Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Bambis and Floor Rot

Do the Bambi floor plans suffer from the floor rot issues of the larger models? Most of the posts of floor rot are 25 Safaris due to water penetration between the bumper and the body trim. During my research I found this blog about the problems of a 2007 20 model. So sad.

The Silver Snail :: Why Airstream does not deserve the love :: FLOOR ROT IN 2007 LATE-MODEL AIRSTREAM

I'm going to look at a 2009 Flying Cloud 20 hopefully this weekend. Is there anyway determine if it has some floor rot occurring?

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Wanting to install new vinyl in my 2006 19' Bambi SE, I first pulled the old vinyl up beneath our couch in the front of the trailer. Next to, and under, the couch is the water pump and storage tank. Most of the plywood floor from side to side, extending out about 3' from the front of the trailer was, or had been soaked. I do not believe it has been leaking long as there is no rotting or fungus growing (just some damp, blackened plywood). I have thought all along it was the water line connections on the pump and connections to the water tank were the problem because a couple were not snug. Today I removed the vinyl from the front end to the bedroom (about half of the flooring inside--no other dampness noted).
Our Bambi is parked next to the house under a carport which makes me thank it IS the connections causing the leak. I am going to make sure my filler line and overflow tube are not leaking. Also, I am going to run a solid line from the tank to the pump. That one particular line has two elbows and a connection to the tank--all possible leak'ers.

I am certainly glad I read your post so I can include more investigating to my project. I hope this might shed some light on your project. Best....

mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
I just bought the same 2006 Bambi. Did you ever figure out the problem and any idea if this is an issue with this model and year. Any other ideas and or advice is certainly welcome!
Thanks, Mark
Markj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
My 2006 suffered the same fate and it was in fact the filler line and overflow line leaking. While in transit, the water would leak out the connector, down the wall and between the vinyl flooring and the plywood all undetected. Lines are now tightened, sealed and checked on a regular basis and have been leak-free the last 5 years. Definitely something to be put on the "regular maintenance" list!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Your right about the preventative maintenance log....keep an eye on it. I ran new line utilizing new crimps and made sure all connections are snug.

I did find, however, that the fill tube from the outside to the fresh water tank can make for some exasperating moments. trying to make a good connection from the fill opening to the tank is impossible the ways I tried it. I have not screwed the outside connection down..left loose. I cannot figure out how to tighten both ends. Oh well, at least I know of the problem and will use caution if I ever use it..Good luck with the Bambies...their great aren't they?

I replaced the tile throughout the trailer and it sure looks better than the standard flooring, I must say.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
proud owner
2006 16' International CCD
2007 25' International CCD FB
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
unresolved floor rot in a 2006 Bambi

My experience has been a nightmare and is not resolved. Airstreams are not what they used to be in my humble opinion and Quality Control is subpar. Aside from floor rot, my air conditioner ran out of warranty before I used it and found it to not work. My wall lights only work intermittently, after 10 years I still find metal shavings in the bathroom, I bought a beautiful trailer made by a company that was top of the line and what I got was a badly engineered remake of a once upon a time great idea that lasted a lifetime.

jmerrell is offline   Reply With Quote