Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I've noted that most folks who buy expensive equipment are loathe to condemn their decisions, even if they have no proof the equipment did them any good. I believe that might be due to their unwillingness to admit or recognize their mistake.
I've been towing trailers of all types and makes for over 45 years and never found a need for a WD/AS hitch as long as the TV and the trailer were properly matched and loaded. The only jack-knifes and roll-overs I've seen were drivers with poor judgement using WD/AS hitches.

My Ram 1500 (LWB) pulling my 22' Bambi using a standard ball-hitch for thousands of miles (so far) have never given me a bit of trouble even at Interstate speeds in West Texas with winds and 18-wheelers, not even in the I-10 Sonora-Ozona canyon crossings. It follows along like a tame lamb.

I realize this may draw lots of heated criticisms from those owners who believe the WD/AS hitches they've purchased are mandatory but when properly matched with the TV...I don't believe it advantageous one bit (and disadvantageous, especially on rough roads and in some other circumstances.) YMMV.

My advice to new owners: Pull it a few miles on an 18-wheeler-filled interstate to see how it behaves....then decide for yourself. Keep your TV and trailer properly loaded/level and your tires properly inflated and check them before each/every pull-out.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
What's the tongue weight on that 22' Bambi?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I've noted that most folks who buy expensive equipment are loathe to condemn their decisions, even if they have no proof the equipment did them any good. I believe that might be due to their unwillingness to admit or recognize their mistake.
I've been towing trailers of all types and makes for over 45 years and never found a need for a WD/AS hitch as long as the TV and the trailer were properly matched and loaded. The only jack-knifes and roll-overs I've seen were drivers with poor judgement using WD/AS hitches.

That reminds me of the argument often made by smokers. "Uncle Ben lived to be 100 and he smoked 20 a day since he was 7."

Anecdotes and data are two very different things. Weight distribution and anti-sway will make your towing experience safer and more relaxing, that's why they have become the standard.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
My statistics professor in college repeated this phrase endlessly, "correlation does not imply causation," but more than half the class left believing otherwise.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #25
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Haha, last time I brought up the question of a "statistically significant sample" in this forum I had to carry my head out of the room in a box. Don't go there, wouldn't be prudent, won't end well.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have no scientific evidence to back me up all I know is it works. I really do not care if that is good enough for Internet kitchen engineers or not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
My statistics professor in college repeated this phrase endlessly, "correlation does not imply causation," but more than half the class left believing otherwise.

I would say that your professor was within one word of being correct.

"correlation does not NECESSARILY imply causation,"

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
I've got the Blue Ox system and absolutely love it. Probably overkill but I'm pulling a 22 Sport with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted to be sure weight distribution and sway were accounted for. At the end of the day it all handles great, is easy to use and more than tough enough.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinjen View Post
I've got the Blue Ox system and absolutely love it. Probably overkill but I'm pulling a 22 Sport with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted to be sure weight distribution and sway were accounted for. At the end of the day it all handles great, is easy to use and more than tough enough.
You stumbled onto a rather old thread about the Blue Ox SwayPro, but there's no harm in that. I don't think it's even a little bit of overkill for the rig you described, as long as you have the right sized bars on it. I run a heavier-tongued trailer with a heavier-longer tow vehicle and even so, once I got the Blue Ox dialed in I'm very pleased with its performance.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You stumbled onto a rather old thread about the Blue Ox SwayPro, but there's no harm in that. I don't think it's even a little bit of overkill for the rig you described, as long as you have the right sized bars on it. I run a heavier-tongued trailer with a heavier-longer tow vehicle and even so, once I got the Blue Ox dialed in I'm very pleased with its performance.
I'm running the 550 lb bars and seems right but I must admit I'm not the most schooled when it comes to towing.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote