Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Austin , Texas
Bedding / Mattress Size

We're picking up our 2017 22' Sport FB this weekend. I've found multiple sizes for the mattresses and was hoping someone can confirm one of these so that I can bring either a full or queen sheet set and probably buy an appropriately sized quilt. I plan to use the sheet clamps to provide a tight fit at the corners.

Dealer says the mattress is 54x74

Airstream shows 54″x78″ with Radius Corners– found in 2017 22′ FB Sport

Another post found on AF directed users to AB Lifestyles:
22' Sport sheets measuring 83.25" x 54"

Thanks!
jsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
We use queen on ours but it is a bit big , it sure if a full would fit
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The "Queen bed" of the Sports changed actual measurements in various years. None of the queen bedding items found in "Bed n Bath" type stores will be an exact fit, you'll likely have to do a bit of seamstressing.

Of course, flat sheets are no problem at all as they can be tucked underneath.

My wife trimmed an ordinary fitted queen sheet to fit ours but left the flat sheet alone. Same modification to a fitted mattress cover.

Since our 2008 22' Sport used the forward dinette to convert to a queen...it makes a larger queen than the later 22' FB Sport does.... the trade-off is a smaller eating area as we use the full length lounge and TV-tables for eating. We've actually come to prefer the earlier floorplan because the small non-panoramic windows gives more privacy to the bed area, and also allows sitting up and leaning against the walls while reading in bed. The temperature also stays more stable. The full length lounge is convenient for actually "lounging" upon to watch TV and makes a better pull-out bed with no "hump" for the few times we use it as a bed (usually when a grandchild accompanies us.) but I digress...

The newer models have some nice features added that the older ones don't, of course. Good luck with the sheets. BTW, I predict you'll end up ordering a custom mattress before it's all over anyway. AS mattresses don't receive many good reviews.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The "Queen bed" of the Sports changed actual measurements in various years. None of the queen bedding items found in "Bed n Bath" type stores will be an exact fit, you'll likely have to do a bit of seamstressing.

Of course, flat sheets are no problem at all as they can be tucked underneath.

My wife trimmed an ordinary fitted queen sheet to fit ours but left the flat sheet alone. Same modification to a fitted mattress cover.

Since our 2008 22' Sport used the forward dinette to convert to a queen...it makes a larger queen than the later 22' FB Sport does.... the trade-off is a smaller eating area as we use the full length lounge and TV-tables for eating. We've actually come to prefer the earlier floorplan because the small non-panoramic windows gives more privacy to the bed area, and also allows sitting up and leaning against the walls while reading in bed. The temperature also stays more stable. The full length lounge is convenient for actually "lounging" upon to watch TV and makes a better pull-out bed with no "hump" for the few times we use it as a bed (usually when a grandchild accompanies us.) but I digress...

The newer models have some nice features added that the older ones don't, of course. Good luck with the sheets. BTW, I predict you'll end up ordering a custom mattress before it's all over anyway. AS mattresses don't receive many good reviews.

I'm fairly picky about my bedding and have found something that works well for us without spending a fortune. I use a queen fitted sheet without clips - the extra fabric tucks in and stays well. I use a double/full top sheet - the queen was way too much (impossible to tuck much in on the window side). And for quilts, we use a twin comforter from the Company Store. It's plenty of cover and it looks great. On cooler nights we add a twin Pendleton blanket.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Ps. By using the queen fitted sheet you could actually add a mattress topper for the ultimate comfy bed. We don't mind the firm mattress so we haven't done this yet.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
As Boxite mentioned, the year of the trailer matters greatly. In 2017 (?) later they shortened the mattress 2" or so to allow for the mattress to be lifted to access the storage compartment, those of us with older 22FBs have to crawl through the center access door to get everything out of the under bed storage.

With a bit of extension of the bed platform (and perhaps losing a "nightstand" shelf) you could likely fit a full queen mattress, there is a thread with someone that did that on their 2017 22FB.

Based on the floor plans I can find:
2017+ 54" x 78" 1:1.4 ratio (4212 sq in)
2009-2016(?) 54" x 83" 1:1.53 ratio (4482 sq in)
2008 60" x 83" 1:1.38 ratio (front dinette converts to bed) (4980 sq in)

Traditional bed sizes are:
Full 54x74 1:1.37 ratio (3996 sq in)
Queen 60x80 1:1.33 ratio (4800 sq in)

The part that varies from traditional mattresses greatly is the thickness, and that is likely what makes most bedding "loose". Our mattresses are something like 6" thick, while traditional mattress starts ~10", but often are far thicker in more luxurious beds. Newer memory type foam mattresses are often thinner though, perhaps 8" as they don't need room for springs to compress and still have more room to give.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Austin , Texas
Great info! Like Boxite, I was comparing a twin quilt from Restoration Hardware that had about 6" overhang on each side. It's good to know we can save a few bucks with a better fit.

I really appreciate the history lesson about model changes. There's so much we don't know!
jsimms is offline   Reply With Quote