Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Bambi 19' Newbie Questions

Just picked up a new to me 2006 Bambi 19. Getting ready for our first trip in 2 weeks

Couple Questions

Refrigerator-I know the switch by the door controls the cooling fan...is this a simple on/off switch? Will the refrig keep its temperature if I just turn it off overnight?

Generator-I'm looking at getting a Honda 2000 generator to keep the batteries up and run everything but air condit. I notice the "companion" model has a 30amp outlet. Is this the model I should get or just get an adapter and the model with 2 20amp outlets.

Thanks in advance for any tips.........
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Tucson , Arizona
Get the Honda and the companion. I use one when I'm not running a lot and both are needed for the A/C. The honda's are great, when you connect them together you can use either the primary or the companion so they both get the same amount of usage and you just need the one 30 amp plug no matter which one your using.

Also, the microwave wont work on just one of the units. So if your planning on using anything other than TV, and the 12 V things one is not enough.
MarioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Congratulations on the new addition, we have a 2006 as well. I find that for 3 day outings I can get by without the generator by using our free standing solar panel. There are loads of discussions about solar on forums.
With regard to the refrigerator, we've rarely had to use the fan at all, and never at night.
Welcome!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
With regards to the refrigerator switch others may have different thoughts - but I vividly recall our orientation session where we were advised that it is OK to turn the fan off - and it didn't take long to figure out that the cooling fan noise was an irritant - well - we tried turning the switch off - once - the short story is that the fins became very warm - and the upper area of the fridge compartment became so warm as to be noticeable inside the trailer - so the switch was turned back on and has never been turned off since.

If you really don't plan to use your generator to power your air conditioner, and have a smaller microwave (we don't have one at all), then you do not need a 2000W generator. We have more than comfortably used a 1000W for 6 seasons now - for the most part the unit just idles away as it recharges the battery - we did make sure that my wifes hair dryer was no greater than 1000W and that our portable vacuum cleaner was the same - generator powers both just fine (obviously not together). We did install a Fantastic Fan the same year we purchased the generator - it's no air conditioner - but it is a very reasonable second best for the occasional hot night in our chunk of the world.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Thanks for the replies.....Keep them coming.

One other question...on the system monitor panel my black water sensor light is not lit. Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! I got my almost new Bambi this Winter and love it. As for the fan on the fridge when it's hot I leave it on night and day when camping in hot weather. I have solar and it works well with dry camping if you don't use alot of lights and the tv. I did buy a Yamaha 2400 ishc and it will run the ac and keep everything charged. I really like it. Also you might change your lights to LEDs. We went with the warm lights and the use less power ( inverter runs less) and provide nice light. Have fun! It's a great unit.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
As a former Floridian, I found that there are not a lot of boondocking sights where you need a generator. I found that most all of the state parks had electric and gave you the option to run AC. Unfortunately, their are very few days when don't need it. But, if you feel you need to get a generator for those off the grid camping spots, get the Honda 2000 companion as it is a plug and go with a $5 plug adapter.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome aboard! You're in the right place for all things Airstream!

You can turn the frig fan off if it bothers you at night...we switched our fan out for a much quieter fan and we leave it on all the time in our climate...it has a thermostat so it turns itself off and on as long as you have the switch in the "on" position. Override it by turning the switch off when it's too loud for you...it's most important in warmer climates.

RE generators, we got a Honda 2000i Companion ... but either a regular 2000 or a Companion will be fine... you just need a different adapter for each one. (15-amp-to-30 amp for the regular and a twsit-n-turn-30-amp-to-a-regular-30-amp for the Companion)... A single 2000 is not recommended for the AC, but it will run our small stand-alone microwave just fine (we have an oven so we take along a small microwave if we are going to need it)... We will be getting a second (regular) Honda 2000 eventually so we will have AC capability when needed. We have found that having the generator has opened up a wider range of camping options (dry camping and boon docking) ...we enjoy no longer being limited to campgrounds that offer electricity.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
TB

I see that you travel with two cockers. We have a buff (8mos) and a parti (8yrs) and hope to include them in some future trips.

Any hints on successfull travels? Where do they sleep during the night? Are you able to leave them during the day?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #10

Olathe , Kansas
We travel with 2 labs and they sleep on the front dinette/bed and love it. We don't bring them along if were over 3 nights.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
TB

I see that you travel with two cockers. We have a buff (8mos) and a parti (8yrs) and hope to include them in some future trips.

Any hints on successful travels? Where do they sleep during the night? Are you able to leave them during the day?
We love cockers! This is our 2nd set...Sadie is blonde and Annie is black...our Girls are getting up there...they are both 13 years old...Sadie is not getting around as well as she once did but she LOVES to go camping, as does Annie, who has her own set of health issues...they go everywhere with us...

They sleep on the bed with us which make it kinda tight sometimes, but we all know our respective places, so it works... They do not like it if we suggest that they sleep on the floor...but sometimes one or both do decide to stretch out on the floor where they have more room, especially is it's a warm night. We put their doggie pillows on the floor to lounge on in the evenings.

We can leave them inside the trailer when we need to be away for a while ...never for very long...neither one is destructive and they don't bark when we're not there, which is good...of course they act like they've been waiting at the door for us the entire time, but we know that they are actually napping while were gone!

We do leave the AC on for them if it's warm and if not, we leave the fantastic vent on to bring fresh air in...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Freezer Latch/Bambi 19

On our Refrig/Freezer the freezer door opens when the refrig is opened. It appears that the freezer door has a latch but the body of the refrig does not have a corresponding catch.

Does any of this make sense?
Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
freezer door

On our 2008 Bambi I believe the freezer door is spring loaded to the closed position. It has no latch. I think there is a right and left hinge pin spring assy.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #14

Olathe , Kansas
You must be missing the spring. It should stay closed with the door open. Take a look and you can order the new parts from ant AS dealer. Good luck! Easy projects are the best.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The noise from the refrigerator fan has been a topic before. Have a look here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...lly-11811.html .

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Congratulations on your new 19' Bambi. I recommend that you study the threads started and contributed by Johnco and TB Rich. These guys know my Bambi better that I do. A couple of my own contributions are: For just a few days you probably won't need a generator. I have a Honda Eu2000i and it runs the microwave (built-in from AS). During this time of the year I would assume that you probably won't be bothered much frig fan. I recently dry camped in Yosemite Valley for a week...no power except a small solar panel to give Bambi a boost. The problem was we were in a very shady campsite so I had to keep moving the panel. I have installed LED's inside. Finally, my black water sensor (monitor) never has worked correctly. (I got Bambi new).

Good Luck and Welcome. Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	113051  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi