Old 10-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I foolishly switched from a Straitline to the Blue Ox.... What a mess. First off the sway control was non existent! I had the hitch rip through where the spring bars inserted!
Blue Ox sent a tech to resolve my issues. After a 20 mile test drive and his "tweaking" he wanted to get off the road and out of my truck, it was just horrible... I got all my money back and they bought me a Reese hitch back!
Happy as could be again!
Moral of the story is, stay with makes you happy!

Old 10-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
An F350 and 19' Airstream probably doesn't need WD. Just get a friction bar attached to the Airstream frame that connects to the receiver bar to be on the safe side. As long as the trailer is level and the front end of the truck doesn't change you'll be fine. Measure the road to fender height on the front axles and then hitch up the 19 and see if it changes. If the front axle doesn't change then don't worry about WD. Now if you plan to haul around an ATV in the back that would be different.

I had just a single friction anti swap on my 4Runner/17' Casita (420lbs tongue weight). Never had an issue towing.

Kelvin

Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Bill I am with you, I am dumping the BlueOx and also going back to the Andersen as soon as I can swing it. .
AW - just found your comment. Was a bit surprised. What has convinced you to consider the change? Pat
Old 10-17-2015, 11:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just came back from a 10K mile trip with a Blue Ox. Towing a 25' NASH. No problems. I use an Anderson hitch on the 26' Argosy. No problems.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I really like my blue ox, on my 27 FC FB, towed by a Silverado LT.

Mike
Old 10-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We tow full time with a Blue OX Sway Pro hitch and as long as you maintain the thing, it works great. Keep it clean, grease it occasionally, keep the ball clean and greased and make sure the chains are perpendicular to the frame. This is very important. The rotating latches will move. I recently had to move both of mine about 1/4" and the change in the ride was amazing. Much smoother now.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I've noted that most folks who buy expensive equipment are loathe to condemn their decisions, even if they have no proof the equipment did them any good. I believe that might be due to their unwillingness to admit or recognize their mistake.
I've been towing trailers of all types and makes for over 45 years and never found a need for a WD/AS hitch as long as the TV and the trailer were properly matched and loaded. The only jack-knifes and roll-overs I've seen were drivers with poor judgement using WD/AS hitches.

My Ram 1500 (LWB) pulling my 22' Bambi using a standard ball-hitch for thousands of miles (so far) have never given me a bit of trouble even at Interstate speeds in West Texas with winds and 18-wheelers, not even in the I-10 Sonora-Ozona canyon crossings. It follows along like a tame lamb.

I realize this may draw lots of heated criticisms from those owners who believe the WD/AS hitches they've purchased are mandatory but when properly matched with the TV...I don't believe it advantageous one bit (and disadvantageous, especially on rough roads and in some other circumstances.) YMMV.

My advice to new owners: Pull it a few miles on an 18-wheeler-filled interstate to see how it behaves....then decide for yourself. Keep your TV and trailer properly loaded/level and your tires properly inflated and check them before each/every pull-out.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
What's the tongue weight on that 22' Bambi?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I've noted that most folks who buy expensive equipment are loathe to condemn their decisions, even if they have no proof the equipment did them any good. I believe that might be due to their unwillingness to admit or recognize their mistake.
I've been towing trailers of all types and makes for over 45 years and never found a need for a WD/AS hitch as long as the TV and the trailer were properly matched and loaded. The only jack-knifes and roll-overs I've seen were drivers with poor judgement using WD/AS hitches.

That reminds me of the argument often made by smokers. "Uncle Ben lived to be 100 and he smoked 20 a day since he was 7."

Anecdotes and data are two very different things. Weight distribution and anti-sway will make your towing experience safer and more relaxing, that's why they have become the standard.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
My statistics professor in college repeated this phrase endlessly, "correlation does not imply causation," but more than half the class left believing otherwise.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #25
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Haha, last time I brought up the question of a "statistically significant sample" in this forum I had to carry my head out of the room in a box. Don't go there, wouldn't be prudent, won't end well.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have no scientific evidence to back me up all I know is it works. I really do not care if that is good enough for Internet kitchen engineers or not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
My statistics professor in college repeated this phrase endlessly, "correlation does not imply causation," but more than half the class left believing otherwise.

I would say that your professor was within one word of being correct.

"correlation does not NECESSARILY imply causation,"

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
I've got the Blue Ox system and absolutely love it. Probably overkill but I'm pulling a 22 Sport with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted to be sure weight distribution and sway were accounted for. At the end of the day it all handles great, is easy to use and more than tough enough.