Old 09-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #1

Park City , Utah
Bambi 16 or 19 Alternative

I love airstreams. I've been to the dealer and spent time in them all. Borrowed one from our friends. Love them. I can't afford one.

If you were looking for a small SOB/Airstream alternative w/price as a very important factor, what would you consider?

There's a great used market for travel trailers where I live, but I'm trying to find the signal through the noise.

ljschnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I just went through this exact decision and I'm on day 4 most-timing in my Sport 16. The alternatives that I would have seriously considered were the Rpod rear kitchen model, and the Tab 400. The thing is, they don't cost that much less and I wouldn't have been as happy with them (though the kitchen in that Rpod...). I can point to some practical things like not having to worry about delamination, not having a weird sink shoved into my wetbath, not being in the Rpod RK where your windows are on the wrong side of the trailer, that I've got a fan in BOTH the bathroom and the living area that aren't the same fan, but also it just feels better to be in the beautiful environment of the Airstream.

But I guess it's all relative- I went with an older model tow vehicle to save slightly less than I would have "saved" by getting an Rpod... Only you know what is "worth it" to you.

halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
There are lots of SOBs out there--Oliver, Escape, Casita, Scamp, Rpod, etc. so yes, your head can start spinning with choices. Although I can't make a suggestion on a brand other than Airstream, I can suggest that one of the top things you consider is the bed size.

The Bambi 16, which I own, and many other AS models have a 48" wide bed. I am 5'5" medium build and my partner is 6'2". He never complains, but after 5 days on the road I'm feeling claustrophobic and as though I've been sleeping in a cocoon. And after 3 weeks, I'm ready for home. Thus, if I had to buy over again, I'd purchase a 19' instead of the 16'.

Aside from quality of construction and cost, the bed size should be your top consideration. After all, where will you be spending the most time in your trailer? In bed.

If you are only going to do weekend camping, never mind what I just wrote.
Lonekingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Totally agree with LoneKingFish. I'm a one person show. There's no way I could live in the Sport 16 as a couple- the "queen" bed is in fact merely a couple of inches off from a full. Though there are couples who say they've happily spent months in the Sport 16. But it sure wouldn't be me.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The 16 and 19' models have been around for a *long* time. They have always been popular. If the Aluminum bug has bitten hard .... shop for a used one.

At some point, you do get into a range of "I can't afford >$X,XXX" for an RV and all the ones I like are 5X that". Either you save more money or you lower your expectations ..... More likely the first than the second option. There's not much that can be done about having good taste

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
stratford , Connecticut
Have you looked at a t@b? They are great fun with a wonderful group of people who have them. Easy to tow. And they now come with a bathroom, ours didn't and we gave it to our daughter and moved up to a 16' Bambi. Bed was too small for the 2 of us and we didn't like having to make up the dinette which wasn't very comfortable. Adding memory foam helped but there was no place to store it. Now we have a 25' Flying Cloud. You're right, they are pricey. Get whatever trailer you can afford and go camping

patnal is offline   Reply With Quote