Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
16 or 19… Personal preference for sure, easy for us.

Not sure you're still following this thread. Have the 19'. Something to remember regardlesss of which you choose… One of the REALLY cool things about the Airstream is that the frame and exterior are built first. EVERYTHING that goes into the trailer comes in through the door. Here's the thing… We loved our 19 but the fixed bed was such a pain in the neck. Crampped the floor space and getting into and out of the bath was very tight. After putting up with the fixed bed for years, I finally ripped it out and turned our bed into a pull-out bed from a "L" shaped sofa. Gave us a ton of extra floor space and the bed is easily converted by having storage space under the clothing in the closet. The sofa is jsut great for spending rainy days sitting inside reading and having coffee together. Much better use of space (at least for us).

We really value the extra space and wouldn't want a 16', but that's all a matter of personal preference. Regardless of which is "right" for you, the options to modify are absolutely endless! You can change so much with a little effort adn imagination! You will NEVER regret your airstream investment! It was a huge leap for us, as it costs twice the competition, but worth every penny! Make your pic and ENJOY! Chose whatever rig you'll use the most. Once you are an owner, you can always trade up or down to suit changing desires, or modify like we did to tailor it to our particular desires. It's the initial investment that kind of hurts.

Best of luck!

skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
Liquid Cooled
2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
We have a 16' and it's enough room for the four of us. We've spent a rainy & cool (50's Farenheit) week in October, and it was fine. Everybody needs to be cool, but it's actually pretty good. If the kids bring friends, we bring the bigger tent. Sometimes we bring it anyway :-)

The 31' we had before could get a little cramped and we sometimes had trouble reserving a good spot, or sometimes any spot at all. When we decided to look again, we capped the length at 23' to avoid that. It turns out the 16 felt more open than the 19', to us anyway.

In between the two we did tents and cabins for a couple years, which may have skewed our perspective.

But really, any camper is a compromise - how much you are willing to adapt to nature vs. how much do you expect your equipment to insulate you from it.

RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #17

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have had our 19' International for 5 years now and LOVE it! We looked at the 16' but really didn't like the wet bath and I wanted an oven. We started out towing it with an Acura MDX but moved up to a VW Tourareg, the Acura was fine but with the V8 we don't even know it's back there! We have really enjoyed the space in the 19' and having both a black and grey tank has been perfect while boon docking. Spend some time in both sizes and you will get a good idea if you need less or more space.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
We came down to the 16 and love it , we had years ago a boler trailer 13 footer and 2 feet narrower and had our two kids with us , now that's alot smaller than the 16 foot airstream , so the 16 should work for you and your daughter. And when she gets older it doesn't mather how big your trailer is she ain't going camping. At least most teenagers don't they have other interest.

2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #19
2015 19' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We just purchased a 19' International and the few times we have had to use it were some of the best times we've ever had. For 2 people it was so perfect. The Clarion surround sound was better than my home stereo system, the adjustable lighting was very sexy. I am looking for a small lot within an hour of where we live to "get away" now. We love the 19' and would highly recommend it.
2015 19' International Signature Bambi
RA19SigInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Scottsdale , Arizona
We will be celebrating 2 years with our 16' and we love it!. We don't mind the shower deal - we aren't huge people. No oven - no problem..WE"RE CAMPING! We have a microwave which we use rarely - but it's awesome storage for chips, food etc.

As for the wrap window in the bedroom: We're glad we dont' have it in our sport. When we sleep we like it dark. I guess you could add room darkening curtains but then that's a lot of curtains to replace. We keep the reflecting bubble stuff in the windows when not in use - AZ sun. But we keep the one on the bedroom window on and slide it in and out at night. We can sleep past dawn. The window is large enough to see whatever you want to see. If it's that good of a view - I want to be outside in it!

We have lots of pillows which make the dinette into a lounge area when down - which is most of the time when we can eat outside.

We recently spent a Tuesday through a Sunday boondocking and didn't need to dump and added a little more water -Showered at camp facilities. All was good - although I think we just about "topped off" the black tank!

No intension of moving up to a larger one - unless we find a shell to rehab!

BTW - we have taken my mom with us on a weekend and it was great!
Another advantage: you can clean the floor with ONE Lysol wipe!

Have fun!!!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #21
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , clinck
I love my 19' bambi [2007]..LS, LE edition.. I am single and downsized from a 31 foot 5th Wheel. Although it's small, I have everything I need for a comfortable experience on the road.. My TV is a Silverado diesel so it's effortless traveling in the mountains out here in the West.
David Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
Orange County , California
Hi Pete,
Just keep looking, you will find something you like.
I feel so lucky to have a 16ft Sport its a 2008, must be rare.
The "bathroom " is in the rear it spans the width of the trailer. Shower is spacious an separate from the toilet. I LOVE IT!! This trailer works wonderful for me. (I'm a girl ; ))
The L shape sofa in the front makes into the only bed. (Can be the only negative for some)
towing with a V8 Chevy - easy/breezy
It has separate black and grey tanks - a plus.
No wrap around windows,no worries I love the outdoors. Used to tent camping.
Silver Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
We have a 16'. There are four of us. So far we pitch a tent for the kids about half the time but honestly, it is not bad at all sleeping 4 in the trailer.

We chose the 16' over the 19' in part because the dinette makes into a couch that faces the length of the camper. The couch fits all four of us on a rainy evening and we can watch movies together. The 19' dinette would have fit us all but it faces the "kitchen" which is RIGHT there in your face.

The wet bath is just fine. We haven't showered in it yet. We usually use campground showers anyway. We did use the little door for the outside shower to wash hair. No problems. I will say that we used to own a 31' and kept the dirty laundry in the bath tub. Very handy. Now in the 16' so far we are keeping the dirty laundry in the little bins at either end of the bed (but it must be mildew) . I may switch that to one of the plastic bins stored under the bed. Our little trash can is kept in the bathroom (yes, there is room on the shelf) to keep it from being kicked around and to keep the dogs out of it when we take them with us for the weekend.

I was a little afraid the 16' would be too small for 4 of us, but we spent a full week in it last fall and we were just fine! The single waste tank was just fine too.

Yesterday I purchased one of those fabric shoe racks to keep in the tiny closet. It has a couple of drawer inserts and I feel it will be great clothes storage.

I bought a collapsible dish drainer at Target that stores nicely under the little sink when not in use.
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
City , Wandering
Just brought home our new 16' Bambi--so far it seems plenty large enough for two adults. Things might get a bit tight when it's four people, three cats, and two dogs, but we'll see! And that will be very rare.

Love how easy it is to tow....
TiaDalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Congratulations on your new 16; we went back and forth for a few months as well and we just brought this beauty home - our new 19 Flying Cloud. In the end, the extra tank capacities and separate shower was the deciding factor. Enjoy your new AS.Click image for larger version

Name:	BambiestaAtHome.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	234964
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
What are you using for your TV?
MarcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
City , Wandering
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
What are you using for your TV?
BMW X3 28i--plenty of power and stability so far....
TiaDalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #28
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi
2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Originally Posted by LongShot View Post
Congratulations on your new 16; we went back and forth for a few months as well and we just brought this beauty home - our new 19 Flying Cloud. In the end, the extra tank capacities and separate shower was the deciding factor. Enjoy your new AS.Attachment 234964
Those are very nice! Congratulations! You hit the nail on the head, as have others. If you desire to NOT use campground facilities and use your own the 19 makes much more sense. Between the dry bath and tanks it rules.
We bought the 16 but were used to tent camping so it has worked out well for us. The only other I would consider at this time is the 20 which we always loved, but was just too much money for us. They are all fun though. Happy camping!

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote