Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2020 23' Globetrotter
Cary , North Carolina
Bed Extension in 2017 22ft Sport

Yeah, hubby and I completed our first major reno in our 2017 22ft Airstream Sport - we increased the bed size on the kitchen dinette. We are a family of 4 and our 2 kids have been sleeping on the kitchen dinette that converts to a bed. I have been "trolling" the internet looking for such a solution and finally found the answer!! All credit goes to Ohmman from North Bay, CA who posted on the Tesla Motor Club Forum. Hopefully he sees this!! FYI neither of us are handy so this was a MAJOR accomplishment!!!

He lays out all of the measurements and following what he said, our dinette table now converts from a bed that measured 38"x74.5" to a bed that is 52"x 74.5" - you go from a twin to a FULL size bed!!!

Our reno costs $83.61 with everything being purchased from Home Depot! We purchased the following 3 items: 3/4" MDF 4'x8' panel for $36.68, 3-28" Parsons legs for $32.94 & 3-heavy duty top plate brackets to screw the legs in for $8.34. I have all of the item numbers if someone is interested. Also if you are in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC we have a piece of MDF already cut and ready to sell to you!!!

We had Home Depot cut the board for us. We then "notched out" a section so that the extension would fit against the table. We rounded the corner at the end to allow for maximum space to access the refrigerator. We attached leg brackets, filed down the legs for smoothness & voila!! The "extension piece" flips over to the other side for handy storage and the legs store underneath in one of the storage compartments. Per Ohmman's directions, you are left with enough room to open the refrigerator & grab a bottle of wine and although a tight squeeze, you can walk by to access the bathroom. Here are our pictures although Ohmman's work and pictures are better.

We've already used it on a trip and the kids loved it!! I did have to make a cushion for the newly created space. We also purchased a foam mattress topper. The extension is sturdy enough to support my husband & I as well.
Happy Camping!!!

PS In the last 2 pictures with the kids, the last picture shows all of the new space. The 2nd to last picture shows the space they had to sleep in before the reno!!
Attached Images

Llran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Whoo-Hooo!

VERY Nice!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Hey, great job. That ohmman is me! We still use ours as well. I have taken to propping mine up with small aluminum folding tables instead of the legs. Much quicker setup.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We have been using our Sport for a few months now and I considered doing something like this to extend the main bed and switch it up to a queen size mattress.

Thanks for doing this and helping get the creative juices flowing.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
question.
where do you store that large board during the day or when not in use?
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
question.

Behind the back, as seen here.

2017 Sport 22 - Some possible changes
https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho....php?p=1916389
Old 07-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2020 23' Globetrotter
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
question.
Once we convert the bed back to the dinette, the prefabricated piece actually gets stored under the cushions on the dinette. It was important to me to not build/construct something that took up more space in the limited space we have.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llran View Post
Once we convert the bed back to the dinette, the prefabricated piece actually gets stored under the cushions on the dinette. It was important to me to not build/construct something that took up more space in the limited space we have.
I originally put it under the cushions but didn't like the unevenness when sitting on them, which is why we flip it and put it against the window. Worth a shot if you notice it.

Are you still using it? We use it nightly when we're out!
Old 07-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2020 23' Globetrotter
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
I originally put it under the cushions but didn't like the unevenness when sitting on them, which is why we flip it and put it against the window. Worth a shot if you notice it.

Are you still using it? We use it nightly when we're out!
Ohmman,
I’m just now “getting” your original post/response above LOL. Yes, we use it EVERY TIME we go out camping. In fact, the kids now set it up & break it down. We rarely use the dinette to sit at unless the weather is bad so we don’t feel the hump too much. Typically we eat outside. I’ll have to try putting it in the back - no scratches to the interior when the board is resting against the back? Do you travel/tow with it rested behind the cushion as well? Of course now I would like a bigger AS.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llran View Post
Yeah, hubby and I completed our first major reno in our 2017 22ft Airstream Sport - we increased the bed size on the kitchen dinette. We are a family of 4 and our 2 kids have been sleeping on the kitchen dinette that converts to a bed. I have been "trolling" the internet looking for such a solution and finally found the answer!! All credit goes to Ohmman from North Bay, CA who posted on the Tesla Motor Club Forum. Hopefully he sees this!! FYI neither of us are handy so this was a MAJOR accomplishment!!!

He lays out all of the measurements and following what he said, our dinette table now converts from a bed that measured 38"x74.5" to a bed that is 52"x 74.5" - you go from a twin to a FULL size bed!!!

Our reno costs $83.61 with everything being purchased from Home Depot! We purchased the following 3 items: 3/4" MDF 4'x8' panel for $36.68, 3-28" Parsons legs for $32.94 & 3-heavy duty top plate brackets to screw the legs in for $8.34. I have all of the item numbers if someone is interested. Also if you are in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC we have a piece of MDF already cut and ready to sell to you!!!

We had Home Depot cut the board for us. We then "notched out" a section so that the extension would fit against the table. We rounded the corner at the end to allow for maximum space to access the refrigerator. We attached leg brackets, filed down the legs for smoothness & voila!! The "extension piece" flips over to the other side for handy storage and the legs store underneath in one of the storage compartments. Per Ohmman's directions, you are left with enough room to open the refrigerator & grab a bottle of wine and although a tight squeeze, you can walk by to access the bathroom. Here are our pictures although Ohmman's work and pictures are better.

We've already used it on a trip and the kids loved it!! I did have to make a cushion for the newly created space. We also purchased a foam mattress topper. The extension is sturdy enough to support my husband & I as well.
Happy Camping!!!

PS In the last 2 pictures with the kids, the last picture shows all of the new space. The 2nd to last picture shows the space they had to sleep in before the reno!!

I live in Clayton. Do you still have the left over piece of wood? Thinking about making your mod for my 21 Bambi 22FB.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Woodburn , Kentucky
Hi there. I'm looking for a solution to extend the main bed in the Sport 22. Did you do anything with yours? Thanks!
GratefulGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulGal View Post
Hi there. I'm looking for a solution to extend the main bed in the Sport 22. Did you do anything with yours? Thanks!
Hi Gratefulgal, I was looking at making the bed fit a queen sized mattress by adding some framing (about 6") to the exposed side of the bed frame and then changing the mattress to a queen with the rounded corners. Other things have pushed this to the back of the list. The framing would still allow for access to the under-bed storage.

With a bit of wood and a plan, I am sure it would be straight forward to do this.

Let us know how it works out if you decide to move ahead with the extension.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulGal View Post

I did this, by removing the plexiglass/curtain partition and extending the bed platform all the way to the sink counter and dinette using a couple sheets of 3/4” plywood. at the same time, I expanded the exterior storage compartment. We now sleep on a (real) queen size 14” memory foam mattress from Costco.
gezafishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Woodburn , Kentucky
I’d love to see any photos you have of your platform, supports, etc. care to share?
GratefulGal is offline   Reply With Quote