Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Bambi 16' Sports customizing /upgrade questions

The forum is really helpful. So interesting to read.
Still have some questions on bambi 16 sports.

Awning - My wife really likes the red awning appeared in 16 international. Is it easy to get it changed? Where can I buy it?

Fantastic Fan - What type of fan is it for 16 sports? Is it product of Welcome to Fan-Tastic Vent! If yes, Which model is it?

Battery - If one more battery is added, I suppose there should be a regulator automatically handle the 2 battery, am I right?

Generator - I found one in costco, has anyone used it before? http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html Is it OK one?

Inverter - I heard sports 16 doesn't have build-in inverter. I wonder how you guys work around this?

Rockguard - Has anyone installed rockguard on sports 16. How much dose it cost roughly?

PowerJack - If I want to upgrade the manual one to a power jack, is it easy DIY or I'd better let dealer help do it? How much does it cost?

I have no known friend has Airstream. So I have so many questions.
Thanks guys in advance.
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
For my part, I don't think I'd bother with a power jack on a light little trailer. Unless you have a problem that makes it difficult to crank the jack, stick with it for a while and see if it works for you.

I don't know how that particular trailer is laid out, but if there's a way to install an identical battery in the same battery box or to install a larger box in the same location that will accomodate 2 batteries, as long as they're properly wired in parallel you won't need any extra hardware, you'll just have 2x the amount of electrical storage.

As to that Smarter Tools generator, if I didn't already have a good, quiet generator I'd give it a try. If it's terrible in the short term, Costco will take it back after all. The new one (the one you pictured, actually) is capable of parallel operation if you wanted to sometimes run the AC from the generator. I've been hoping on a "fire sale" price on the last few of the non-parallel-capable previous model at my local Costco, but I think they're just going to leave them at $599 until they eventually sell.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Go with the power jack if you are using a WD hitch. You have to go up and down 2X to install the bars each time. That is raise to back the ball under, lower onto ball and clip the tooth around the ball, lift whole unit with tow vehicle, install bars/chains, lower all the way. Even on the 16 the manual screws are very tight pitch so you are spinning A LOT. You will do the procedure once and wish you got the electric. Just makes life easier. Take the fuse out when you are at your site so the local kids can play with the pretty switches to their hearts content without folding you frame against the jacks...

Get a Honda generator and save yourself money in the long run. Quietest out there, long lasting and they are less prone to overpowering stuff. I got the i2000 and the i2000 extender unit with the 30amp plug. Love the i3000 as well, but for me the pair of smaller ones works better for other stuff as well. They might cost more, but in the long run they are a better value in my opinion. If all I was running were power tools any would do. There are some fine electronics in the camper that can pay the price on crude generators. If you do not heed this at least get a great surge protector for everything. Not a cheapy there either.

Second battery requires wiring and a battery box, not much else.

Don't know about red awnings. I like the grey just fine.

The Fantastic fan in my 2014 16 is fantastically loud. As are ALL rotating items in said trailer. Thank God I am pretty deaf, I take out the hearing aids and they are a nice background noise...

I had the section guards (rock guards come on the windows - section guards I think are what they call the stainless lower guards) installed. They rivet them in place, they are NOT hinged like the larger units and they do NOT cover the banana wrap. They tell me they cost $900. I got them thrown in my deal.

I bought an inverter after market, but have not used/installed it yet.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

2014 16' Sport
Tampa , Florida
Good afternoon,
hope it will help. The things we've got instantly for our Sport 16" were:

1) Rock guards (bought used from dealer, the total with installation $450).
2) Extra battery with cover mounted at A-frame (dealer bonus).
3) Surge guard with Amp meter (external, $279).
4) Screen door guards top and bottom (dealer installed, $128).
5) 1156 LED bulbs *10 ($13.50 a piece, next time would buy via Amazon - twice cheaper online).
6) Paper towel holder above kitchen sink (very useful, $5 at Walmart).
7) Hooks for kitchen towels above kitchen sink (dealer installed, $5).
8) Wire shelfs in wardrobe (DIY, approx. $50 for shelfs, free cut at Home Depot, screws, brackets).
9) Hitch coupler snap-on lock ($80).
10) Power timer to switch AC on 3 times a day in storage ($15 at Home Depot).

Working on now:

11) Noctua NF-S12A cooling fan for fridge replacement (the most annoying thing in trailer, bought two $44 at Amazon, will get mounting bracket at Home Depot).
12) Oceanair Cabinshade kitchen, bath windows and ceiling fan shades (approx. $90 a piece but make real difference in performance and look, didn't take exact measures yet).
13) Husky 4500 lbs. electric jack with wireless remote ($277 at Amazon, I think will be installing by myself).
14) Dometic upgrade kit for manual controlled ceiling AC unit (thermostat, controller, air direction box without controls, part approx. $200, labor - waiting for estimate from dealer as I want to keep warranty).
15) Advanced wax-like protection shield for entire body ($650, good for 2-3 years).

Future plans:

16) Water filtration system (second small faucet for pure drinking water, filter will be mounted under sink).
17) Inverter 12V to 110V (sometimes microwave is essential, and TV may add some fun).
18) Stainless steel LP gas tanks and covers (looks really good).
19) Some stainless steel upgrades (fridge, water heater grills and shower cover).
20) Cellular and wi-fi booster (essential as e-mail access for us is must have).
21) Some outside LED lights (body mounted).
22) Fantastic 7350 or similar ceiling fan (with thermostat and rain sensor).
23) Satellite dome and receiver (not essential).
24) Solar panels and battery charging controller (not essential)

That's real shame that Airstream is saving a little dollar on simple but useful things. It's only a $200 for parts but may be much more for labor to upgrade manual AC to thermostat. At factory it would cost them only $50 in parts difference. The same with fridge fan which is itself a nonsense, the cheapest and the most loud ever made! They could add a few bucks and get a normal one, I'm not speaking about high-end, just good one. Ok, electric jack - a kind of luxury equipment, but the blinds for $5 a piece instead of good yacht-style rolling shades for "on the road" applications just doesn't make sense to me!

Good thing that almost all upgrades we're about to make can be removed and replaced with original parts that we keep in case future owner or dealership will no want to adequate count them in price or trade-in value.

If somebody have questions or ideas about what else we can upgrade in 16" Sport, I'd be happy to get them. Take care.
PrivatePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Wow, these are so helpful!!!!!!
Seems it makes me to consider doing more research before put an offer on it.

And awning wise, we like this: https://flic.kr/p/caBujN
No one have the same requirement?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
One stupid question, when using generator during boondocking, where do you guys put the generator for the whole night if you have A/C on?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #7

2014 16' Sport
Tampa , Florida
Good evening,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfly View Post
One stupid question, when using generator during boondocking, where do you guys put the generator for the whole night if you have A/C on?
I do believe that Dometic units installed in Airstreams don't have an air intake. Basically, they just recirculate room air turning compressor on/off for cooling and dehumidifying in cooling mode and recirculating air with heat strip on all the time in heat mode.

Based on this fact, if all windows closed you're almost isolated from outdoor air and it really doesn't matter where you put your generator. In addition, all harmful exhaust gases is heavier than air and virtually would not be a factor even with all windows open.

I didn't buy a generator for our coach yet, but when we get it there will be two things: get a clever thermostat first, so AC works only when needed - it not only saves power but good from point of noise (when AC is off generator will reduce its working level as well); get a wind forecast or measure wind and put generator on a long cable in the place the exhaust will be directed and blown away from Airstream.

If generator noise is you concern, you may use and old sound engineer's trick for micing drums on a small club stage - use a kind of transparent screen around. You actually may use a big tree and put generator behind it, or big fire ring. The idea is that screen reflects most of sound waves in different direction and doesn't come to your Airstream with full volume. Of course you will hear generator but the screen may cut a lot of decibels.
PrivatePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Shockfly,
The red awning looks great, go for it.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Just a guess, but I suspect the cute photo of the bambi 16 with the red awning is the DWR (Design Within Reach) 2006 International 16 Bambi. Note the full pano windows at the rear.

Just mentioning, because if this look appeals to you, you may want to google image search and see how they did other things for this trailer.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Cottage Grove , Minnesota
PrivatePilot- can you talk more about shelving system in the wardrobe? I need to do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jlongtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am not sure that generator, or any 2000 generator, will run your air conditioner. You need to check that. Big discussions on the forums sometimes. But I do not know the size of the AC on the Bambi. People I know who regularly run the AC with a gen have a 3000 in the bed of the truck or 2, 2000 sitting on the ground with a add on fuel supply.

I have not run a gen all night for the AC. When it is that hot I move to a campsite with power.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Mine will. I have the i2000 and the i2000 extender. It will run on either or both. At least on mine. Now I would not run the water heater or the micro with only one hooked up though.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' sport