Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Ah that makes sense. Is there any way to perhaps:
1-open the gray
2-on the end of the waste hose connection (where you hook up the dump hose) mount a connection that has the garden hose size connection to it.
3- get enough liquid in the hose to siphon from the gray to the black by using the black tank flush connection.

I don't know about this but may be worth finding out more.

Other idea would be to use a small suction pump to also pump the nearly full gray into the black via the black tank flush connection.

Possible issues would be if you got icky gray water behind the wall if there was a failure in the black flush.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I'm surprised that MeFly2 and I are the only ones proposing looking at the FC20...a solid, well-laid out AS with the best galley and large amounts of storage...and falling in the middle of the models being considered. And no rust on bolts...and solidly built with large frame dimensions. Safe travels either way. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitterpated View Post
Hi there. Brand new to the Airstream Forums. Wanting to get into an Airstream by summer 2018. Doing lots of homework. Typically overthink things then freak out. I'd love some thoughts about a good entry point for a complete newbie: Basecamp, Sport 16, Sport 22, or FC 19? I do wish to take along my special needs cats so that I don't have to board him.

Thanks much! [emoji4]
What type of tow vehicle are you going to use?
Have you considered looking at refurbished models? There are several companies in California that specializes in Airstream remodels. Hofman architecture even has a Airstream camp you can rent one like a hotel room for the weekend. Since you have sometime yet I suggest looking at all your options.
https://hofarc.com/
Below is a YouTube video of just one of his remodels.
https://youtu.be/vzGo1etKmGk
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Twitterpated,
My wife and I have been thriving at full timing it in a 19' International Serenity for 15 months. I highly recommend you rent an Airstream for at least a weekend. The experience will teach you more than any discussion.
The limiting factors with the 19 FC are:
1. can you sleep in the bed? I sleep near the wall, my spouse sleeps near the bathroom. The gymnastics required to get in and out of the bed will be the challenge.
2. Can you use a kitchen without a counter height surface to work with?
We wanted a 16' Sport but my spouse is absolutely disgusted by spitting in the kitchen sink.
We used to travel two up on a motorcycle and sleep in a tent. Any AS is total luxury compared to that. Less is more until you are parked.
Good luck.
AL4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:15 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
San Carlos , California
I'm with you on the FC20. We love ours. The layout is great for us. Much less claustrophobic than some. We travel with 2 mastiffs and the dinette is always set up for them as we eat outside.

Did spend a lot of time researching all the layouts. And then almost a year to find "the one". Initially, we were thinking of a 23 but decided the FC20 was a better fit.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Go for the FC20 ...great galley; efficient layout / space.
Ditto! We had a 25' years ago, and love our FC20. Take the time to go to a large AS dealer and spend some time in each model under consideration.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Just went over to the Airstream lot to look through the 22 Sport again. Noticed all the screws on the window hinges are rusty and the hardware on the stairs is rusty. Brand new trailer and already rusty parts. Kind of disgusts me for that kind of a price tag.
Yup. AS quality control has gone downhill, but so have the other mfg's QC.

Sad.

Buy an old one and fix her up?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

APO , AE
Just marking for later so I can come back and read. I am in the same situation and looking to 2018 as right now we are stationed in Germany. I know it will be 3 (2 adults and 1 toddler)of us and a dog. Tow vehicle is not really of a concern of mine as the Wife has a Q5 and I will be getting a vehicle to use as a daily and tow vehicle. but 22' is the max length we want to pull and only started to consider it since reading here. It was always a 16'...
Troutbum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Here is something to really think about (this will not be popular in the Forums); at first I looked at a 23FC, really liked that, then I fell in love with the 16 BUT I didn't like the the wet bath and then discovered the 19FC and bought that. It is a great unit (at least mine was) BUT . . . AS has some serious limitations you need to consider . . .
1) IF this is just for you and your favorite furry friend, then this is probably a perfect unit.
2) On there other hand, be honest, that bed in the back is really only good for one person unless your into gymnastics
3) With regard to towing, the 19 is a breeze, I had a Mercedes ML 350 diesel and never knew it was back there
4) Storage space is OK, but that's about it
5) The minute you introduce another person into the mix everything gets smaller (water, tankage, room, storage

If I were to do it again (given that I now travel to matches with my DW) I'd buy either the 23 front queen or the 25 or perhaps a bunk model to enhance sleeping arrangements. We travel to matches throughout the states and sleep is very important to both of us. Being comfortable and having a few luxuries like hot showers and our own bathroom are equally important. I realize lots of folks here use campgrounds and their facilities, but I'm not one of them. Also, I'd make sure I had a bigger towing vehicle.

Changes I've made since buying the 19FC:
I traded the 19 in against a Riverside Retro 195 - looks cool, but not an AS (I got a really big check with my new unit!). Then I traded that for a another Retro, this one the 189R Lodge edition, way cooler, very spacious, lots of storage and fairly light for the size when compared to the AS.

Having both an AS and now the Retros, I can honestly say that there is a quality difference as the AS are better, not perfect, but better. It's the little things: The wood, the screws vs staples, the easier towing (low to the ground). However, I still have a hard time justifying the extra cost of an AS. Of course, this is just one of many opinions that you'll get, but you really owe it to yourself to compare other units (often referred to here as 'Some Other Brands' or SOB). Some are a waste of time and others are pretty cool, it all matters on what you're looking for.

Final thought, you can buy 3 Retros for the price of 1 FC19 - BUT - The Retros will never be an Airstream, ever.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Troutbum,
We love our 22. It is so much while still being compact. It's a great size for 3 people and a dog.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I have a 22FB Sport and I really like it a lot. Typically when we travel it is my wife and I and two small grand children ages 2 and 4 currently. The unit fits us well. One thing not "mentioned" is that the 22FB is about a foot narrower than the other trailers mentioned. As mentioned it is lighter and has nearly a 1000 lb cargo capacity. That equates to you can take more "stuff" if so desired. And....it can be towed by a "car, suv" etc. You don't need a monsterous tow vehicle.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Consider.....whatever you wish to take with you has to be stored in your TV if it doesn't fit in the AS.......what size works best if you have to spend 1-2 days inside due to inclement weather.....pre-owned saves depreciation and AS owners take care of their units......you would need to be a 6 yo gymnast to get in a bunk, but maybe a good place for cats.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Just went over to the Airstream lot to look through the 22 Sport again. Noticed all the screws on the window hinges are rusty and the hardware on the stairs is rusty. Brand new trailer and already rusty parts. Kind of disgusts me for that kind of a price tag.
So don't buy THAT one. (Who knows where it's been stored or for how long....seacoast? industrial pollution?)

There are only two small screws on the Hehr window "hinges" and they are only for retaining a pin. They'll still outlast a dozen SOBs but if you buy one and keep it...sooner or later you'll have to wire-brush and paint some hardware regardless of which brand/model you buy.
The stairs? Well.... they ARE beneath the carriage and subject to rocks, gravel, and salted-roads. I spray mine with rattle-can black paint every other year and they look new.

My point is, such small trivia is hardly a reason to condemn an entire model line over one example. IMO
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Looks like it's going to be a 19 International. Now just need to decide on Serenity vs. Signature.
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
19's

My wife and I settled on the 19 and had to decide which one. The Flying Cloud, Int. Signature and Int. Serenity are very similar. Colors and textures separate them. But one thing we hadn't noticed was the cabinets. The sliding glass doors on the Internationals are less than optimal for ease of access. My 20/20 hindsight says take a good look at all of the cabinets before you decide. The good thing is all of the 19s have everything you need witout converting configuration.
Good luck on your selection.
AL4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Here's to successful decision making!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Gardner , Alabama
I'm trying to decide on a Sport 22FB or a Flying Cloud 20. I apologize with the answer is somewhere else on the forum as I couldn't find it; but does anyone have experience on whether the tow vehicle could be a Nissan Frontier or a Toyota Tacoma? I understand the specs but would be more comfortable if someone has or know someone who has successfully tolled with the smaller pickups.
lanceboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceboyd View Post
I'm trying to decide on a Sport 22FB or a Flying Cloud 20. I apologize with the answer is somewhere else on the forum as I couldn't find it; but does anyone have experience on whether the tow vehicle could be a Nissan Frontier or a Toyota Tacoma? I understand the specs but would be more comfortable if someone has or know someone who has successfully tolled with the smaller pickups.
Welcome to the forum! You might want to check the list of topics in the "Tow Vehicle" sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

Once there, you can "Search this Forum" for various parameters.

Also, the new search function at the top, inside the solid blue border, works well. Here are the results for "Frontier tow vehicle" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fron...=airforums.com

Good luck!

Peter
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Gardner , Alabama
Thank you so much! Yep, I'm a newbie. I'm still learning how to use the forum. Again, thank you so much!!!
lanceboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quite welcome! Airforums.com is an incredible resource.

PS -- When you have a few days to read the 20-footer thread, you might enjoy our "fan club" --

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...rs-127845.html

The best model in the AS line-up until you get up to 25' IMO.