball shank that is the sway control.

This may not be self evident when you first look at the system. I laid awake for 1/2 of the first night I saw this system to figure out how it worked

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry Howie - my question was about the OP's Blue Ox. I think I understand how the Andersen works in terms of Sway vs WD. I should have been clearer...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Overkill.....

IMHO.....it's the 350, not the hitch.

Sway control is always a good option, (more so with a single axle trailer.)

Bob
Old 10-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is your 350 dual rear wheel or single rear wheel?
You do not need weight distribution with a 1 ton truck and a small trailer. The truck is capable of way over 1,000# tongue weight and your trailer may not even put 300-400# on the ball.
If it is a dual rear wheel truck, you do not need sway control. The wide stance and 4 tire contact patches is your sway control. Set it on the ball and go.
If it is a single rear wheel truck, sway control will be beneficial to you for safety. Make sure you have sway control, but don't worry about weight distribution.
Also, being a single axle trailer sway control will be helpful. A tandem axle trailer is generally less susceptible to sway because of the other axle and 2 tires- more stable- more contact with the roadway-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Blue Ox

I do not (yet) have an Airstream, but have been trailering for some time. I read great things about the Blue Ox, so bought one about a year and a half ago to tow my 25' FunFinder. It is probably overkill for what you need, but it is top quality. I haven't noticed a huge difference between it and my previous less expensive setup, but I don't think you can go wrong with it; if I were you, I wouldn't worry about having second thoughts.
graywhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
@Semmons. The Blue Ox Sway Pro is a very good hitch. Not great, but it is VG. We have used it for several years over lengthy distances, including a recent trip to Alaska. Our 25’ AS is towed with a 2004 Ford F150. Your light weight 19’ footer may be just the reason for having a sway control (not necessarily a weight distribution) hitch. Consider what may happen in a strong cross wind, meeting or being passed by speeding semi-trailer trucks, if your hitch became disconnected from that F350, narrow bridges, et cetera. I have seen several collisions during a jackknife. Not pretty sights. Your dealership is looking out for your safety and others on the road. Your thinking a sway control hitch is worth it on an F350 shows good judgment.

The most pressing problem I find with the Blue Ox Pro Sway hitch is its use of rotating latches for lifting and securing the spring bar chains. Dust and other debris works in behind the latches causing considerable difficulty to turn. I solved my hitch problem by replacing the rotating latches with Reese lift brackets.

I strongly recommend a sway control hitch regardless of the tow vehicle. I had a Hensley-Arrow and believe it is a great hitch. But, it became a chore for an oldie like me to hook up. The Blue Ox now suits us well. Happy travels.
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I have a 19' International but tow it with an F150. For over six years I have travelled as far as the Yukon and Alaska and to Arizona every winter and have encountered mountains, heavy crosswinds, curvey roads, semi-trailer wakes, and road emergancies without a problem. Nineteen-foot truck and 19' trailer. IMO, for my setup, WD/sway control is a hastle and overkill.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I started with an Andersen and switched to a Blue Ox to try to equalize the 1250 lb. tongue weight of my 2014 FC25FB with my F-150. It was better but not good enough. I've decided to sell the truck, buy a 3/4 ton diesel, and return to the Andersen. Both hitches provide good and equivalent sway control but I HATE greasing the ball and spring bar receivers on the Blue Ox, and they say it's a clean hitch. It's a mess I can do without.

This is my first experience with towing more than a 17' Boston Whaler but even so, I think 50KIP is probably right. I doubt you and your 350 will ever notice the 19 no matter what hitch you use.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bill I am with you, I am dumping the BlueOx and also going back to the Andersen as soon as I can swing it. .

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I foolishly switched from a Straitline to the Blue Ox.... What a mess. First off the sway control was non existent! I had the hitch rip through where the spring bars inserted!
Blue Ox sent a tech to resolve my issues. After a 20 mile test drive and his "tweaking" he wanted to get off the road and out of my truck, it was just horrible... I got all my money back and they bought me a Reese hitch back!
Happy as could be again!
Moral of the story is, stay with makes you happy!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
An F350 and 19' Airstream probably doesn't need WD. Just get a friction bar attached to the Airstream frame that connects to the receiver bar to be on the safe side. As long as the trailer is level and the front end of the truck doesn't change you'll be fine. Measure the road to fender height on the front axles and then hitch up the 19 and see if it changes. If the front axle doesn't change then don't worry about WD. Now if you plan to haul around an ATV in the back that would be different.

I had just a single friction anti swap on my 4Runner/17' Casita (420lbs tongue weight). Never had an issue towing.

Kelvin
Old 10-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Bill I am with you, I am dumping the BlueOx and also going back to the Andersen as soon as I can swing it. .
AW - just found your comment. Was a bit surprised. What has convinced you to consider the change? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just came back from a 10K mile trip with a Blue Ox. Towing a 25' NASH. No problems. I use an Anderson hitch on the 26' Argosy. No problems.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I really like my blue ox, on my 27 FC FB, towed by a Silverado LT.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We tow full time with a Blue OX Sway Pro hitch and as long as you maintain the thing, it works great. Keep it clean, grease it occasionally, keep the ball clean and greased and make sure the chains are perpendicular to the frame. This is very important. The rotating latches will move. I recently had to move both of mine about 1/4" and the change in the ride was amazing. Much smoother now.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote